PDA

View Full Version : Ageia PhysX card

PACACE
06-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Does anyone have experience with this product? I wonder what it would do for me however I'll wait for the price to come down, 300 is steep. I wonder if it runs hot or not and how much power it needs. I went to the sight Ageia.com and saw it offered at best buy. Next time I'm there maybe I'll see one. At the sight it said Splinter Cell supports it and thats ubisoft so I wonder if that could imply that PF may get some attention on a update. I better tell those Storm of War guys on that forum that it could be a PhysX game also.

lbhskier37
06-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by PACACE:
Does anyone have experience with this product? I wonder what it would do for me however I'll wait for the price to come down, 300 is steep. I wonder if it runs hot or not and how much power it needs. I went to the sight Ageia.com and saw it offered at best buy. Next time I'm there maybe I'll see one. At the sight it said Splinter Cell supports it and thats ubisoft so I wonder if that could imply that PF may get some attention on a update. I better tell those Storm of War guys on that forum that it could be a PhysX game also.

You better look at your graphics card a bit first before you drop money on a physics card that is currently only supported in like 2 games.

VW-IceFire
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by PACACE:
So far the PhysX has slowed down any of the games its supposed to support. Not aware of any testing to show the opposite. The technology is too new and too early. The PhysX I think will be the S3 Virge of physics accelerators (the S3 Virge was better known as the 3D deceelerator - I was priviledged enough to own one of those completely not by choice).

slipBall
06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Yea I read that also, plus the little bugger is power hungry, even drawing the same power demand while not being at full bore. Still Oleg and 1c see something, and maybe we will see a potential to justify a purchase if they utilize in sow

WTE_Galway
06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
It doesnt actually slow the games down.

But the extra detail generated means you need a couple of SLI top end graphics card to get reasonable frame rates with full physics acceleration.

Plus few games support it yet.

Very much a wait and see technology at present.

NonWonderDog
06-30-2006, 09:37 PM
The only version I've seen so far runs on bog standard 15 year old PCI, too. AT LEAST wait until there's a PCIe version out.

Bearcat99
07-03-2006, 04:22 PM
UNless you are having difficulty running other stuff I recommend that you waoit until BoB ius released for several reasons.
1)The prices should be a little lower
2)Who knows we may have mobos with the PhysX built in... things move pretty fast in the hardware world. Four years ago the 9700Pro was ll the rage.... Now it is a dinosaur... a still living one.. but a dinosaur none the less.
3)FB is pretty much my benchmark for my PC.. I have found that if it runs FB well then it runs most other things decently... and since simming is my main thing I dont want to buy anything today that I might have to upgrade after BoB comes out. Better IMO to wait and see what the Genie needs before I start making dishes.

Agamemnon22
07-07-2006, 04:25 PM
IMO, the standalone physics card will be dead in a little while, there is no real market for it and the price is too high.
In multiplayer games, you either require everyone to have the card, because the game world can't be different between those with physics and those without, OR you make it for non-game-critical features, so basically, eye candy, which few people can justify spending 250 bucks on. Either way, it isn't selling.

Nvidia or ATI will probably snag up Ageia in a little while and integrate the physics processor on videocard to make it more palatable to the market.

So, don't get it now, wait and see what happens, especially if it's only for IL-2/SoW.

Capt.LoneRanger
07-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Until a few days ago, there were only reports from nVidia and ATi who claimed to be able to surpass the Aegia-Chipset in a matter of month.

The last report, from an independent hardware reviewer stated, nVidia and ATi are miles away from what Aegia is capable of and current games are only scratching the surface of this hardware.

As Aegia self put it, it's something like the ole Voodoo-cards. Maybe at some point they'll be obsolete, but right now, they enhance gameplay drastically.

Aaron-J
07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
The 1C company has announced full support for Ageia. All of its internal studios have access to it. Heres a link: http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1151323090169

|CoB|_Spectre
07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
The announcement actually said 1C has signed a "publisher-wide licensing agreement for Ageia PhysX technology". This would cover 1C if any of the titles they distribute or develop makes use of the Ageia card, but makes no statement as to their actual commitment to incorporate the technology.

Tom's Hardware has a thought provoking article on the PhysX chip and Nvidia's rival technology. It explains the pros, cons, and differences in how each will approach physics processing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/19/can_ageia/

macd1102
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
i read the whole article and it seems to imply they are currenty incoperating this into games, this was part of that article.

1C Company also has internal game development studios and a variety of external developers that will benefit from 1C Company‚‚ā¨ôs license for AGEIA PhysX technology. As a result, gamers in the Russian market will soon have access to a broad selection of physics-optimized games that support the AGEIA PhysX processor, the industry‚‚ā¨ôs first and only dedicated physics processing unit. 1C Company developers are currently incorporating the AGEIA PhysX SDK into several new games, with the first titles supporting the AGEIA PhysX Processor scheduled to be released later this year.

Aaron-J
07-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah thats why I posted the link. That paragraph that macd1102 posted was the one that got me excited about Physx. So far its only been used for eye candy. But what about its possible uses in a highly advanced sim like BoB? (Although more pieces falling off your plane is a given, assuming it is incorporated into the game).