PDA

View Full Version : Blocky/dancing shadows and messed up textures?

pazzaar
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
What I find in AC2 (xbox360) is that there appears to be 'sphere' around your character that will render high quality textures and shadows. Textures and shadows outside of the sphere will become an inceasing low resoluton the farther away you become from it. A noticible place is that when riding on a horse in a field, it gives the illusion that I am 'mowing' the grass (when in fact the textures load infront and around me).

I wouldn't mind this so much if it weren't for the god awful shadows in this game. For some reason, shadows not in the shpere will be blocky and at a low resolution constantly. Not only this, but they apparently 'dance' around, changing shapes constantly. Extremely noticible is when I am on top of a high building in the middle of any city, and look around, trying to take in the graphics, but all I can see are shadows on houses going NUTS and dancing EVERYWHERE, whilst still having that low resolution blockness to it!

Why is this 'dancing' a problem? Is this because of the cycle of day and night the game is attempting to create? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

LaurenIsSoMosh
12-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes, it's the night and day cycle.

For smaller buildings, the transitions are smoother and less of an eyesore. But go find yourself a tall building, go stand on top of its shadow a few streets over, and it's like watching the second hand on an old clock. Clunky and abrupt.

RhedmondBarry
12-27-2009, 09:23 PM
This has been bugging me recently as well. I played and beat AC2 twice on a standard definition TV. On Christmas I finally recieved an HD TV and played AC2 for a third and fourth time. While the graphics were way better with the HD it also showed me problems I was missing before. It seems the draw distance of the graphics is only about 100m or so and now the click clock shadows are bugging me way more than before. I am almost tempted to go back to standard definition to rid myself of this nuisance. Just had to get that off my chest, great game besides that!

Acastle
12-28-2009, 12:57 AM
The shadow LOD is really bad looking. Sometimes I'll be climbing across a ledge and the shadows draw right right in front/next to me as I keep going in a certain direction.