PDA

View Full Version : Oleg's HUD display ~ Community geniuses needed!

Feathered_IV
04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Here's the thing. Ever been annoyed by the jumbo sized lettering on the in-game hud screen?
Ever wished you could use boost on your Luftie-kite without the banner headline ~ GottermanderungNiebelungenliedUberBoost ENABLED! filling half the screen? Ever lost your target because of it?
Ever looked down over your shoulder to watch your latest hard-won victory hit the deck, only to have it covered up by the ENEMY AIRCRAFT DESTROYED message at the exact moment it explodes?

Ever wished those pesky messages were smaller? Ever wished someone would do something about it????

Yeah, me too! And to that end I've been messing around under the bonnet to see if there is anything that can be done to sim-size them.

I'm not saying I've figured it out. But I think I've found a few clues about how the game uses font sizes, and I'm hoping to put them out there in case any of our resident brains can add any more pieces to the puzzle. Maybe there is something we can do here.

One thing I found while sniffing around the '46 main directory was the "Lib" folder.

Inside are a few sub-folders (one called Fonts) plus a bunch of "font.properties" files.
These properties files have extensions such as, font.properties AR file & font.properties.ru etc.
The font.properties seems to be our default English one (thanks google). If you open it with notepad, there is fifty or sixty lines of stuff like this:

dialog.0=Arial,ARABIC_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED
dialog.1=WingDings,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED
dialog.2=Symbol,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED

dialog.bold.0=Arial Bold,ARABIC_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED
dialog.bold.1=WingDings,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONVER TED
dialog.bold.2=Symbol,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED

dialog.italic.0=Arial Italic,ARABIC_CH****T,NEED_CONVERTED
dialog.italic.1=WingDings,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONV ERTED
dialog.italic.2=Symbol,SYMBOL_CH****T,NEED_CONVERT ED

dialog.bolditalic.0=Arial Bold blah blah blah....

Inside the Fonts sub-folder, there is a single font file called "LucidaSansRegular" TrueType Font File.

Take a look inside your folder - I'd be interested to see if you have a different one.
When I open mine up, It has samples of the Lucida type, and different sized variations of the same sentence - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1234567890.

Now for some conjecture:

What I'm guessing is that with regards to displaying text in our otherwise zip-locked Il-2 series. The game doesn't refer to some preset font or .tga inside the SFS files. It actually orders takeout. It takes the size and style of font from either this Lucida TrueType thing, those font.properties files, or it gets it from the "global" font size for that font type, that it finds in your windows directory. Have a look in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. LucidaSansRegular is in there too!

Now, what I'm thinking is that if this font information is located outside of the Il-2 game SFS files, we can mess with it.
It may well be possible to make or modify a font file with smaller type, then label it LucidaSansRegular, effectively tricking the game into using it instead.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with creating or editing fonts? Maybe there is some program that lets you do it. Maybe there are just a few variables in the properties files that need to be changed to reduce the size of the HUD-type....

If you know anything at all, step on up. I don't mind doing the work. I just need to be pointed in the right direction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slipBall
04-08-2007, 10:47 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/Rest.gif

(quote)
Take a look inside your folder - I'd be interested to see if you have a different one.
When I open mine up, It has samples of the Lucida type, and different sized variations of the same sentence - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1234567890

Same here....good luck!

Brain32
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Ever wished you could use boost on your Luftie-kite without the banner headline ~ GottermanderungNiebelungenliedUberBoost ENABLED! filling half the screen? Ever lost your target because of it?

Yes, the bost wep message is extremely annoying with it's size http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
I'll take a look too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
04-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd love to be able to get rid of them altogether! I am astounded you can't switch these off. And, I dn't need to be told a kill is confirmed---really unrealistic in many circumstances.

badatit
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
It'd be great to turn hud off completely.
I did, and tried it for a while.
Unfortunately the P51 (probally others) has no visual cue for radiator setting.
If the key binding was like the one for flaps.
ie: one to cycle open and yet another for cycling closed, I could probally handle it. But, with only one binding to cycle thru all settings...after a few changes, the current setting becomes a guessing game.

Bummed about it, and still using hud.

Davinci..
04-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I'd love to be able to get rid of them altogether! I am astounded you can't switch these off. And, I dn't need to be told a kill is confirmed---really unrealistic in many circumstances.

you can! i do that for offline campaign play(i like the immersion). its in the conf.ini file, might be NoHudLog=1(just guessing, its been a while since i've had to use it)

Davinci..
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by badatit:
It'd be great to turn hud off completely.
I did, and tried it for a while.
Unfortunately the P51 (probally others) has no visual cue for radiator setting.

Bummed about it, and still using hud.

yeah that was the one problem i had with it, i couldnt tell if i was overheating or not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Everything else about it is so much better/more realistic/immersive.

LEBillfish
04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:

You can...check you manual. ALso size, position and as you alude to font can be as well I believe.

Badsight-
04-08-2007, 05:46 PM
hacking the interface ?

http://imgboot.com/images/badsight/funwithdevicelink.jpg

leitmotiv
04-08-2007, 08:27 PM
That is a pain about the rads or I'd nail the text.

VFS-214_Hawk
04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

hehehe thats why real fighters dont have rads!

Feathered_IV
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Might need a bit more information on that Badsight. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Billfish, there are no options to change the colour or font size of text in the manual. Only a couple of options for servers to turn some bit on or off.

I'm not looking to switch everything off completely. I already know how to do that. Some messages such as radiator and prop pitch settings, bombsite elevation and whatnot are still necessary. What I am trying to do is find away to retain the information but make it less obtrusive. Reduce the font size. That is all.

I think if I could find a way to edit the font file so that the 36-point (approx) font that we have is switched for a 10-point one instead, or somethingit should work.

Fireball_
04-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Same kind of issue with the F4U (and I assume the F6F). There's no visual cue in the cockpit for whether the tailwheel is locked or not. I have to have the HUD to tell me that.

BrotherVoodoo
04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
On my 32" lcd TV at 1280x1024 the letters are HUGE! It bothered me enough to turn off my HUD. Unfortunatly I now overheat much more frequently. I would love it if this could be figured out. I also wish the chat box would "time out" to nothing as well. I hate seeing a chat that is 5 mins old.

flox
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Maybe these things should be taken to ORR? I know the HUD won't be made more customizeable in this game at this point, but at least for BoB, maybe someone should suggest this to Oleg (if it hasn't been suggested already this is).

And for the record, I would like more control over the display text too.

FoolTrottel
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I think if I could find a way to edit the font file so that the 36-point (approx) font that we have is switched for a 10-point one instead, or somethingit should work.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gifMe thinks that specific font file does not do much.

I've changed its contents by copying another .ttf file and renaming it to the one in the font folder.

Even renamed the complete 'font' folder.

No change in the Hud font, no change even when the font folder was renamed... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

VFS-214_Hawk
04-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Fireball_:
Same kind of issue with the F4U (and I assume the F6F). There's no visual cue in the cockpit for whether the tailwheel is locked or not. I have to have the HUD to tell me that.

I dont use tailwheel lock, however, if you do use it simply lock it on the runway and dont touch it till after you land. Uunless you land on the CV, but even there you dont need to unlock it...its just that they did in real life.

BrotherVoodoo
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
There is probably no correlation for the text in the aircraft labels and the HUD and chat messages. If we could make the hud/chat the same font and size as the AC labels I would be ecstatic.

Pollack2006
04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Bump for this. I'd like to see the chat-bar font reduced, too. At the moment I have it set for 4 lines of text but the window is still too intrusive.

p-11.cAce
04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I played around with that font file last night and I agree- I don't think they are connected to the hud messages in any way. I think its one of those tough dilemas - either animate every lever (most are but not all) or give us a clickable cockpit. I'm half-way to having my pit built, but unless you wire indicators off of dpdt switches or set up momentary toggle switches even having that is useless when it comes to determining some settings.

Feathered_IV
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
No luck here either. I found a freeware text editor and was able to modify the font file into italics and a smaller size. The game didn'tseem to even notice. I tried renaming the font file. No change was apparent, so I guess that whole file has no purpose. perhaps it gets used in the installation process or something.

I wonder if changing the fonts in windows would do anything?

BrotherVoodoo
04-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe Oleg will help us with the next patch in regards to the font size. I won't hold my breath though... Maybe if we beg and bribe?

Waldo.Pepper
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Been playing around with udp speed these past few days. (Works offline only GRRR!)

But if you turn off the text in the conf.ini then use udp speed you can display most of the things mentioned and up the immersion a ton!

Details here ... for those who need a reminder and those who are interested.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...rch=true#Post2011245 (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=86&Number=2011245&Searchpage=1&Main=218997&Words=instruments++109&topic=0&Search=true#Post2011245)

GISTAND1
07-10-2008, 02:47 AM
In one of the "read me" files there is a reference about "Notes on Using, Modifying and Replacing the Voice Files and Radio Chatter Text Messages".....To make a long story short, I was able to get rid "ALL" text from the HUD..Still working on getting rid of the right-hand text ex. Engine on, Flaps down...etc!!!
First, I opened up the "Il8n" folder in the main root folder of IL2-1946..Then I "double clicked" on the "hud_msg" PROPERTIES File inside the folder, which is the english file...Then I used notepad to open this file ,which changed all the other files to Notepad type files in the I18n folder...In the read me file it made a reference which says.."Please always remember that the left column of this text is the names of files and the right column is the messages that will be displayed on the screen simultaneously with the sounding the voice files, so do not change the left column".
Well I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!!...What I did was took my time and deleted the "right-hand" column text which was long tedius process and saved the file, and opened or started up IL2-1946, started with a single American mission and what I got was the Audio, but "NO" text in upper-left corner of Hud area!!!!!
You can do to the same thing with the "hud_msg_de(German) file, "hud_msg_fr(French), and the hud_msg_pl(Polish) files also!!!...To speed up the the process I made a copy of the "hud_msg" (the English file...) and pasted it on my Desktop and changed the last (2) letters of the French, Polish and German files..Example: hud_msg_pl..and copied the file back into the I18 folder and got a message "Do I want to replace the "hud_msg_pl" file..inwhich I clicked yes or ok...I did all the other files the same way and IT WORK!!!...I also made or changed all of the non-English speech files to english versions..so if I fly as a Russian pilot I would here any audio messages in English!!!...There is a link in the Forum on how the change the non-English Speech file to English..(Note: I used the same process with the "Speech" files as I did with the I18 hud message files)
I have beed trying to solve the Hud Text problem ever since I built my new "Gaming System" using Vista Ultimate 32Bit operating system!!!...(Note: Under Windows Xp there was no problem in changing the config file!!! But Vista IT WAS ANOTHER STORY!!!)
I had been through the whole Pacific Fighter forum and "NO" one had the answer and fix under Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit!!!
I had to share this "HUD FIX" with the other guys and girls on the Forum..I've have gotten a lot of help and problems resolved for Pacific Fighters, IL2-1946...and any other UBISOFT sim I had or have!! ...I HOPE THIS WILL HELP OTHERS!!!!

System:
-Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad
-DFI LANPARTY UT X48 T2R
-4 Gigs OZC Reaper Edition DDR2 PC2-8500 ram
-(2)Sapphire ATI HD 4870 in crossfire mode
-Case: Apevia X-Jupiter S-Type Aluminum full
tower
-Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 watt PSU
-Western Digital 750 Gig SATA HD
-Coolmaster Gemini II Dual 120mm fan cpu cooler...
-Microsoft Vista Ultimate 32Bit OS

DmdSeeker
07-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Shouldn't this be over at the AAA site?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

rnzoli
07-10-2008, 03:19 AM
The funny thing is that this thread was looking at only the legal possibilities, and it seems so does GISTAND1 as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

While there is of course, another way now....

steiner562
07-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
The funny thing is that this thread was looking at only the legal possibilities,
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif And will contiue in that vain.

JG52Uther
07-10-2008, 03:55 AM
GISTAND1 is the new star of the community help forum http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SeaFireLIV
07-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:

You can...check you manual. ALso size, position and as you alude to font can be as well I believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can indeed switch all these off in the difficulty settings. i`ve flown often like this offline, memorising most settings. Unfortunately the radiater setting is a pain since only the P40 actually visually warns you if you`re overheating.

It would be nice to just have this setting on and the others off.

Bearcat99
07-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by GISTAND1:
In one of the "read me" files there is a reference about "Notes on Using, Modifying and Replacing the Voice Files and Radio Chatter Text Messages".....To make a long story short, I was able to get rid "ALL" text from the HUD..Still working on getting rid of the right-hand text ex. Engine on, Flaps down...etc!!!
First, I opened up the "Il8n" folder in the main root folder of IL2-1946..Then I "double clicked" on the "hud_msg" PROPERTIES File inside the folder, which is the english file...Then I used notepad to open this file ,which changed all the other files to Notepad type files in the I18n folder...In the read me file it made a reference which says.."Please always remember that the left column of this text is the names of files and the right column is the messages that will be displayed on the screen simultaneously with the sounding the voice files, so do not change the left column".
Well I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!!...What I did was took my time and deleted the "right-hand" column text which was long tedius process and saved the file, and opened or started up IL2-1946, started with a single American mission and what I got was the Audio, but "NO" text in upper-left corner of Hud area!!!!!
You can do to the same thing with the "hud_msg_de(German) file, "hud_msg_fr(French), and the hud_msg_pl(Polish) files also!!!...To speed up the the process I made a copy of the "hud_msg" (the English file...) and pasted it on my Desktop and changed the last (2) letters of the French, Polish and German files..Example: hud_msg_pl..and copied the file back into the I18 folder and got a message "Do I want to replace the "hud_msg_pl" file..inwhich I clicked yes or ok...I did all the other files the same way and IT WORK!!!...I also made or changed all of the non-English speech files to english versions..so if I fly as a Russian pilot I would here any audio messages in English!!!...There is a link in the Forum on how the change the non-English Speech file to English..(Note: I used the same process with the "Speech" files as I did with the I18 hud message files)
I have beed trying to solve the Hud Text problem ever since I built my new "Gaming System" using Vista Ultimate 32Bit operating system!!!...(Note: Under Windows Xp there was no problem in changing the config file!!! But Vista IT WAS ANOTHER STORY!!!)
I had been through the whole Pacific Fighter forum and "NO" one had the answer and fix under Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit!!!
I had to share this "HUD FIX" with the other guys and girls on the Forum..I've have gotten a lot of help and problems resolved for Pacific Fighters, IL2-1946...and any other UBISOFT sim I had or have!! ...I HOPE THIS WILL HELP OTHERS!!!!

I just deleted the other langauges.. from the hud text all together..

Now you can edit what the hudlog puts out.

I got rid of the nav lights & landing lights messages altogether since I can just look out the window and I use a script to flash my lights. Interesting because this thread could be years old... seeing the date and some of the posters in it who I haven't seen in a while.. I shortened my radiator messages to R2,R3 .... RO,RC,RO/A etc.. WEP is now W!, friendly aircraft destroyed is now !AC, enemny is now +AC ad more... there is now a mod to edit this... and you can probably change the font too although I never tried it. Go to AAA ....

It is funny too because E started a post over there about the radiator thing a few days ago...

RegRag1977
07-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
H~ GottermanderungNiebelungenliedUberBoost ENABLED!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif My God that's a good one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

skarden
07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
You can actually do turn off most of your messages if you like (and it's not even a hack!)go into IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Files\i18n folder open up hud_log_ru and you have access to all of your hud messages.

The action is on ther left and the message that's displayed for it is on the right.If you like you could just delete the messages on the right you dont want and they wont appear at all(although make sure you back it up first in case ya mess something up)ie, like enemy aircraft detroyed or anything else you dont wont and just leave the things you need like engine overheat and rad position.

You can also change things if you want as well,I'v got my enemy aircraft destroyed changed to "downed his a$$!" for a bit of fun and a few other things that i find kinda funny in my wierd way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure bearcat posted this a while back and i thought it was gold at the time(still do!)

edit: lol I shoulda read the second page http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

edit of edit(can you do that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) Dmdseeker you dont need the modded version of the game to do this.it'll work with vanilla IL-2.
try it

WTE_Galway
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Good workaround GISTAND1

The HUD has been one of the more annoying features of IL2 for some time. Some aircraft like the fw190 do not need a HUD at all with visible radiators flap indicators, accurate gauges etc. Some like the Hurricane have features like a radiator cowl indicator near yur feet but then stuff up with gauges that do not work so you cant tell if you are overheating. The lagg has a nice light to tell you that its overheating (or too cold as well) but you have no idea about your radiator unless you are running externals.

The beauty of these file alterations is you can configure files for each plane that show exactly what is needed and no more.

WTE_Ibis
07-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Being red green colourblind just changing the damn colour would do me!