PDA

View Full Version : Boontybox Q &A

Targ
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
It would be nice to have some official information about boontybox.
Many in the community have fears and concerns’ regarding what it does and how it works.
I have requested that someone from Ubi and even boontybox give the community assurance that it is safe to install and use.
Please take the time to pose a question for Ubi and hopefully they will respond thru a Q&A type fashion.
This thread is only for questions regarding boontybox and official add on's for the IL2 series.
Comments will be deleted.

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Here is my posed question for UBI. <groan>

Could you possibly add a description of BoontyBox to the checkout page of the UBIshop website?. A small paragraph telling shoppers what is about to be installed and why. In order to avoid any more uncomfortable surprises. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

JadehawkII
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Since I already paid for it, but cannot run it for some unknown reason, how can I get my purchase? If I cannot get any help or an updated boontybox that works for me, can I get a refund? better yet, can I get a clean copy that does not include boontybox since I already paid for it?
Thanks in advance for the help and thanks to Targ for setting this up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Popey109
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM
And if ubi wants me to pay for it make the damn thing work! I work 10 somtimes 14 hr's in a day *hang, tape and texture* the last thing I feel like doing when I get home or on my one day off is hack ubi's ****! FIX IT! thats not to much to ask! I'm NOT asking Boonty be removed! just fix it so I dont have to go through some 20 step program to make it work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif My credit card is at the ready http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif Let me give you some money!!!

Targ
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
This is on hold for a bit.
Check back later.

Iridium_Layer
05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Here is my question(s):

How does Boontybox differ from Starforce?

More specifically, does Boontybox have any potential whatsoever to disable or in anyway impact my DVD drives functions or speed? I already have 2 DVD drive "paperweights" that Starforce crippled even though I have absolutely no hacked or pirated software in my possesion, and I will not risk using this software unless I have a concrete and specific assurance from the publisher (UBI) or the software developer (Boontybox) that they will cause no harm as a result of their software, and will accept liability if such harm does take place as a result of their code.

I already have successfully avoided any further purchases of Starforce infected product, and will do so again with Bootybox protected software if they cannot resonably assure me that I will not be replacing DVD drives again in a few weeks after installing with it.

For UBI:
I am an avid and longtime IL-2 fan. I awaited the original release and followed it's development with great anticipation. I bought it the day it came out, and have loved it ever since. Same with Forgotten Battles. And Aces Expansion. And Pacific Fighters.

This weekend I had my wallet out to purchase your PE2 addon. I was happy to do so. I do not mind supporting what has been the best game series I have ever played. Then I read about the issues with Boontybox...and I am no longer sure I want to continue my support of the series.

Never before have you (to my knoweledge) resorted to such intrusive software copy protection with the IL2 series. To do so now insults me as a loyal customer, and makes me question my willingness to continue to support this series. Or BOB. Or any future titles that continue to depend on such tactics to "validate" my ownership or license.

Why can you not just issue a unique software key that is specific to me as a registered user, and is required to use or upgrade the software? If that is unreasonable, then why not use some other form of less-intrusive validation? If the answer is "cost", then what would you call the loss of revenue from the individuals who like myself may decide to skip this and future titles solely due to security and system stability concerns?

What is worse...the pirated copy made by someone who would not have purchased the game anyway, or the lost sales to many customers who would have previously purchased almost anything you publised? The prirates money was never yours anyway...but ours was. Which is more important to you?

tagTaken2
05-01-2006, 11:52 PM
I've paid for mine, but I can't get more than 20% to download before server errors. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Forget the question. Forget you Ubi.

whiteladder
05-02-2006, 02:19 AM
I try to look at these thing from a positive perspective, My question would be if Ubi could explain the benefit to me as a customer of this software then I will be happy.

I purchased the addon as soon as the link went live, downloaded Boonty on to a seperarte pc and then installed to my Game PC. I then spent the next 48 hours watching this place to see if Boonty was a problem or not.I have fired up the game twice,first time to check what services were running and second to check if I had followed the instructions correctly to remove it.

I have bought a number of Digital Downloads from other publishers(Matrix games for example) and have never had reason to complain in fact quite the opposite I prefer this method.The Ubi experience sort of took the shine off for me and I would have second thoughts about a online purchse from them again.

I`m not demanding this to be removed or any such just give me the information to make a reasoned decision for the future.

It would be nice if Ubi anwser Targ and we get some official statement. As it is I will not be rushing to get the next addon, I will wait and see what happens.

wintergoose
05-02-2006, 03:56 AM
Pleace Targ
When vill wi have an offfisial fix so my computer dont crashes annymore.
I dont want to use off smart fixes.

I wants to play the Pe campains. THAT IS WHAT I HAVE PAIED FOR. AND NOT GOT YET

delta_9_tetra
05-02-2006, 04:50 AM
Do I have to have windows NT/XP installed on my PC to get the download I have already payed for?

I made an order for a download product. After purchase I got a link to download software here: http://front.boonty.com/ubisoft/RedirectUbisoft.php?boo...IdGame=90&strLang=en (http://front.boonty.com/ubisoft/RedirectUbisoft.php?boontybox=0&valid=1&intIdGame=90&strLang=en)

I downloaded the file called "boontybox_Ubisoft_{1973}.exe" When I attempt to run this program I get an error message: "This program must be run on Windows NT"

My il2 PC is running under Windows 98 SE, the game software I am downloading will run under win98se. Do I really have to install windows XP on my PC to get this download I have already payed for?

If so I want a refund!

It is not made clear anywhere that Windows NT/XP was required for this download purchase!

Do you have another solution so I can get what I paid for?

cmw1980
05-02-2006, 05:15 AM
I'd like to know if boonty is responsible for the pe-2 campaigns crashing and if so, why was it ever made this way? You just can't take peoples money for something you know won't work. I also noticed on the ubi download page it stated that you NEED pacific fighters to run pe-2. This is not clear enough for a newcomer, it should state that you need aep and fb aswell, or the complete dvd edition. Also, if it wont work on windows 98, you should SAY SO! I feel sorry for any of ubi's customers who have been let down this way.

Lazy312
05-02-2006, 06:12 AM
I tried to install Pe-2 on my second computer - activation with my code failed.

Do I have to buy Pe-2 again everytime I change my computer or reinstall OS?

cmw1980
05-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Lazy312, does this link help?

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb....=144;t=004614#000000 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=004614#000000 )

It's a fiddley way to do it but seems to work fine.

Lazy312
05-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Thank you, surely it helps, but I think it should work without that fiddling. :-)

I don't know what Ubi's plans for releasing the next addon are but they apparently want to use Boonty in next versions too. If they had made that "copy protection" better I would had not been able to use my game on two different computers.

So the simple question is - BECAUSE OF BOONTY, DO I HAVE TO BUY A COPY OF FUTURE ADDONS FOR EVERY COMPUTER OR OS INSTALLATION I HAVE? Thanks for aswer.

Xiolablu3
05-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Iridium_Layer:
Here is my question(s):

More specifically, does Boontybox have any potential whatsoever to disable or in anyway impact my DVD drives functions or speed? ?

DEFINITELY NOT.

triad773
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Question: for those of us who are used to, and comfortable with the CD distro system, are there any assurances that we can re-install the PE-2 add ons on different computers later?

My machine barely handles the IL-2 series with perfect settings. If I upgrade my rig, do I have to shell out again, or can a backup copy be made to save the aggrevation next time I install?

I am skeptical; prove to me that my apprehension is groundless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif (please).

Thanks

Triad

Platypus_1.JaVA
05-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Check out the main website http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php

I've send UBI this Email:

Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

Dear people at UBI,

say, I've recently downloaded the Pe-2 add-on for Il-2 Pacific fighters. It came
with a 'programm' called Boonnty box. As far as I can tell, the program does
things that I don't want. I've uninstalled it after the Pe-2 was installed and
running. The developpers of the Pe-2 add-on did not know that UBI was adding the
Boonty box program to the add-on. This is said so by two diffrent people from
the development team. As far as I can tell, Boonty box does three things.

1. It checks for updates on UBI games
2. You can launch games with it
3. You can buy games with it.

Well, I must say that I perfectly managed those three tasks without the boonty
box prgram before. If I want an update for a game, I go to the appropriate
website. You can learn more neat stuff about your game by going to the website
for that. If I want to play a game, I click on the appropriate icon on my
desktop. Why need a program for that? And finally, when I want to buy a game, I
go to the shops or I visit an online store. What is the point in having a
program in between? It looks like UBI want to know my habits concerning
buying/playing/updating games. But Do I want UBI to know that?

In short: Boonty box is a program that you can use as an extra step in the
actions you perform when playing games. A rather unnecescery program because it
really doesn't add anything. You can perform actions with it wich you allready
did for years without that program. That's why I think you can stop using the
Boonty box program. I know that I am not alone. read the Il-2 GD forums
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=23110283 and pick one of the
gazillion threads about the Pe-2 add-on.

I think they've received more Emails like this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

EAF331_Hans
05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I have bought and installed 2 licenses on my present computers, Soon I will be upgrading my stationary computer, and my question is:
-How do I move PE-2 to a new computer?

Do I run the previousoy downloaded exe-file with the same license number?

WTE_Galway
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by EAF331_Hans:
I have bought and installed 2 licenses on my present computers, Soon I will be upgrading my stationary computer, and my question is:
-How do I move PE-2 to a new computer?

Do I run the previousoy downloaded exe-file with the same license number?

One of the many things not explained properly.

This tread may help

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2051050934

Hashmark13
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Iridium_Layer:
Here is my question(s):

More specifically, does Boontybox have any potential whatsoever to disable or in anyway impact my DVD drives functions or speed? I already have 2 DVD drive "paperweights" that Starforce crippled even though I have absolutely no hacked or pirated software in my possesion, and I will not risk using this software unless I have a concrete and specific assurance from the publisher (UBI) or the software developer (Boontybox) that they will cause no harm as a result of their software, and will accept liability if such harm does take place as a result of their code.

I already have successfully avoided any further purchases of Starforce infected product, and will do so again with Bootybox protected software if they cannot resonably assure me that I will not be replacing DVD drives again in a few weeks after installing with it.

For UBI:
I am an avid and longtime IL-2 fan. I awaited the original release and followed it's development with great anticipation. I bought it the day it came out, and have loved it ever since. Same with Forgotten Battles. And Aces Expansion. And Pacific Fighters.

This weekend I had my wallet out to purchase your PE2 addon. I was happy to do so. I do not mind supporting what has been the best game series I have ever played. Then I read about the issues with Boontybox...and I am no longer sure I want to continue my support of the series.

Never before have you (to my knoweledge) resorted to such intrusive software copy protection with the IL2 series. To do so now insults me as a loyal customer, and makes me question my willingness to continue to support this series. Or BOB. Or any future titles that continue to depend on such tactics to "validate" my ownership or license.

Why can you not just issue a unique software key that is specific to me as a registered user, and is required to use or upgrade the software? If that is unreasonable, then why not use some other form of less-intrusive validation? If the answer is "cost", then what would you call the loss of revenue from the individuals who like myself may decide to skip this and future titles solely due to security and system stability concerns?

What is worse...the pirated copy made by someone who would not have purchased the game anyway, or the lost sales to many customers who would have previously purchased almost anything you publised? The prirates money was never yours anyway...but ours was. Which is more important to you?

Boonty is in no way similar to Starforce. It isn't protection. It's a download client that collects your computer usage habbits (spies...). That's all.

Read the thread in community help area for removal of boonty after installation of addon.