PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Joystick issues

Stoli-25ID
07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
* Microsoft Precision Sidewinder 2 USB*
I did the calibartion via-control panel applet. Im flying the Jap. Zero (Carrier take-off mission). The plane drifts to the left and gains altitude. I have to apply constant right side and forward pressure to fly level. Can I correct this with trim settings in the game or is my Joystick the problem. If I can correct it with trim, will this need to be done every restart?

TY Mucho

Stoli-25ID
07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I did the calibartion via-control panel applet. Im flying the Jap. Zero (Carrier take-off mission). The plane drifts to the left and gains altitude. I have to apply constant right side and forward pressure to fly level. Can I correct this with trim settings in the game or is my Joystick the problem. If I can correct it with trim, will this need to be done every restart?

TY Mucho

VF-29_Sandman
07-23-2005, 04:32 PM
adding proper trim will help. and if u got track ir, u could program the hat switch to set trim with macro's. trim changes based on speed and power settings. is much differnt than it used to be

VW-IceFire
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stoli-25ID:

TY Mucho </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Precision 2 is a digital optical joystick. Calibration is not required. This was one of the huge benefits of the Precision and Precision 2 (and the Force Feedbacks) from Microsoft as I think they were the first or amongst the first that did not require constant recalibration.

So probably you just need some trim on the rudder and elevator to make that Zero fly level. Constant trim is required as speed and throttle changes throw this off.

Tully__
07-24-2005, 07:13 AM
If you're concerned, check the joystick's responses in Windows Game Controllers (found in Control Panel). If it shows as being properly centered there, what you're seeing is the correct flight model of the aircraft and you'll need to use trim or control input to compensate for it.

han freak solo
07-24-2005, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stoli-25ID:

TY Mucho </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the same stick you do. The only time I had to check calibration regularly was when it was plugged into an older computer with Windows 98. This was after unplugging it and plugging it back in.

The same stick on my newer rig with Windows XP doesn't need this calibration. But you can check it just like Tully mentioned.

You will have to retrim you choice of aircraft each time you start a new flight. But, not all aircraft have trim on all axes. So, you will be flying with pressure on the stick on what you can' trim out.