PDA

View Full Version : The Coma is Confusiiiiiiiiiiing

Medo3G
08-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, one of the main basis of Revelations is the fact that Desmond is in a coma which leads him into the black room where he has to find "pieces" of his memories and stuff.However,when I played Assassin's Creed 1 today (I'm replaying the series to recap the event before Revelations) Vidic told Desmond that they would induce a coma if he doesn't enter the animus.So I think that this means that when Desmond is in a coma they can control the memories.But in the PAX panel they said that it's up to Desmond to access the the memories.
I'm sorry because I probably confused you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JJTHoukes
08-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Vidic was probably bluffing, trying to intimidate Desmond into co-operating.

POP1Fan
08-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by medo3g:
Well, one of the main basis of Revelations is the fact that Desmond is in a coma which leads him into the black room where he has to find "pieces" of his memories and stuff.However,when I played Assassin's Creed 1 today (I'm replaying the series to recap the event before Revelations) Vidic told Desmond that they would induce a coma if he doesn't enter the animus.So I think that this means that when Desmond is in a coma they can control the memories.But in the PAX panel they said that it's up to Desmond to access the the memories.
I'm sorry because I probably confused you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I think he has to acces the memories by doing the puzzles because there is no one operating the Animus froum the outside,making him able to acces every memory he wants/need...

Medo3G
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by POP1Fan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medo3g:
I think he has to acces the memories by doing the puzzles because there is no one operating the Animus froum the outside,making him able to acces every memory he wants/need... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you mean that they CAN direct him to a memory , however they're leaving him to f*** himself in that weird world ?

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by medo3g:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by POP1Fan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medo3g:
I think he has to acces the memories by doing the puzzles because there is no one operating the Animus froum the outside,making him able to acces every memory he wants/need... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you mean that they CAN direct him to a memory , however they're leaving him to f*** himself in that weird world ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Long story short, inducing a coma and extracting memories from him will mess up his mind even worse than it is already. If abstergo had done it, he wouldn't have even been the same person after they were through. The Assassins are leaving him to his own devices because it's the only way to keep his mind from getting any worse.

There is no contradiction. Of course they could use the animus to direct him. But it wouldn't be good for Desmond, and they wouldn't even KNOW what they're looking for.

Crouching.Tiger
08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't know, but I think Desmond is more in a catatonic state, as this can be the result of post-traumatic stress disorder, which he conceivably could've experienced after the events in the end of Brotherhood (remember, the voices in the credits said he had gone into shock, the coma explanations came afterwards, but let's not split hairs). This would mean he is awake but in a state where he can't communicate and doesn't react to external stimuli. It's possible he could think clearly (this would be something akin to locked-in syndrome).

Vidic was probably talking about drugging him to sleep, which wouldn't work as the victim would've had to be awake to function the animus.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Crouching.Tiger:
I don't know, but I think Desmond is more in a catatonic state, as this can be the result of post-traumatic stress disorder, which he conceivably could've experienced after the events in the end of Brotherhood (remember, the voices in the credits said he had gone into shock, the coma explanations came afterwards, but let's not split hairs). This would mean he is awake but in a state where he can't communicate and doesn't react to external stimuli. It's possible he could think clearly (this would be something akin to locked-in syndrome).

Vidic was probably talking about drugging him to sleep, which wouldn't work as the victim would've had to be awake to function the animus.
I'm pretty sure Vdic just meant that they'd extract the memories from him forcefully and leave him a vegtable. And as he said, it would take them more time to do so than if he was actually functioning.

Remember, during the Da Vinci Dissapearance DLC, they showed the exact part where he goes into a full coma. After he does the last mission, he blacks out, and presumably that's exactly where ACR is going to start. With him falling through the white room to the black room.

So the coma explanation was kinda evidenced in the game. The voices even say that he's going into a coma.

I can understand how this whole thing is confusing, but nothing in AC is simple.

LightRey
08-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crouching.Tiger:

I'm pretty sure Vdic just meant that they'd extract the memories from him forcefully and leave him a vegtable. And as he said, it would take them more time to do so than if he was actually functioning.

Remember, during the Da Vinci Dissapearance DLC, they showed the exact part where he goes into a full coma. After he does the last mission, he blacks out, and presumably that's exactly where ACR is going to start. With him falling through the white room to the black room.

So the coma explanation was kinda evidenced in the game. The voices even say that he's going into a coma.

I can understand how this whole thing is confusing, but nothing in AC is simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I love how we're calling them "the voices" now xD
I absolutely agree with you btw. Besides, this whole thing of Desmond being inside the animus in a coma is more to stabilize him than to extract any memories. There's no reason to assume this is the same method Vidic would (or, considering S16's possible involvement in ACR, could) use.