PDA

View Full Version : What I do daily with IL2

M2morris
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Here is normally what I do when I fly this sim.
I can't fly on-line anymore,so I usually just go to Full Mission Builder and throw some enemy planes out there and just go at it.

Alot of my missions are ground attack but,I am always alone, and totally out-numbered.
Also; I don't have trac IR, and looking around is a pain when I am so out numbered, so I use the little map with the little airplanes.

Here is an un-edited fraps clip of a dogfight I did today. Not a track recording.

Hope you like.
(choose the view in high quality option)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwpsXcQSRek
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

general_kalle
09-16-2008, 02:22 AM
nice video. Why Cant you fly online?
your a good shot but there's a few things

1. you should be careful about flying around with the engine overheating some planes' engines will go broke in no time when overheating

2. using the zoom fov on the delete will make an accurate long distance shot as you like to do

3. try setting their skill level on veteran and then put in only 2 enemys to begin with. thats gonna be challenge but i think you are ready for it.

now when you beat 7 zeros on veteran i'll clap my small hands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif
try it.

also to increase the challenge grap a corsair what has 50 cal's

WTE_Ibis
09-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Some nice shooting there, unlimited ammo though.
Can I ask your computer specs.
I have a core2duo and a 8800gt and if I try to record sound and pic fraps stutters like crazy, I can't figure why?
Thanks,
Ibis

SeaFireLIV
09-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Well nice flying and I see you have no icons which is a good plus point.

You really ought to learn to try limited ammo shooting. Once you learn to conserve ammo and get close it`s far more enjoyable when you get that kill - and you begin to feel a little bt like the real pilots. At the moment, you may as well be in an F16 firing sidewinders.
I would also suggest trying to fly without the map icons and fewer enemy aircraft. The Mouse or hatswitch is definitely passable to help with your viewing around. Take a wingman with you as well.

Finally, since you don`t fly online, I wouls seriously suggest flying in a committed campaign. Sure, you can set what you want in FMB, but isn`t that boring? Knowing exactly what you`re going to face every time? No real conclusion or point to your mission? If you do, sitch `No Instant Mission Success` to Off.

Anyway, it`s your game, fly it how you want. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dirkpit7
09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Finally, since you don`t fly online, I wouls seriously suggest flying in a committed campaign. Sure, you can set what you want in FMB, but isn`t that boring? Knowing exactly what you`re going to face every time? No real conclusion or point to your mission? If you do, sitch `No Instant Mission Success` to Off.

+1

And not having TrackIR is no excuse to use map icons...in my opinion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stingray333
09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
If you mainly fly offline maybe get some of the excellent user-created missions and campaigns from www.mission4today.com, (http://www.mission4today.com,)

the two minutes two action series of missions comes with over 60 missions and is a lot of fun, and quite challenging. There are many other missions/campaigns that are excellent on that site as well,

Stingray

M2morris
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I wasnt using unlimited ammo, I have never used that. I just use short bursts. I am always running out of ammo. And I also had those zeroes set as aces, not veterans.
Thanks for the little claps.
Oh and I can't fly online because it is too addicting and it would most likley result in a devorce. Heck, off-line almost does.

SeaFireLIV
09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
I wasnt using unlimited ammo, I have never used that. I just use short bursts. I am always running out of ammo. And I also had those zeroes set as aces, not veterans.
Thanks for the little claps.
Oh and I can't fly online because it is too addicting and it would most likley result in a devorce. Heck, off-line almost does.

Well done. You must have a long convergence and you were very accurate!

I understand. The internet is uncontrollable once it grips you on gaming. Offline gaming gives you control back.

M2morris
09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with all of the critiques here so far except for unlimited ammo and the enemy skill level remarks.
I will start using fifties.
Those 20MM cannons are a crutch alright. And I will go full-real again like I was doing at one point and start a campaign.(no mapicons to cheat with.)
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

BashChelik
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Morris,

Not having TrackIR is a no issue with free software now available. You don't even need to buy an IR LED, just savage an old remote, put in a potentiometer instead of a fixed resistor and use an old cellphone recharger for power. I made myself a similar headtracker for testing purposes quite a while ago and still use it because it works just fine. Or, you could go with an IR webcam and a piece of IR reflecting tape on your basebal cap...

As for flying offline, alittle selfcontrol could go a long way in improving your simming experience, since youre already spending time with the sim. AI simply will not make you learn and adapt to the degree a human oponent will. Find a time of day when your spouse doesn't need your immediate attention, hook to a server and record your flight. When a mission is complete, or you get shot down, call it quits for the day, review the track and disect your and the other guys tactics. It should all fit within an hour. Or, you can try to hook your missis on flightsims, get her a rig and make a wingman out of her http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blairgowrie
09-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the Forum Bash Chelik. Afraid I had to edit your post because of some legal issues that may have arisen between the company you mentioned and Natural Point.

M2morris
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BashChelik:
Morris,

Not having TrackIR is a no issue with free software now available. You don't even need to buy an IR LED, just savage an old remote, put in a potentiometer instead of a fixed resistor and use an old cellphone recharger for power. I made myself a similar headtracker for testing purposes quite a while ago and still use it because it works just fine. Or, you could go with an IR webcam and a piece of IR reflecting tape on your basebal cap...

As for flying offline, alittle selfcontrol could go a long way in improving your simming experience, since youre already spending time with the sim. AI simply will not make you learn and adapt to the degree a human oponent will. Find a time of day when your spouse doesn't need your immediate attention, hook to a server and record your flight. When a mission is complete, or you get shot down, call it quits for the day, review the track and disect your and the other guys tactics. It should all fit within an hour. Or, you can try to hook your missis on flightsims, get her a rig and make a wingman out of her http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cool, I'm gonna have to look into that software. But I have spent countless hours flying online back when Janes WW2 fighters was the big thing, and I was still single. So, yes I found human oponents to be waaaay different from any AI can ever be. I was in a squad that flew as real as possible.

rnzoli
09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
alittle selfcontrol could go a long way in improving your simming experience,
Ah, the flash of the obvious. Could. COULD. C O U L D. Note the damned word. It doesn't read "CAN". It doesn't read "WILL". It read COULD. Only COULD. But it never does.

Find a time of day when your spouse doesn't need your immediate attention,
What? Like, when she flirting with the neighbour?

When a mission is complete, or you get shot down, call it quits for the day, review the track and disect your and the other guys tactics. It should all fit within an hour. Sure, and don't forget to blink, make some facial expressions, otherwise it becomes obvious that you are not a human, but a emotionless robot, who stole Morris'es body.

Or, you can try to hook your missis on flightsims, get her a rig and make a wingman out of her http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Jesus Christ, let me ask, have you ever met a real woman? You know, a beautiful one, who likes to dress nice, loves shopping, enjoys going with you to the theatre or just picnic out in the nature etc?
Now, that kind of women would give you a huge right hook into your nose, rip your balls off, and make a coat out of your skin, if you ever try to mention IL-2 and her in the same sentence...

Just saying... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BashChelik
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Blairgowrie,

I didn't know that the legal issues you metioned have come up, but I guess that doesn't really come as a surprise. No problems regarding the edit of my post, the important bit is still there.

Morris,

Glad to help, but it would be wise to consider Rnzoli's post also, lots of wisdom in it...

Rnzoli,

I do agree with all of the points you made. However, a few things should be set straight.

Originally posted by rnzoli:

Ah, the flash of the obvious. Could. COULD. C O U L D. Note the damned word. It doesn't read "CAN". It doesn't read "WILL". It read COULD. Only COULD. But it never does.

Well, allright, not everyone can achieve selfdiscipline, even the ones who do don't all the time, but let us ask ourselves at this point if turning away from the things that make us happy will really make us better in any way? Or will it make us bitter, frustrated and prone to hating the people who apear to be happy and relaxed? Achieving selfdiscipline, on the other hand, is not easy, takes time, energy and great effort, but it can lead to a fulfilled life.

What? Like, when she flirting with the neighbour?

Wow, buddy, why this kind of thoughts? A woman can have a highschool friend and go have a cup of coffee with that friend, she may like to read, go to aerobics classes, practice digital art, yoga, martial arts, any number of totaly normal activities that humans, regardles of sex, give into in their spare time. For us here its IL-2... believe it or not there are quite a few goodlooking female simmers.

Jesus Christ, let me ask, have you ever met a real woman? You know, a beautiful one, who likes to dress nice, loves shopping, enjoys going with you to the theatre or just picnic out in the nature etc?
Now, that kind of women would give you a huge right hook into your nose, rip your balls off, and make a coat out of your skin, if you ever try to mention IL-2 and her in the same sentence...

A real woman as in a woman who can competently talk only about make- up and ex boyfriend who had a well paid job but insisted on anal sex, generally holds a grudge against all males because she is afraid they will not hold her in high regard if she doesn't torture herself with all the beauty enhancing rituals, desperately hopes that her mother will aprove of her new boyfriend, plants a listening device in her boyfriends apartment during the first two weeks of a relationship, is quite jealous but doesn't tolerate jealousy, threatens to invite male coleagues over to her apartment if the boyfriend refuses to comply with her commands, is lousy in bed because she thinks its enough to look good (well, a Persian rug can also lie flat and look good, and costs less) and so on. Yeah, I've met a few, and have found out that yanking my stick (interpret this any way you like) is a far better choice. You and I, my friend, have totally different views of what a real woman is.

WTE_Galway
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Just get the wife/girlfirend involved in the game, suggestions include:

- have her hit you with a bat whenever you groundloop or nose over on landing
- get her to blow a fan in your face when flying the I16
- have her tip water over you when you fly in the rain in the I16
- get her to set fire to your clothes and blow smoke in your face when you catch fire in game

unreasonable
09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Just get the wife/girlfirend involved in the game, suggestions include:

- have her hit you with a bat whenever you groundloop or nose over on landing
- get her to blow a fan in your face when flying the I16
- have her tip water over you when you fly in the rain in the I16
- get her to set fire to your clothes and blow smoke in your face when you catch fire in game

Set her up a mission in an winter camo I16 on the Slovakia map so that she can go sightseeing - they all think the rata looks cute because it is like a cartoon plane or a baby.

LEXX_Luthor
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Stuff/SleepyKitten--2.jpg

M2morris
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
What the hell makes you people think I was using unlimited ammo?

Screw this.

Afterhours
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
track IR is a waste of time and money. All you need is a hat switch that is intelligently set up. See my I-16 vs 109f4 track in the "most difficult" thread for some expert hat-switching.

WTE_Galway
09-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Afterhours:
track IR is a waste of time and money. All you need is a hat switch that is intelligently set up. See my I-16 vs 109f4 track in the "most difficult" thread for some expert hat-switching.

I will never fly without trackIr anymore. The hatswitch makes it too obvious its a game, no immersion.

M2morris
09-23-2008, 01:52 AM
I had forgotten how cool full-real was.
I am doing an F4U1D campagne.
It is very-cool. .50s
No-more sissy map with the little planes.
Navigation by terrain association, and checking my instruments.
I'm swivvel neckin.
I need to get trck IR though dammit.

But I still call total Beeulsheeeiit on that un limited ammo thing. I have-never done that.