PDA

View Full Version : A possible solution?

CHDT
12-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi all

There would be a relatively simple solution to circumvent the possible problem which currently worries us all.

Maddox would so produce a simulation with historical maps, but with fantasy planes which would however profit from perfectly coherent FM's corresponding to precise planes.

This way, the Maddox Spitermitt would have the FM of the real Spit, in spite of being a perfectly imaginary plane, while the Messerfire would fly like a real 109, but without looking like a real Messerschmitt.

And here comes the trick: third-party developers would then develop perfectly correct 3d aircrafts and cockpits, which would simply replace the official fake ones, by the way of no-cost patches, which could be for instance downloaded by peer to peer methods.

With this solution, Maddox games (and other developers too) would be totally free of the legal threats (hey, the Spitermitt is not a real plane) and the sim players will be again able to play with historical planeset.

By the way, on the financial point of view, Maddox games won€t lose so a single dollar and the third parties could even gain some money by the way of donations for their work (for instance, I would gladly give 5 dollars to the developer of the Tempest ; it€s not that much, but if 500 players would make the same thing, it would be fast becoming interesting !)

Cheers,

Chuck_Older
12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Sim crowd likes historical accuracy. Facts, dates, the real thing.

Some gamers like sims, too, but they are less concerned with realism.

Look no further than these forums for the proof.

That said, we are not lawyers, and we don't even know the exact nature of the problems with using the planes

FatBoyHK
12-17-2004, 07:59 AM
how about having an open-source IL2?

CHDT
12-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Not an open source: just look at the SF mess.

Just a sim with historical maps, accurate FM's and the possibility to erase fantasy official planes by accurate third-party ones through patches.

For instance, fantasy plane number 1 with Me-109 real FM's will get by third-party patching the 3d model and cockpit of an accurate 109, but still keeping its correct FM for a 109.

AFJ_Locust
12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
What the heck is going on ???

Holycannoli
12-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Umm, what's going on and where are all these weird rumors and stories coming from? There's nothing on the main page about this at all.

I'm totally confused here.

LEXX_Luthor
12-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Just read my posts, and you understand all.

Well, not really, but read Bearcat99 and you learn the most about FB/PF that way.