PDA

View Full Version : Looking around without holding any mouse buttons

abstractor
11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
From 3D games I'm used to look around with the mouse and move by pressing keys. In URU you have to hold down the right mouse button to look around (in 1st person view) which hurts after a while.

Here is my simple trick to get into a mode where you can look around with the mouse without holding any mouse button and use keys for moving (3 steps):

1) go to windows (XP):
start->control panel->mouse
turn ClickLock: ON (you can adjust the lock-time in 'settings')

2) redefine keys: (my personal preference of keys, on the left side of the keyboard, mouse is on the right side (right-handed ;-)):
forward:W
backward:S
strife left:A
strife righthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3) ok, let's get movin' now, go to an URU age:

* hold the left mouse-button until it "locks" * release the left mouse-button (as a result you are walking without holding the left MB)
* and press 'W' [forward] (as a result you stop (!) walking).

You are standing now, doing nothing (no keys pressed, no button held or clicked).

**NOW**, you are in the mode to:
a) look around with the mouse (without holding any mouse button)
b) move by pressing W/A/S/D (or arrow keys)
c) IF you need the mouse cursor to activate/deactivate something: click left mouse button. You get a cursor, active/deactive whatever you need.

To get back into above mode, go to step 3.
(once you are used to it, it only takes a fraction of a second to get into the mode)

If you do not press "W" [forward-key] after having "locked" your left mouse button, you can actually run around without pressing anything. I found that useful in doing laps around the cleft ;-)
Use caps-lock to "run" and "steer" with the mouse! ;-)

Unfortunately you cannot move forward AND strive at the same time (this would make it easier to move into doors but keep looking at the whole house - anyway)

Remark: sometimes it goes from the 360 lookaround into a 90 degrees only mode. This happens rarely, but if it happens, redo step 3.

---------------------------------------------
To the user-interface design experts at CYAN:

PLEASE allow to configure a key/mouse button to TOGGLE between:
a) pointer mode (you move the pointer on the screen with the mouse)
b) look-around mode (you look-around by moving the mouse (no buttons!))

AND add a button in the configuration that allows to turn this new toggle mode on/off (this way you can still keep your "CYAN" mode around :-)

abstractor
11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
From 3D games I'm used to look around with the mouse and move by pressing keys. In URU you have to hold down the right mouse button to look around (in 1st person view) which hurts after a while.

Here is my simple trick to get into a mode where you can look around with the mouse without holding any mouse button and use keys for moving (3 steps):

1) go to windows (XP):
start->control panel->mouse
turn ClickLock: ON (you can adjust the lock-time in 'settings')

2) redefine keys: (my personal preference of keys, on the left side of the keyboard, mouse is on the right side (right-handed ;-)):
forward:W
backward:S
strife left:A
strife righthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3) ok, let's get movin' now, go to an URU age:

* hold the left mouse-button until it "locks" * release the left mouse-button (as a result you are walking without holding the left MB)
* and press 'W' [forward] (as a result you stop (!) walking).

You are standing now, doing nothing (no keys pressed, no button held or clicked).

**NOW**, you are in the mode to:
a) look around with the mouse (without holding any mouse button)
b) move by pressing W/A/S/D (or arrow keys)
c) IF you need the mouse cursor to activate/deactivate something: click left mouse button. You get a cursor, active/deactive whatever you need.

To get back into above mode, go to step 3.
(once you are used to it, it only takes a fraction of a second to get into the mode)

If you do not press "W" [forward-key] after having "locked" your left mouse button, you can actually run around without pressing anything. I found that useful in doing laps around the cleft ;-)
Use caps-lock to "run" and "steer" with the mouse! ;-)

Unfortunately you cannot move forward AND strive at the same time (this would make it easier to move into doors but keep looking at the whole house - anyway)

Remark: sometimes it goes from the 360 lookaround into a 90 degrees only mode. This happens rarely, but if it happens, redo step 3.

To the user-interface design experts at CYAN:

PLEASE allow to configure a key/mouse button to TOGGLE between:
a) pointer mode (you move the pointer on the screen with the mouse)
b) look-around mode (you look-around by moving the mouse (no buttons!))

AND add a button in the configuration that allows to turn this new toggle mode on/off (this way you can still keep your "CYAN" mode around :-)

Kwartha
11-21-2003, 10:40 PM
You should have e-mailed this to the Cyan build team as a suggested improvement. I agree that the controls need to be more configurable, at the very least with a perma-mouselook toggle. I just don't know if you suggestions are going to reach the right people simply by posting them here.

abstractor
11-21-2003, 10:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kawartha:
I just don't know if you suggestions are going to reach the right people simply by posting them here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the last part is a suggestion. The first part shows how-to look around without mouse buttons! (it works, you can do it as it is now, but it's not as good as it could be, thus the suggestion at the end).

sobeone82
11-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, considering there are 3 different forums, it is tough to know who is paying attention where.

maztec
11-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Well, these are the official forums, heh.

nice post abstractor http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sobeone82
11-21-2003, 10:52 PM
is this the "official" forum? I wonder which one Cyan reads the most.

This is the Publisher's forum.
Then there is the forum @Cyanworlds.com (http://cho.cyan.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000242)
And of course the other at the DRC (though it tends to be more roleplaying and story discussion)