PDA

View Full Version : European Flight Sim Show - Any reports?

WhiskeyBravo
06-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Anyone got any news yet?

Any vids especially!

WB.

WhiskeyBravo
06-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Anyone got any news yet?

Any vids especially!

WB.

rpkiller
06-20-2004, 02:45 AM
Bump. Couldn't make it so hopefully someone can fill me in. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yellonet
06-20-2004, 05:34 AM
We want screenies!!!

- Yellonet

Dogsbodyx
06-20-2004, 06:18 AM
I was there. What do you want to know?

Had a go on Pacific Fighters.They had it set up so that you could try landing a Seafire on a carrier and later there was dogfighting in a seaplane (could not make out the type, I'm a bit vague on Japanese WW2 aircraft but it looked like a zero with a large float under the centre & 2 small wing-tip floats perhaps a Kyuosho(sp?))against 2 P40's.

The carrier ops were very reminiscent of CFS2 (only better), the image quality was at least as good as FB and there was no stutter or micropausing visible, even when guns were being fired. The carrier was moving but as the sea was calm, no pitching or yaw evident.

All in all it looks to be very promising & very advanced (at least for single missions).

The venue was terribly cramped, most vendors were in spaces little more than kiosk size but the show was very good and seemed well attended.

Nic Cole was also there testing the water for new ventures. Apparently a LOMAC style manual is being planned for Pacific Fighters (and others). One to get I think. Saitek were displaying their new stick with a little MFD on the throttle base. All in all a pleasant day out.

heywooood
06-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Dogsbodyx - was there any evidence or talk of an LSO on the carrier deck to assist landing?

what about the interface - did it look and feel like FB?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/3tbm_avenger.jpg
Goin'fishin'

BenKonovalov
06-20-2004, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogsbodyx:
I was there. What do you want to know?

Had a go on Pacific Fighters.They had it set up so that you could try landing a Seafire on a carrier and later there was dogfighting in a seaplane (could not make out the type, I'm a bit vague on Japanese WW2 aircraft but it looked like a zero with a large float under the centre & 2 small wing-tip floats perhaps a Kyuosho(sp?))against 2 P40's.

The carrier ops were very reminiscent of CFS2 (only better), the image quality was at least as good as FB and there was no stutter or micropausing visible, even when guns were being fired. The carrier was moving but as the sea was calm, no pitching or yaw evident.

All in all it looks to be very promising & very advanced (at least for single missions).

The venue was terribly cramped, most vendors were in spaces little more than kiosk size but the show was very good and seemed well attended.

Nic Cole was also there testing the water for new ventures. Apparently a LOMAC style manual is being planned for Pacific Fighters (and others). One to get I think. Saitek were displaying their new stick with a little MFD on the throttle base. All in all a pleasant day out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know what the system specs were that ran PF at the ubi PF display?

I3ollox
06-20-2004, 09:36 AM
If i can remember rightly...

they used a Pentium 4 3400, 1 gig ram, Geforce 3 mobo, and possibly a nvid5900 but can't be sure...

i asked about there being an LSO but the answer was no...

i had 3 attempts at landing with the hellcat (i'm a semi-noob btw), overshot 2 times and was lucky to fly around, on third attempt i managed to hit the wire but i bounced (quite high!) and landed in a heap....

saw the floatplane in action (think it was the one in the dev update) looks very good, got all the sea motion effects in it, i was very impressed!!

I3ollox
06-20-2004, 10:08 AM
If i can remember rightly...

they used a Pentium 4 3400, 1 gig ram, Geforce 3 mobo, and possibly a nvid5900 but can't be sure...

i asked about there being an LSO but the answer was no...

The interface is just the same at the mo, the only difference being background screenies

i had 3 attempts at landing with the hellcat (i'm a semi-noob btw), overshot 2 times and was lucky to fly around, on third attempt i managed to hit the wire but i bounced (quite high!) and landed in a heap....

saw the floatplane in action (think it was the one in the dev update) looks very good, got all the sea motion effects in it, i was very impressed!!

I3ollox
06-20-2004, 10:24 AM
oops sorry about the double post...

heywooood
06-20-2004, 10:52 AM
What about flak... was there any representation of heavy flak and if so, was there much if any frame rates impact?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/3tbm_avenger.jpg
Goin'fishin'

kfurni
06-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

I was at the show on Saturday and from what I saw of PF its going to be awesome just the movement of the sea and the general level on detail is impresive. Ran a mission flying a Hellcat defending against a Japenese attack, came head on with a Zero and got my screen shattered not just a bullet hole but shattered.

The B29 look impressive, I saw Oleg smoked a few in a Ki84.

I must admit that the venue was not brilliant the Ubisoft stand was about 2.5m x 6m (approx 6ft x 4ft) very small and that goes for most of the stands and not very much room to move around, at Birmingham it seemed a larger venue and more room to move around. I just hope it come back to Birmingham soon.

All in all it was an interesting show, I'm looking forward to BOB, that is going to be some sim, Oleg did say that physics will be included in ground objects with moving suspention over bumpy terrain ect.

I did see some Simped rudders at the show and I must say they are very well built so I have those on my list of thing to get, expensive this flight sim stuff!

cheers Kfurni

AWL_Spinner
06-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah, enjoyed it. As above the venue was pretty poor but it was good to see Oleg and have a go at carrier landings (I stuffed up in the Corsair but managed a little better in the Seafire). Some of the Battle of Britain shots were stunning (London Buses, brilliant!) and it was really good to hear Oleg talk about his future plans.

All the below is cross posted on the IL2 General Chat forum.

Cheers, Spinner

-------

I was there on the Saturday and it was really good to see Oleg showing off some of the new stuff.

Anyone else enjoy the wide variety of authentic London Buses in Battle of Britain?

Had a go on PF, didn't manage to snag the hook once in a Seafire but at least I made the deck (although had to go around immediately afterwards). Oleg seemed amused by my attempts.

The demo track showing off the Japanese seaplane and the new perfect water was stunning although you could really see the machine struggling to keep up (and it was pretty high spec).

Great to hear Oleg has at least a seven year plan ahead for the Battle of Britain line. Battles for France and Poland were mentioned as being perhaps the first which is terrific news for us carp plane early war whiners. I think he said that he intends to end up in the Pacific again with that one, so something for the Americans to look forward to as well.

-------

Oh, in addition regarding the opening cockpits in Pacific Fighters - Oleg was asked whether you could "lean" out of the cockpit to peer around the cowling. Apparently no, that's not in there yet - the canopy thing is more of a bonus item on the current engine and it would require too much rework to be able to lean in that way. It's a possible though depending on time. The open canopy is catered for in the flight models.

Also apparently Oleg managed to accidentally fold the wings on one of the aircraft whilst at 10,000ft. Not sure whether that'll be in the final release

I also asked the UBI chaps about the patch(s) - no word yet on the 2.02, not really sure what the issues were there or what it is that they're correcting. No word either on the next flyables addon, nor indeed on what the cross-compatibility situation will be.

Apparently there will be several releases of Pacific Fighters - it's UBI's request that the planeset be PF specific in the standalone but there will be a combined pack with FB:AEP I think.

Certainly the demo version at Blackpool had the entire aircraft library still present.

Pacific Fighters will not be carrying the IL2 brand name.

If I remember anything else I'll post later.

Cheers to ex-forum regular Cartrix for the interesting chat, btw.

http://www.alliedwingedlegion.com/members/signatures/spinner_sig.jpg