PDA

View Full Version : Qn Regarding Windows Firewall

IZT
02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
OK i use a router, a netgear one. Now i do not install any software firewalls but my router of course has a build in double firewall NAT and something. Can anyone let me know if it is safe to diesable my windows fire wall? and does it even help at all?

IZT
02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
OK i use a router, a netgear one. Now i do not install any software firewalls but my router of course has a build in double firewall NAT and something. Can anyone let me know if it is safe to diesable my windows fire wall? and does it even help at all?

Propwash
02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
You should have got the one without the "and something".

steve_v
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
You need a software firewall. There are several free versions. If you use one of those, disable the windows firewall.

LuckyBoy1
02-14-2005, 07:51 PM
See Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users to explain how to protect your computer.

|Exciter|
02-15-2005, 09:07 AM
I use the Linksys router with the built-in firewall with http://www.zonealarm.com/ , and i disable windows firewall as it will conflict with each other. I have heard some negative things about the windows firewall anyways.

zjulik
02-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Difference between router firewalls and software ones: Software ones are generally easier to configure, and most important, they can be connected to running programs. Example: In order to get online with IL2, you may need to open port 21000 in your router/router firewall. Thus this port will be open constantly. Traffic passing this port reaches your PC, but there your software firewall knows that only traffic related to IL2 is allowed to pass.

Note that there is a big advantage of installing a third-party firewall instead of XP`s built-in. The XP firewall *only* blocks incoming traffic. Third party walls block both incoming and outgoing traffic. Blocking of outgoing traffic is important, both in the sense of stopping nasties from spreading (should you be so unlucky to get them) and also alerting you of any suspicious processes related to installed software and worse things.

A good tip if you want a free thirdparty firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall which is free and can be downloaded from http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm .