PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood haters. Is Revelations worth buying ? Be sincere

yly3
11-16-2011, 06:45 AM
AC Fan. Bought AC1 and AC2. Brotherhood was decent but not enough good for my money. I am on the fence of buying Revelations on PC and I want to pre-order it on PC on Steam.

Please, be sincere. I am 70% towards buying. I know I cannot be blown away like I was with AC1, but it seems Revelations is (finally) a decent upgrade to AC1 and my money will be "invested" in
AC3.

Please don't give me a morale about pirating and buying, like I said I am a strong fan.

Obviously no spoilers but for those who finished it is Revelations, before all, an experience rather than a game ?

Lass4r
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
The beginning is slow, but later in the game it really picks up.

High points:

Better characters, even the minor ones have a personality.
Better cutscenes, each one is scored individually.
Going on missions with your recruits is awesome, teaching them as their mentor is cool.
Soundtrack is very good.
Altair missions are very good IMO, though you could say they are short.

Low points:
Den defence to an extent.
Slow and weird beginning as I said.

All in all I'm pleased with the game, I just got finished with Sequence 6, and the ending was so much adrenaline! (well, we've seen that sequence before, but it wasn't exactly the same, and the music again makes the game awesome. Can't wait to play the last sequences =)

xCr0wnedNorris
11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
I like it so far. Granted I'm not a Brotherhood hater. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

deadly_thought
11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
very much worth buying i didnt hate brotherhood though i loved every one of these games starts slow and awkward but then you settle in and it works well same problem with glitches though havnt sampled the multiplayer yet 8/10 for sure

kriegerdesgottes
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
It's worth it. It is def better than Brotherhood.

luckyto
11-16-2011, 10:44 AM
It's definitely better than Brotherhood. I haven't finished, but I will tell you why I say that. Constantinople is a better-designed map than Rome in several ways, and the graphics engine is much much better and perhaps the best. So far the villains and the story elements seem better also, but judgement remains out.

It's no AC1. It's no AC2. Mainly because we've got some gimmicky elements (den defense) going on and less maps. Still, seems like I'm going to be able to avoid the things I don't like.

So I say yes. Constantinople is worth visiting.

Chronomancy
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
It's quite average to be honest.

I find the multiplayer to be a bore.

I got sick of Ezio a while ago, but that's just me.

I expected better this time round.

D173120T
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Firstly,is visually and audiably stunning.Played with surround sound really shows it well.The bomb making looks interesting(i am about to learn the art of bomb making)The guards/Templars are MUCH more aware,and you can get swamped by them if you dont run away or kill them all.The game mechanics are very similar.I like the hook blade as well.All in all its a game that has had a few tweaks to game play,big changes to the graphics.I would certainly advise you to get it.

vorenus73
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by yly3:
AC Fan. Bought AC1 and AC2. Brotherhood was decent but not enough good for my money. I am on the fence of buying Revelations on PC and I want to pre-order it on PC on Steam.

Please, be sincere. I am 70% towards buying. I know I cannot be blown away like I was with AC1, but it seems Revelations is (finally) a decent upgrade to AC1 and my money will be "invested" in
AC3.

Please don't give me a morale about pirating and buying, like I said I am a strong fan.

Obviously no spoilers but for those who finished it is Revelations, before all, an experience rather than a game ?

Honestly, I would say you should not buy it. So far (I am in sequence 3), Revelations reminds me of Brotherhood more than anything else.

I happen to love all of the ACs (well, not the first one so much but hey it was the first one) so I am really liking Revelations.... but if you were not an ACB fan I don't see how you would be an ACR fan.

DannyStrong
11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm personally loving both the SP and the MP. If you haven't played all the previous games or if you haven't been following the story too well you might be somewhat lost in the plot because the game is kind of pulling in all the games togethor.

Ezio292012
11-16-2011, 12:00 PM
i find the MP better than brotherhood

single player its awesome

souNdwAve89
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
The game is pretty good so far. I agree that it is slow in the beginning (I'm about 3-4 hours in) since it goes over a lot of the new game mechanics such as the hookblade, den defense, etc.

What I like:
- Improved apprentice gameplay: The assassins that you train actually have a personality now. They even talk to you when you're standing next to them at the Assassin Headquarters. You interact with them even more when you go on special missions with them. It is pretty cool that there are some occasions when you're speaking to Yusuf and there is a group of assassins with you.

- The multiplayer characters: The MP charaters are more in-depth than Brotherhood's. They actually play a bigger role in the story than Brotherhood too. These are the characters that you and apprentice would target.

- The hookblade: The mechanics are very fun such as ziplining around the city, using it as an offensive weapon, etc.

- Tweak in graphics: I'm not a big graphics person, but I can see the improvement. The water, city, night life, shadows, lighting, etc

- Desmond gameplay: The new feature is interesting since it's in first person view. It gives a good background on Desmond's life and explains the things that we've learn in past AC games.

What I don't like:
- HORRIBLE AI: I dunno if it's just a bug, but the enemy AI is worst in this game than past titles. There was this moment during the 1st Altair memory sequence where some of the enemy AI would just stand there. Some of them do fight you, but there are about 2-3 enemies just standing behind or around the area. They don't really do anything if you walk up to them or near them either. It is practically free kills.

- Hookblade climbing: I love the hookblade addition, but they replaced the long jump, high ledge grab, whatever it's called. You can climb the walls faster by using the hookblade, but it feels a little clunky at times.

- Too much emphasis on bombs: The usage of bombs and crafting is cool, but I don't like how they make some missions requiring you to use it. I'm sure there are ways, but there were times that you have to distract a guard in order to advance to the next area.

- Easiness: The level of difficulty in AC games is pretty low since you can just spam the counter or the attack button to kill your targets. The enemy types are nothing new and they're the same. The easiness part I want to talk about is the looting the specific target. There is a mission where you have to kill a number of targets to get a key. Well, you can pretty much kill them with a range weapon (poison darts, throwing knives, etc) and you acquire the key. EASY. What happened to the part where you kill the target and have to physically loot the dead body?

In all, the game is fun so far and I'm eager to find the revelations that they've been hyping up.

ajl992008
11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
i personally found bortherhood decent but NO WHERE near ac2 and was in some repsects dissapointed, however acr is just amazing, im at sequence 5 and omg the missions are well done excpet a chariot race mission at the start, that was annoying, but there is so much new and refreshing stuff that you NEED to get it if your an ac fan hands down, i will go as far as to say in my mind so far its better than ac2 and my fav game of the series.

ivetusmcsat8202
11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I can't say if you would like it if AC Brotherhood put you on the fence. There are alot of things they brought from ACB into ACR but it's not a clone. The fighting mechanics are mostly the same minus some additional moves with bombs, hookblade and so on. The addition of a Primary and Secondary weapon wheel, access via L2 and R2 is a major improvement. The flow of battles are smooth but sometimes it feels like it's too easy. I am in the beginning stages so I'm hoping they get a bit more challenging down the line. The graphics are the same as the previous Ezio titles but the environments are really detailed and beautiful. I have also noticed a vast improvement on climbing mechanics as I used to constantly get stuck climbing in ACB. Movements are more fluid and it's easier to direct Ezio where to move. The Hookblade will take some time to get used to but overall helps out greatly.
If you didn't like ACB then I presume you hated the MP portion. If not, ACR's MP seems to have improved alot from ACB and I can see myself already playing it alot more than I did ACB's MP.

Overall, if you like the AC series then this is a good buy. It's up to you though whether you can spend full price or a discounted price. I preordered for PS3 and do not regret it at all. I loved AC and was blown away by AC II, ACB kept the fire burning but dimmed it a little and ACR has cemented this series in my game collection and thoughts from now on. The music gets me everytime LOL.

PhiIs1618033
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Brotherhood was a major disappointment to me and Revelations was mounting up to be when I last posted here.
I'm a little further into the game now and I can honestly say I enjoy it. It's not totally mind-blowing, but it's alright to play. Freerunning with the hookblade smooths things out, for some reason, even though I was a pretty good freerunner in the previous game.
There are some gimmicky elements I don't like, but overall it's a decent game.

I'd say get it later when the price has dropped.

LightRey
11-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I never knew "Brotherhood" and "hater" could be used in a sentence like that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

luckyto
11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
It is more like Brotherhood than the others. It might be worth waiting for resale. But I think it is worth picking up, you will enjoy more than Brotherhood. There's lots of little tweaks that make the difference.

Originally posted by souNdwAve89:

- Easiness: The level of difficulty in AC games is pretty low since you can just spam the counter or the attack button to kill your targets. The enemy types are nothing new and they're the same. The easiness part I want to talk about is the looting the specific target. There is a mission where you have to kill a number of targets to get a key. Well, you can pretty much kill them with a range weapon (poison darts, throwing knives, etc) and you acquire the key. EASY. What happened to the part where you kill the target and have to physically loot the dead body?

HA! Just played that. I poisoned some captain from across the room and acquired the key... brilliant. Not.

Livey833
11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Ive just finished it today and i can honestly say its mind blowing ...
the ending is just.......

Ive loved all the AC`s so far...
I agree with the start being slow but its truely a great game

playassassins1
11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Livey833:
Ive just finished it today and i can honestly say its mind blowing ...
the ending is just.......

Ive loved all the AC`s so far...
I agree with the start being slow but its truely a great game

The Ending Was really a Revelation!

Lass4r
11-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by vorenus73:
Honestly, I would say you should not buy it. So far (I am in sequence 3), Revelations reminds me of Brotherhood more than anything else.

This is starting to be funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif look at previous posts, everyone is complaining about how ACR is boring and saying they're on Sequence 3 xD the general consensus is that it gets a lot better soon.

Sarari
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
One thing I don't get is why we can only free roam in 2 cities. I expected Ubisoft to fix that and let us free roam in at least 3 maps. I'm really disappointed in them about that.

And I heard that Ubisoft "extended" the truth. Meaning they really didn't mean what they said. First off, they said we will be able to free roam in Hama and Masyaf, but when they said that, they really meant replaying a mission and just running around. They just wanted us to think that we will have the ability to free roam after we beat the game. They also said that Altair missions would be 30-40 min long when they're just about 10 min.

I also heard they made a lot of cheap deals, like the Vlad Impaler sword, some pre order additions, the soundtrack that came with the pre order was just some old soundtracks, etc.

I feel like Ubisoft really took advantage of their fans of the series and just ripped us off on so many things. They knew that we were expecting so many things, but they knew they couldn't fit everything, so they just ripped us off. Ubisoft, respect for you guys has lowered.

djandysp
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Im gutted to find that after looking forwards to the "concluding" part of the Assassins creed games I found out it was a big let down. Ive bought all the other Assassins games and loved every one rather than renting the game first I thought id just buy it to complete the collection.....big mistake, a day later its complete, the sub missions are few and far between, no real decent armour upgrades, the sroryline is far too easy to get through and apart from the bombs which I could never be really bothered with there were no new weapons. In fact the thought thats gone into this game is sadly lacking and im really disappointed, just wondered what everyone else thought

yly3
11-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Ok, so it seems Revelations is just what Brotherhood should have been in the first place. I wanted an experience, a Revelation, goosebumps. Guess I will be buying it later when it will be significally cheaper.

EzioAssassin51
11-17-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm not a Brotherhood hater either, but a note. Since you liked AC1, you'll definitely have a soft spot for ACR since Constantinople will remind you a little of Damascus, some of the sound effects (death at least with the transition to loading screen) sounds like the AC1 Animus and since in Constantionple they speak Arabic (I think) it has that feel from AC1, in that sense. Also, some people call you a heretic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Also, despite what some people have said, I'm finding some bits a little more difficult that previous games like some missions (I admit we should have looted the body of the person to get the key) and the combat is slightly harder to counter and chain

Rogue Agent 035
11-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Now I am saying this having only that I am at sequence 3 mem. 1, I can't see where all the dislike from some is coming from to be honest. Granted there are some parts that I've seen so far that the developers coulda an shoulda left out (i.e. Den Defense, an maybe the Desmond's Journey) though that latter is hard to really say leave out but the least they coulda done was made the journey in 3rd person perspective or at least similar to the last desmond mission in ACB.

To me the high points are... well, pretty much everything..., the assassinations from the zipline in F-U-N fun an the different things you can do with the hookblade is top notch. I am however startin to see a few similarities in relation to the enviroment mainly the heralds, if you listen you'll notice that they are making the same announcements that were in ACB just tweaked to the local. All in all..., it's worth it to stream or buy, IGN gave it an 8.5 in their review..., well..., I give it a 9.0 easy. The best part I like about it so far though is that it won me a steak dinner cooked by my lovely wife http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rouge Agent 035

CRUDFACE
11-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Okay, I hated brotherhood. Like everything about it. the characters were shallow, the problems weren't that deep, and tbh, the story felt so panned out it looked desperate and pathetic. When people talk about brotherhood, all they talked about story wise was the scene where Desmond stabbed Lucy.

Revelations changed all that.

The bad:

Ubisoft advertised how much we would learn about desmond. That's a lie. Desmond missions are weirdly fun, but story wise suck...they suck hard.

100 synch, for some reason, they haven't made it so you can do these over from checkpoints. you have to start the ENTIRE multi part mission from the start...again and again.

Altair is just a re-skinned Ezio. fights like him and everything. his parts are fun though

Can't take off armor...seriously, WTF Ubisoft.

Not many side missions. Actually, I have none tbh and I just got the game two days ago...

But you've got to get it for these reasons:

The story is fun and gets awesome towards the end of sequence three.

Hookblade is sweet. the bombs aren't forced on you, but are fun none the less just to screw around with

Characters, specifically templar characters are deep and intriguing. And Yusuf is pretty cool in the story. he's way cooler than Mach from ACB

Assassin Recruits actually have personalities and its great to see how Ezio teaches and guides them through the master assassin missions, turning them into full on Master assassins. You can toggle the hoods and masks of assassins to!

Colors, graphics, faces are better, and the music is SWEET

the dungeons are far better than brotherhood. Better design/gameplay/the works

Chronomancy
11-17-2011, 04:15 AM
One thing that they have improved on is the lairs!

I couldn't stand these pathetic boring things that I had to do for the so called 'Ultimate Armor'.

They are now short fun and quite enjoyable.

I would rent ACR before making a purchase.

CRUDFACE
11-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Chronomancy:
One thing that they have improved on is the lairs!

I couldn't stand these pathetic boring things that I had to do for the so called 'Ultimate Armor'.

They are now short fun and quite enjoyable.

I would rent ACR before making a purchase.

They really are. This is the first time where I liked every single one. My favorite is the one where they're shooting you all the time. The rest I give solid B+ to!

tarrero
11-17-2011, 08:51 AM
From what I have seen so far....

Constantinople beats Roma on every aspect, when Brotherhood came up, I felt so dissapointed that aside from some "highlights" on every district, like the sorroundings of castel saint angelo, Colosseum and the Vatican, the design and plain and dull, but is was also that at the time, Florence, Venice and Constantinople were at better shape than Roma.

yly3
11-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Ok so based on the increasing number of reviews, unfortunately, I will be streaming Revelations like a movie on YouTube, just like I did with Brotherhood (which I did not regret doing that to be honest).

Only the fact that mechanics aren't changed (except hook blade), makes me pass away this game. If I want to have fun via kill-streaks I can easily double-click Brotherhood.

Ubisoft should learn from Conviction. I bought that game and I finished it 7 times I think and I STILL play it to this day, just because it is entertaining, even though at first I was so ****ed they turned it into an action game. I still play it because it's fun.
I really do not want to sound like a troll, but ..I really am starting to miss Patrice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Popcorn grabbed.

iN3krO
11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by yly3:
Ok so based on the increasing number of reviews, unfortunately, I will be streaming Revelations like a movie on YouTube, just like I did with Brotherhood (which I did not regret doing that to be honest).

Only the fact that mechanics aren't changed (except hook blade), makes me pass away this game. If I want to have fun via kill-streaks I can easily double-click Brotherhood.

Ubisoft should learn from Conviction. I bought that game and I finished it 7 times I think and I STILL play it to this day, just because it is entertaining, even though at first I was so ****ed they turned it into an action game. I still play it because it's fun.
I really do not want to sound like a troll, but ..I really am starting to miss Patrice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Popcorn grabbed.

I will download the game when it's released for pc.... i don't care **** about the multiplayer and i'm really disapointed from the feedbacks i'm reading -.-

(means i agree with u dude :X)

yly3
11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I have streamed for 4 hours and I am at Sequence 5 because nobody uploaded further. But I skipped until the "!" mission mark so I can only see the story, with some occasional missions here and there. It's better than Brotherhood alright, but it's still not worth buying in my opinion, at least not at 50 EUR that is.

Gamespot says towards the end that philosophical aspect from AC1 will return, that's the thing I am most looking forward to.

souNdwAve89
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I already said what I liked and didn't liked about ACR so far, but the more I play, the more problems I run into

SPOILERS

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">- The notice of killing a Templar captain ALWAYS shows up whenever I load the game or a new memory sequence. Is it there on purpose?

- During the cinematic of the assasisns gathering around and paying their respects to Yusuf, there is a voice synchronization problem. Ezio's voice is not in synced, but the assassin that talked is.

- When I recruited a female assassin (the acrobat mission), there is a but where you cannot attack the Templar soldier at all, which causes you to restart the memory.

- Not really a big problem, but there is some frame rate issues for the PS3 version, which usually happens during a cinematic such as Ezio running.</span>

So far, I am enjoying the game and I think it's well worth the $60 I paid. There is a lot more replay value than the past games.

gamertam
11-19-2011, 12:13 AM
yly3
I really do not want to sound like a troll, but ..I really am starting to miss Patrice Smile.

Does anyone know if Patrice and Corey May be back for AC3?

iN3krO
11-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by gamertam:
yly3
I really do not want to sound like a troll, but ..I really am starting to miss Patrice Smile.

Does anyone know if Patrice and Corey May be back for AC3?

Ubisoft is making more money with Amancio and the new guys, cuz they make a game that is not assassin's creed... Patrice was making ASSASSIN'S CREED... but Amancio and the new guys are copying standard sandbox things as SUPER OPNESS and Fast-Peaced EVERYTHING just to attract the majority of players...

I would also like Patrice to comeback but he's working at another studio already...

Departure from Ubisoft
Désilets left Ubisoft in June 2010, which was confirmed by the company on June 13, 2010. The publisher explained to Game Informer that Désilets' role as creative lead on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was "essentially done," and that he's no longer involved with the completion of the game.
Patrice Désilets would officially return to the games industry in the summer of 2011, joining THQ in their newly developed Montreal based studio.[3]
Amancio didn't like the ideas for Brotherhood, that's why his work with AcB was done 6months before AcB was released http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

witchlordsameus
11-19-2011, 06:18 AM
How anyone hated Brotherhood is beyond me, but to each there own.

Definatley a worthwhile AC title and the multiplayer feels so much more finished this time round (early days of ACB's multiplayer felt incomplete) I especially love that they took several of our ideas on board (such as the true hardcore wanted mode and going to stun against obvious assassins having worth)

If that pile of garbage MW3 wins game of the year over this masterpiece, then I feel sorry for those lost zombies that will never truly appreciate a great gaming series.