PDA

View Full Version : Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Xiolablu3
11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
EDIT: Were on but are now over.

baronWastelan
11-15-2009, 08:04 PM
How did you like them? Letters from Iwo Jima is my favorite war movie.

SeaFireLIV
11-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Got the pack on DVD.

I much preferred the japanese point of view. It was interesting seeing the Americans only as dark silhouettes that the (mostly scared) Japanese had to deal with. Very good.

Not many Western films show things from the enemy side these days.

Also saw `Death Note` and `I`m a cyborg but that`s ok.` which were very interesting. Love the different take that foreign films have on things. Great material for ideas and great relief from the Hollywood dirge we get.

Helps me think `out of the box`.

Xiolablu3
11-17-2009, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by baronWastelan:
How did you like them? Letters from Iwo Jima is my favorite war movie.

I prefer 'letters from Iwo Jima'. Very gritty and realistic (I think? Not having been to war on Iwo Jima how would I know?).

There was a little too much 'politics' in FOOF for me.

RSS-Martin
11-17-2009, 05:13 AM
I see it the same way Xiolablu, Letters from Iwo Jima great movie! Flags of Our Fathers, looks more like a kind of "road movie" and it has lenghts that are rather boring.

Scolar
11-17-2009, 06:44 AM
I thought they were both quite dull. The Japanese actor for the second movie was good however.

thefruitbat
11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
i much prefered letters from iwo jima, thought it was really good. depressing, but good.

TS_Sancho
11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I found Letters from Iwo Jima to be reasonably good, it was a refreshing angle on an old story and gave a good sense of the humanity wasted fighting a war which was already lost.

Flags of our Fathers was disappointing for me. I had been looking forward to it for some time (Clint Eastwood doing Iwo, count me in!). Unfortunately for my viewing pleasure, by the time the dust had settled from the amtracks, I found Flags to be lethargic and uninspired.

I did think it was an interesting idea that they both came from the same director at the same time, bookends so to speak.

SeaFireLIV
11-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
i much prefered letters from iwo jima, thought it was really good. depressing, but good.

Letters from Iwo jima was always going to be the `we`re all going to die` film, which is especially poignant since we`re watching from the loser`s point of view. Especially since failure for most Japanese fighters of the time meant no surrender. Being stuck on an island with no hope of backup doesn`t help either.

A very different experience from the `were going to win no matter what` Allied movies which are the staple diet.

That`s what makes the film so interesting.

thefruitbat
11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I found it somewhat depressing, not just because it was told from the japanese side. i am well aware of the history and the outcome, i just felt it captured the futility of war much more than most films, regardless of viewpoint. I found the thin red line quite similar in that way too.

Choctaw111
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Every time there is a thread about either of these movies, or this battle in general, I feel compelled to make a remark in it, not to brag, but to lift up a man for whom I have the utmost respect, my grandfather.
This photo was taken during the debut of the Flags of our Fathers movie.
Since my grandfather is one of the few Marines still living from that famous battle, he gets a great deal of attention these days.
He was about 100 yards away, at the base of Mt Suribachi, when the Flag went up. He can still feel the chills going up his spine.
In this photo, my grandfather, grandmother and I are on the right, my uncle, aunt and father on the left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/DSC03551-1.jpg

JtD
11-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I watched Flags of our Fathers first and Letters from Iwo Jima thereafter. I found Flags of our Fathers about average for a war movie, but Letters from Iwo Jima is a good one. It has not only the better story, but also the better way of storytelling. It also is better at carrying a anti-war message, which movies of this type imho should be carrying.

Ba5tard5word
11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah I wasn't crazy about either but Letters was by far the better film. FOOF just dragged on and wasn't very interesting despite having potentially good subject material. Letters kind of dragged on too but was a lot more interesting.