PDA

View Full Version : water = 3

bogusheadbox
08-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Well i tried it (thanks to all the help on the forums - is very easy to do)

And it looked absolutey spectacular with all settings maxed and AA and AF on.

But i could detect here and there a slow frame rate. Not drastic but i prefer silky smooth frame rates. So i reverted to water=2

Still looks really good but a noticable difference.

Ohh well i was hoping i could run water=3 no probs. I know i could tweak my system more, but happy with the eye candy i get and high fps on water=2

AMD 4000+
1 gig Ram
2 x 120 gig HDD.
6800 ultra
crappy sound card.

stansdds
08-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Yeah, water=3 is a resources hog. My system is only an AMD 3500+ and 6800 Ultra PCIe, 2 GB RAM and water=3 is pretty, but just slows me down. Maybe with an AMD 4000 and a 7800 card I might be able to run water=3? So who's going to send me the money? I would like a system that can run water=3, 3dgunners on, and rear view mirrors on and still maintain 40 fps minimum. Maybe that will be possible in a year or two.

Kuoster
08-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Your system specs should be more than enough to run water=3 with a consistent silky smooth FPS.

JunkoIfurita
08-18-2005, 04:44 AM
It seems to me that you should be able to run water=3 with your current specs, albeit at a frame rate of around 30 (more than enough for playable gameplay).

What resolution are you running at? Unless you're on an LCD monitor with a set resolution, you should stick to 1024*768 when you have your AA/AF settings maxed out. It looks good, and saves you a lot on frame rates.

An SLI system will run silky smooth water=3 - I'm running a pair of 7800GTX cards in SLI and I rarely drop below 60fps with water=3 and medium AA/Max AF settings. That's at 1280*1024 - which is the default resolution for my LCD monitor.

You pay the top dollar for that, though.

My CPU could be helping - a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (1066 FSB) at 3.79GHz, but then supposedly AMD chipsets give superior performance in games, so I don't see that that could be slowing you down.

----

major_setback
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
An easy way to improve your frame-rate is to shut down your anti-virus, firewall, and Internet-connection during play.

Also run Ad Aware (free spyware cleaner, look for it using google) before each time you 'fly'; spyware slows your system down A LOT.

Also you might install 'FS Autostart' which is a free progam that shuts down all unnecessary programs and utilities temporarily whilst you are gaming...you can configure this program to shut-down and re-start any program that you like...it is very simple to use as there are instructions advising which programs are suited to shutting down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif All currently working programs/services/utilities ar listed along with an option to turn them off (and re-start them after exiting PF). FS Autostart saves heaps of memory!!!

EDIT: I almost forgot, FS Autostart also defragments (clears) your working memory before you start gaming!!
It can also be set to run 'idle task' before gaming...this is a function in XP which 'cleans up' your system, it commences when your computer has been inactive for a number of minutes. It is much better to run it (via FS Autostart) before gaming (it only usually takes a couple of minutes) than for it to 'kick in' when you're on a toilet break etc.

major_setback

crazyivan1970
08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Do not use water=2 as per O.M.

It should be either 0,1 for ATI cards
or 0,1,3 for Nvidia

Brain32
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Do not use water=2 as per O.M.

It should be either 0,1 for ATI cards
or 0,1,3 for Nvidia

But for which cards water=2 is, I mean I tried it with my 6600 and it runed well,even better than with 1, but 1 looks better to me...

DRAGON_2_GO
08-18-2005, 04:14 PM
I also use Water=2 on a 6800LE and I can just agree to Brain 32....

So what's the advantage of not using Water=2?

NonWonderDog
08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
The advantage of using other than water=2 is water that isn't ugly. Water=2 doesn't have any waves at all for me, only reflections. I had heard that it's incomplete and unsupported.

bogusheadbox
08-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Ohhh i never new that. When on water = 2,

Like you said there are great reflections. Works well. and there seems to be shore waves. I will have to look into this further.

Maybe even do some tweaking to run water = 3.

Like i said i am not too sure about ocean waves, but the reflections seem to suggest this. However i am positive there are shore waves. Just less eye candy in the detail of the ground terrain under the water.

What difference to performance would there be in running water=3 and putting land detail from perfect back to excellent. Or would there be a large loss in eye candy?

JFC_Slumped
08-19-2005, 08:00 PM
As far as I'm aware you have to have land detail on perfect to get the pixel-shaded water, whatever water=x you have.

In my opinion an average frame reate of 30 isn't enough for games, simply because you need a bit of slack for the odd occasion when stuff gets busy.
You might be fine flying to target, but once you hit that fur-ball you'll be doing 10-15 fps.

I aim for around 50fps during calm flying. Personaly I'd rather have a min framerate of 30, than loads of eye candy and be watching a slide-show when it maters.

stansdds
08-20-2005, 05:09 AM
I remember when achieving 20 fps made one a computer god. "Experts" have often said that the human eye cannot detect any improvement beyond about 20 fps. I don't know, I do know that things look really herky-jerky when frame rates fall below 20.

I do have an LCD monitor and I run it at 1024x768. The rear view mirror is my frame rate killer and I wish I could keep it turned on as it does help a little with situational awareness.

bogusheadbox
08-22-2005, 05:08 AM
OK i tried playing around with Water=2 and Water=3. Everything on perfect and AA And AF.

I can run Water=3 but as said before still get stuttering. (very slight here and there). Not noticable at altitude but at low level flying over water, i can detect a faint Stutter.

On water=2, there is carrier roll, excellent water reflections. No whitecaps, no underwater terrain moddeling, but there are shore waves.

it looks a lot better than water=1 and it runs flawlessly smooth on my comp. No matter how much aircraft or aa is in the air. NO stutter whatsoever.

So there must be a large jump in resource usage from water=2 to water=3.

I prefer better game play over the best grpahics. But to be honest. Water=2 and everything on full creates some great eyecandy.

So for anyone who has an Nvidia 6800 card. Water=2 is a good option.

Bearcat99
08-22-2005, 07:05 AM
I have to say that IMO water=1 looks better than water=2.. go figure.. but try it. It seems that water=1 is actually more like water 3 but minus the whitecaps.. where as water=2 gives it that dead sea glossy look.

spiffalski
08-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Does the water=x setting only affect the sea when on "perfect landscape" settings?

I was playing about with it the other day and at some point ended up with a sea that I couldn't ,um, visualise well.

I'd try to fly low and crash into it.

Anyway. Same question applies to forest.

I'll summarise:
Does water/forest=0,1,2,3 affect the water/forest only on perfect. Or maybe only 3 works on perfect. But you can choose between 1 and 2 on excellent.

Can you see what I'm getting at?

bogusheadbox
08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I have to say that IMO water=1 looks better than water=2.. go figure.. but try it. It seems that water=1 is actually more like water 3 but minus the whitecaps.. where as water=2 gives it that dead sea glossy look.

Really ???? Hmm maybe i have been playing around with water=2 and 3 too much i didn't compare with water=1

Ohh bother !

I know water=1 does not have shore waves. But you say it has underwater terrain moddelling?
I wonder if it has carrier roll as well.

Hmmm i may have a play on that.

Bearcat99
08-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Dont get me wrong... water=3 is the best by far... but IMO water=1 looks better than water=2.... and it is really noticeable.

Asgeir_Strips
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Can somebody Post a screen with Water=1 , 2 and 3? Because i have a 9800pro (ati) and i've set the water to 3, so i get the good water (not the best)

Because i dont want the water "type" that comes default with the game when you install it..

major_setback
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Asgeir_Strips:
Can somebody Post a screen with Water=1 , 2 and 3? Because i have a 9800pro (ati) and i've set the water to 3, so i get the good water (not the best)

Because i dont want the water "type" that comes default with the game when you install it..

Look at the bottom of the page in this link...don't miss the shot (right at the end) of water=3 in a storm! (from other threads on this forum):

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/graphicsil2.htm

Check your watersettings by looking in the configuration file, (this is very simple to do)this is explained in this link:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...701024743#7701024743 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9841072643/r/7701024743#7701024743)

More screenshots of water=3:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...291004643#2291004643 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9841072643/r/2291004643#2291004643)

If you set water=3 and your card doesn't support it you might find that it automatically reverts to water=1.

griego
08-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Yeah, water=3 is a resources hog. My system is only an AMD 3500+ and 6800 Ultra PCIe, 2 GB RAM and water=3 is pretty, but just slows me down. Maybe with an AMD 4000 and a 7800 card I might be able to run water=3? So who's going to send me the money? I would like a system that can run water=3, 3dgunners on, and rear view mirrors on and still maintain 40 fps minimum. Maybe that will be possible in a year or two.

There isn't a system made yet that does not bog down with Water=3.

So save your money.

Unless someone chimes in with a system that they say works just fine with Water=3. [Yeah Right].

don't waste your money or anyone else. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

On the water issues Try Water=2 and Effect=1 IMHO this is the best solution for water until I can Use Water=3. With Effect=0 there wasn't enough waves to tell the difference between the sky and the water. And I kept crashing into it also. Actually Water=0 with Effect=1 also works well. Effect=1 give the water the large swells that make a difference on how it looks.