PDA

View Full Version : Cockpits and lack therof

Daiichidoku
11-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Daiichidoku
11-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted in ORR:

Seems there will be very little further development of FB, with BoB on piority

Even discounting BoB, many types in FB would never get a cockpit, due to lack of accurate sources

To get even more out of FB, perhaps it is time to unclench a bit on historical accuracy...there is already examples of not-quite historically accurate things in FB anyhow...

Two ways to this...both shoudl be relaticly easy, and non-time consuming to do...

1) Utilize existing cockpits for a given type, and apply them to the AI types of the same family, or series
ie: J8A pit for the Gladiator mks I and II
B-25J pit for B-25s C, G and H
Me 110 G2 pit for 110 C4 and C4 B
G4M1 pit for G4M2E
P 40 pit for the various Hawks
He-111 for He-111 Zwilling
Il-2 gunner for Il-2 field mod
etc....

2) Maximize use of most AI types by applying the most suitable cockpit, even if totally unrelated by manufacterer, or nationality of given type
ie: B-25 pit for B-17s, 24s, 29s, Pe-8, MBR, C-47
G4M1 pit for H8K
Hurri pits for Moranes
A 20 pits for Pe/Tu/Su 2s,
SBD pits for avengers,
Val pits for Judys
Zero or Tony pits for Georges
etc....the list for this utilization could really extend to ALL AI types

IMO, this would be WELCOME by most, if not all users of the FB line, and such a utilization in a patch for either solution could easily come with a readme disclaimer/explaination as to the types with "false" cockpits, that they are not historically accurate, and is wholly aimed at simply allowing the good consumer to get even more enjoyment from the product, and to expand the possibilites offered this way, for campaigns, pilot careers, coops, dfs, et al

those who balk at "inaccuracy" could simply choose NOT to use this patch

If, by chance, Oleg, or any dev member reads this thread, PLEASE post as to the work involved, personal opinions, etc...ANY FEEDBACK TO THIS ISSUE IS MOST WELCOME

POLL: to use existing cockpits in AI types?

danjama
11-04-2005, 08:39 PM
I said No, I really dont like the idea at all. Seems stupid to come this far and then throw it all away. Besides, what is the point in having innaccurate alternatives, when you have a perfect first choice? I would never invite this idea. It would seriously piss me off too because id have to install it to play online. Overall, bad idea IMO. I just couldnt fly a B25 cockpit on a PE2 or whatever, u get my drift.

waffen-79
11-04-2005, 11:47 PM
I voted YES, but with some variations on the issue.

I ALWAYS fly with cockpit on, even in WWview DF servers(...I know I get shot down a lot!).

Flying a C-47, B-17 with a B-25 cockpit just feels wrong.

I hate to say this but If you want to make the AI planes flyable, make them use WWview only.

i.e: Sometimes I wish I could fly a C-47 and drop cargo in a field during a Dogfight or fly the Storch in 334th or AFJ server. (u get the idea)

Of course they will only be available in Cockpit Off Servers.

Regards

HunglikePony
11-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Is people all crazy stupids in hear? If you not be liking idea of not correct cockpit for some planes, like B-25 for the C-47 as 'game will not feel right' etc excuse, then JUST DONT BE FLYING THOSE PLANES! yourself!
Make no diffrence to you what pilot in other plane is looking at when he at conrtols if you are is in your favorite fighter plane!
You be selfish if you think that harm game when in fact changes will not impact on your own fun because you not fly these planes be discussed!
What you will see as enemy fighter pilot is more variety of planes to shoot down and more accurate represent theater of war, for no effort or effect on your game! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Daiichidoku
11-05-2005, 06:10 PM
good point, waffen, with WW view, there is nothing to see at all, accurate or not

id personally enjoy flying a slightly inaccurate B-25 G with the 75mm gun to take out JP (or whoever's. for that matter) bunkers, tanks, sink small ships, demolish small buildings in a single go

and just think of the battle of france possibilities, P 36s and Moranes (and Hurris)taking on Emils and 110Cs

Fw 200 Condors doing recce and/or naval strikes

yummy!

sparty7200
11-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Exactly what are the chances of this happening?

VonShlagnoff
11-06-2005, 05:22 AM
I voted yes, the pro's definatly out weigh the cons. Even if you had a generic cockpit for each engine layout it woul; mean that planes that should have been included from the start or even in the expasion packs can be flown on and off line.

If anyone feels that the quality of the game would be reduced then they should revisit some of the pits that have made it into the game, the pzl and the 153 strike me as particularly blocky and poorly drawn, especially when compared to the J8a.

Also if anyone wants to complain about the F/M being incomplete for many AI planes, then I ask you this, why then is it ok in campaigns for aircraft with complete F/Ms to fly against aircraft that have incomplete F/Ms surely that in itself is not fair.

And ofcourse there is always the arguement that if you dont like it dont fly it, no one is suggesting that if this is even cfonsidered that it will install defaults that will detract from current gameplay.

And who's idead was it that you could have an eastern european sim without any Russiam multi engine types or the Ju88 and the Fw 189, or the aces expansion without a B17 or B24. Or the pitiful P/F plane set, I mean whoever let that get out needs shooting, I'm so glad that I ran it as an expansion pack and it was not my firts 1C purchase.

Daiichidoku
11-06-2005, 04:30 PM
bump

Daiichidoku
11-08-2005, 01:33 AM
again

LameDuck.
11-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Voted Yes for this:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Utilize existing cockpits for a given type, and apply them to the AI types of the same family, or series
ie: J8A pit for the Gladiator mks I and II
B-25J pit for B-25s C, G and H
Me 110 G2 pit for 110 C4 and C4 B
G4M1 pit for G4M2E
P 40 pit for the various Hawks
He-111 for He-111 Zwilling
Il-2 gunner for Il-2 field mod
etc.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

However, I'm a bit concerned about so many North American bombers having the same pit:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ie: B-25 pit for B-17s, 24s, 29s... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for asking! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

waffen-79
11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Yes! Daiichidoku you get my feeling

For instance you don't fly the ME109 the same way like the FW190 for obvious reasons AND cockpit view, deflection shots are different in those planes.

If we give cockpits to planes it would feel wrong if the cockpit doesn't quite "FIT" the external model i.e: the ME-410 with a Bf-110 cockpit.

If they grant WWview to the AI planes that would be virtually NO EXTRA job just a switch in code or something.