PDA

View Full Version : Oleg and Ilya Please fix these two exploits

AirWireFox
03-08-2007, 02:32 AM
No1--The Sonic Radar
It is common knowledge that you can mess with your sound settings or files so that you can hear other planes approaching from afar.This makes stalking planes or BnZ no fun on a full switch server. Too many times I have crept up on a victim in his low six, no-one else around, to see him break when I am 3-400m away.The moment is lost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

No2 360 Degree view Some Carrier planes

On planes that enable you to lift your seat with the canopy open for carrier landings.This is great for landing but not so real for cruising at 200-300 mph or high flight.

At high speeds would you really be able to stick your head above the canopy? I think not, you would lose your helmet, goggles, eyeballs, moustache and lips perhaps at high speeds.

Second, flying high, canopy open not a good idea due to cold.
The seat raising trick(when not landing) enables a 360 view even on a corsair. This again makes tactics very unreal in full switch servers.
Can this facility be disabled above a certain height and speed i.e. Auto close canopy.

I hope you can help Oleg and Ilya

And if you can't help let's hope people can be more honourable!!

AirWireFox
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Does n't this bother anyone else???

pip_pip_old_boy
03-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Second, flying high, canopy open not a good idea due to cold.

If i remember correctly flying with the canopy open was rather common on some planes like the la-5 for safety reasons due to noxiuos gas build if it was closed

Philipscdrw
03-20-2007, 09:04 AM
But raising your seat and flying with your head in a 500kmph airstream is a different matter!

weaselwagon1
03-26-2007, 07:05 AM
i'm more bothered that i dont have a KI44 shoki to try to shoot you down with...or a spit 14,or JU88G or He219...

M_Gunz
03-26-2007, 07:26 AM
The sound thing is an OLD ISSUE. Get to know honest players and get on with them, the chances
of a change are slim to none. That will fix the other problem as well.

What can I say otherwise? I sure can't fix those!

CarpeNoctem43
04-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Get to know honest players and get on with them, the chances
of a change are slim to none.

Maybe this should be the slogan for all exploits and their fix requests.

M_Gunz
04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe you should realize what year it is.

Viper2005_
04-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
The sound thing is an OLD ISSUE. Get to know honest players and get on with them, the chances
of a change are slim to none. That will fix the other problem as well.

What can I say otherwise? I sure can't fix those!

Good advice, but where do you draw the line?

Very few pilots operate their aircraft within the published engine limits for example, because the current system gives them no incentive to do so. Of course, some aircraft are worse than others in this regard (Spitfire at low speed & P-47D at altitude spring to mind as the worst offenders, but plenty of "blue" aircraft are also abused).

I fly the Fw-190 most of the time, and am somewhat ashamed to say that I don't even know what the climb & cruise power settings should be. I just fly for maximum performance, which is certainly effective, but IRL would probably not make me popular with the guys maintaining my a/c.... (since I fly my A9 at 100% power, 90% prop pitch + WEP, rads closed in the cruise this is probably an understatement!)

Then of course there are g limits. In the game, everything breaks at 15 g. IRL most aircraft would break rather sooner than that, especially when carrying certain loadouts, and of course not all aircraft are created equal...

Throw in gust limits and things could get very interesting very quickly with turbulence!

Current flutter modelling in the game is rudimentary at best and works on IAS rather than TAS. This is most unfortunate since flutter is largely dependent upon TAS.

Mach number effects just don't add up; the P-38 is crippled on the deck & probably over-performs at altitude, yet almost all other a/c get away scot free. Not long ago I conducted a steep dive with a 190 on the Crimea map and attained a Mach number >1 without any difficulty; compare with Eric Brown's accounts of a tactical Mach number of 0.75...

The glide performance of most aircraft modelled seems rather optimistic when compared with my experience flying both gliders & light aircraft, but it's hard to find R/L data on the glide performance of WWII fighters...

This list is far from exhaustive.

Presumably, "honest" players should somehow avoid all of these "exploits"?

Now, I don't see any of this getting fixed in the time available. But despite this I think that it is well worth posting about these things anyway because hopefully such posts will inform the design of BoB/SoW. Equally, I don't want to give the impression that this is a bad sim; it's the best WWII combat sim I've ever flown, and in fact it's one of the best sims I've ever flown full stop.

MAILMAN------
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pip_pip_old_boy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Second, flying high, canopy open not a good idea due to cold.

If i remember correctly flying with the canopy open was rather common on some planes like the la-5 for safety reasons due to noxiuos gas build if it was closed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he is getting at is the fact that Zeroes, Wildcats and Corsairs (helps the F4U-1 [Corsair MkI] with the birdcage) who open the canopies and raise the seat at 20,000 feet to avoid having to look through the canopy bars. Not all aircraft were given the ability to open the canopies in the game. The oxygen was reduced at those altitudes not to mention how cold it was up there.

The game's pilot animation causes the pilot to put on the oxygen mask when 10,000 feet is exceeded and removed when below 10,000 feet. The mask is also removed when the canopy is opened. The point I make is that oxygen deprivation is not modeled nor is extreme cold temperatures so for any aircraft with the ability to open the canopy at those high altitudes is an exploit and the raised seat of these three aircraft magnify it.

An example of the affects lack of oxygen played in combat is the P-400, export version of the P-39. Without getting into a discussion about being underpowered for its weight and lack of turbosupercharger that was initially designed into the aircraft, the main reason the P-400 was useless as an interceptor at Guadalcanal was that there was no oxygen system was installed in it like there was on subsequent P-39's. The maximum altitude that the P-400 could operate at was 12,000 feet with the rare exception of a pilot that could go up to 14,000 feet and not pass out. The JNAF and JAAF aircraft came in at higher altitudes which made it impossible for the P-400 to even get close so they always started combat at a big disadvantage. This is why the F4F Wildcats would climb above and the P-400 would essentially be the bait for the Zero and Oscars.

My suggestion would be that all canopies and seats are to be close except when in the landing or takeoff configuration where the landing gear is down and/or tailhook is down on carrier landings and possibly equate this to below a specific altitude.

I have a ntrk recording from the Zekes versus Wildcat Server, Munda Map where Zeroes and F4U-1 (Corsair MkI) Corsairs are in combat with canopies open and I assume seats raised at 18,000 feet plus altitude. No matter how you slice it, it isn't right.

M_Gunz
04-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Get a squad that matches how you want to play.
Check to see how many and what other groups they get into organized events with.
You can find out quick how much funny stuff slides and what does not wash.
That's how you fly online without exploits happening, you find others that don't and you fly
with them. It is a very old solution to a very old problem, WW's go back to early 1992!

M_Gunz
04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Then of course there are g limits. In the game, everything breaks at 15 g. IRL most aircraft would break rather sooner than that, especially when carrying certain loadouts, and of course not all aircraft are created equal...

Throw in gust limits and things could get very interesting very quickly with turbulence!

SOW:BoB might have that, the bumps, bangs and twists in the air. FFB should be required or how
to know what your plane is going through before you can see plainly?

Current player first time they lose control or wings to an updraft, what do they tell loudly?

Current flutter modelling in the game is rudimentary at best and works on IAS rather than TAS. This is most unfortunate since flutter is largely dependent upon TAS.

Mach number effects just don't add up; the P-38 is crippled on the deck & probably over-performs at altitude, yet almost all other a/c get away scot free. Not long ago I conducted a steep dive with a 190 on the Crimea map and attained a Mach number >1 without any difficulty; compare with Eric Brown's accounts of a tactical Mach number of 0.75...

So you made a track and sent it in, right?

The glide performance of most aircraft modelled seems rather optimistic when compared with my experience flying both gliders & light aircraft, but it's hard to find R/L data on the glide performance of WWII fighters...

This list is far from exhaustive.

There are only so many factors you can simulate at once and still a playable framerate.
Look at minimum PC for SOW:BoB and reccomended. You want more, you have to support more.
I'm not ready for SOW but I can play IL2.

Presumably, "honest" players should somehow avoid all of these "exploits"?

No, not all of them.

Do what the guys that went to war did. Take what you got and learn to use it best.
And the guy I learned that from was bomber crew including pilot to Norden sighter in WWII.
Just let the minor stuff slide, slick. Immerse. You don't live knowing what's going to
happen from some future history book. Play the game like you're living it and screw the
fools that want to adjust what they can't. They never get the full game.

Waldo.Pepper
04-19-2007, 12:41 AM
"honest" players

In my experience there is no such thing as a honest player, except for myself, and I am a chronic liar and untrustworthy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif