PDA

View Full Version : Take off

ninko
05-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Help - I cannot take off on a carries or on land. Every time I try, the plane just veers off woldly and I crash and burn. Has this hapened to anyone else?

I'm not a flight sim novice, and have never encountered anything like this. Oh, and my landing gear only deploys about one in ten times.

Any help please? thanks

ninko
05-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Help - I cannot take off on a carries or on land. Every time I try, the plane just veers off woldly and I crash and burn. Has this hapened to anyone else?

I'm not a flight sim novice, and have never encountered anything like this. Oh, and my landing gear only deploys about one in ten times.

Any help please? thanks

RAF74_Poker
05-24-2005, 12:19 PM
25% or 50% fuel
light bomb load
start engine.
open canopy to check for sounds of other planes powering up in front.
If you can raise seat (Zero/Corsair, et al) check in front for other aircraft.
power up
Right rudder trim..
stick forward.
release chocks.
As the tail comes up compensate to keep tail raised... input right rudder to stay lined on deck.
Full flaps just before the end of the deck.
raise gear as soon as you pass the lip.

If it's an F2 or F4 you have to manually crank gear up/down (map on your keyboard)

Fliegeroffizier
05-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Almost all newcomers to FB or PF experience difficulty their first few times attempting takeoff. In my opinion it is due to the accuracy of the flight modelling in this sim. If you are coming from Micros$ft CFS2 experience, the transition will be especially surprising. [What, more precisely, IS your flight sim experience?? Which products/simulationss?]

For starters, use your rudder to counter engine torque (extent of this effect varies between different aircraft). Be very gentle in your control inputs...yanking the joystick will cause you to lose control/crash-and-burn.

I've never heard of anone having your experience with landing gear not lowering(deploying as you put it). However, if you are flying a Wildcat, the gear needs to be manually lowered..the default "G" for automatically lowering landing gear doesn't work. You need to asign a key for manual gear, then hit it Repeatedly(10-20 times i think) to "crank" the gear down.

x6BL_Brando
05-24-2005, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the gear needs to be manually lowered..the default "G" for automatically lowering landing gear doesn't work. You need to asign a key for manual gear, then hit it Repeatedly(10-20 times i think) to "crank" the gear down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very useful when your hydraulic lines are damaged by flak or enemy bullets too! Many planes had back-up manual systems as well; very useful, it can save your 'life', http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

heywooood
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
yeah.. take off, eh.

experienced sim pilot? We must assume you have a stick w/rudder control or rudder pedals?...

maybe you are too ham fisted on the throttle?

Takeoffs should not be this kind of problem - check calibration and inputs from your periferals and try again with more gradual throttle increase on the runway takeoffs and fly the tail asap to give you better rudder authority - and for carrier T/O go to full power with the chocks in place and let it run for a three count atleast to be sure you have max RMPs before releasing the chocks. Be sure to counter the prop torque with enough counter pressure on the rudder.

IL2-chuter
05-25-2005, 03:12 AM
Just smoothly throttle up and keep it straight on a smooth surface. It's not like Real-Life where you have to use nearly full rudder to counter the massive torque or you might groundloop (you can't even groundloop!)- yeah, I'm an arrogant taildragger pilot. One German pilot said his late war 109 takeoff technique was to hold full right rudder and steer with the throttle. On carriers I use full flaps and on land I don't use any . . . just what I do.

Have fun. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Kernow
05-26-2005, 03:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:

Very useful when your hydraulic lines are damaged by flak or enemy bullets too! Many planes had back-up manual systems as well; very useful, it can save your 'life', http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah good idea - never thought of that before.

kalaluth
05-26-2005, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ninko:

Any help please? thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This file (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=299) gave some help to French pilots that got the same problem. It's a training pack for take-off and landing a Corsair, from land and Carrier. Sorry for the French 'read-me'. Short translation :

"Files *.mis and *.properties to be installed in "Missions\single\UN\training". To be crated if necessary.
Files *.ntrk to be installed in "records".

First mission is for land operation, from Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. Tree targets: take-off, landing and going to the right parking. Track "Manoeuvres F4U-1A.ntrk" shows it. Look at the map before taking off, repairs are rivers and the coast.

The second mission is for carrier operation, from and to Lady-Lex. Track "Manoeuvres navales F4U-1A.ntrk" shows it. Do not try before getting the first one right. Some commands are to be defined by the player (manual wheels up and down, hood, etc...)

han freak solo
05-26-2005, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the gear needs to be manually lowered..the default "G" for automatically lowering landing gear doesn't work. You need to asign a key for manual gear, then hit it Repeatedly(10-20 times i think) to "crank" the gear down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very useful when your hydraulic lines are damaged by flak or enemy bullets too! Many planes had back-up manual systems as well; very useful, it can save your 'life', http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damage to the landing gear is modelled in the game? I guess I've been lucky. I've yet to lose the use of my gear or my flaps (unless I damaged them myself). Even with the engine off, both of these items work for me.

I'd love to come in for a landing and have only one main gear come down or maybe none!

VW-IceFire
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:

Damage to the landing gear is modelled in the game? I guess I've been lucky. I've yet to lose the use of my gear or my flaps (unless I damaged them myself). Even with the engine off, both of these items work for me.

I'd love to come in for a landing and have only one main gear come down or maybe none! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep...not modeled on all aircraft but I've had the hydraulics damaged and you need to manually deploy the landing gear like you would on the I-16 or F4F. I've had this happen on the IL-2, the P-51, the F6F, F4U, and others.

JadehawkII
05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
For some planes like the IL2, when you take off, you need to keep the tail down as long as possible. If you bring up the tail too soon, you will face the dreaded "torque dance" and next thing you know, your off into a different direction than you want to take off from and your back seater wil give you hell! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

So, the next time your taking off and it jerks into a different direction, try next time to keep that tail down as long as possible!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fliegeroffizier
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ninko:

Any help please? thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well?? You've been offered lots of help/advice....Anything work for you? I'm curious that you've not responded, and particularly curious about how you feel now about your previous 'flightsim experience' versus what you find in FB/PF, with regard to realism/accuracy of the flight models..