PDA

View Full Version : Why PF is worth it even if *twice* as buggy

Chuck_Older
10-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Have you guys looked at the FMB after installing PF? have you?

Look at the *landing craft*, the hangars, the buildings, the *mortar team*, the dugouts, the phoney a/c, the phoney gun, the *control tower* the pilots in the water.

Now imagine what the mission builders like Extreme_One have already done with this stuff!

All this stuff goes right on over the the Eastern Front/Western front, too...landing craft on D-Day? Yup. Infantry positions outside of Stalingrad? Yup.

I have already updated two missions of my own with these new toys...I don't know whether to play PF, or make missions for it! If you make missions, you have so many more possibilities open for you now...and if you don't, well learn!

Chuck_Older
10-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Look at the *landing craft*, the hangars, the buildings, the *mortar team*, the dugouts, the phoney a/c, the phoney gun, the *control tower* the pilots in the water.

Now imagine what the mission builders like Extreme_One have already done with this stuff!

All this stuff goes right on over the the Eastern Front/Western front, too...landing craft on D-Day? Yup. Infantry positions outside of Stalingrad? Yup.

I have already updated two missions of my own with these new toys...I don't know whether to play PF, or make missions for it! If you make missions, you have so many more possibilities open for you now...and if you don't, well learn!

Mozzie_21
10-30-2004, 06:49 PM
All of that candy is great stuff.

Like I said in another thread, PF has unfortunately been released early, it is in a sense in a beta stage.

So what if you pay for the beta and get a free "final release copy" via a patch.

rodion_zero
10-30-2004, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

Look at the *landing craft*, the hangars, the buildings, the *mortar team*, the dugouts, the phoney a/c, the phoney gun, the *control tower* the _pilots in the water_.

I have already updated two missions of my own with these new toys...I don't know whether to play PF, or make missions for it! If you make missions, you have so many more possibilities open for you now...and if you don't, well _learn!_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I totally agree with you, it's only because I'm a fellow "sandbox" fan. What is a sandbox sim player? Well, its the sort of player who simply uses the simulation as a "test" tool to check the various possibilities offered by the sim engine. Usually, these tests are done via a sandbox or mission builder or a scenario editor type of program. I can spend hours enjoying testing out a single aircraft, but then it's because I'm a sandbox player.

Unfortunately, over 70% of those who are into sims like IL2/IL2FB/AEP/PF are NOT sandbox players and some of them are the type of people who have no qualms with switching to something like DOOM3 after a round of PF dogfights online. And thus, to these people, some of the bugs are indeed annoying.

There is also a special niche of users who are after 100% (or close) accuracy when it comes to historical facts about the sim, simply because the sim is set in a historical era. Again, for these people, any inconsistencies in the sim re these historical figures are likely to make them really irritated with it.

Again, for now, I don't care much about perfect water (thus I don't care if it's running perfectly or not LOL), I don't care about some of the erroneous performance of some of the aircraft (heck I don't fly some of them anyways), and I'm not worried if I am in a "sitting duck" airplane when flying online (because I don't regularly fly online!)...and thus, I'm happy with it and my sandbox...but again, that's me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-RODION

Oilburner_TAW
10-30-2004, 10:00 PM
If anybody complains about "bugs" they are out of touch with reality. I don't think there is any software that has been released since the Internet became commonplace (thus enabling easy patch delivery) that doesn't have bugs. Who out there honestly expects to buy a game without bugs (not that you like them, but who honestly is surprised when there are bugs??). Look at what you've spent, what you've got, then go to EB games or Gamestop or whatever and look what $40 bucks will get you. I personally feel like I got a bargain.

Anybody besides me spend $50 on StarWars BattleFront? What a complete P.O.S. If you think PF is bugged, man, you are living in the land of cool-aid streams and bubble gum clouds.

Tully__
10-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Flight sim software is among the most complex on the market. If this were a professional package (CAD/CAM, picture editor, CGI animator, database suite etc..) it would have a retail price 5-10 times higher. At the shelf price charged for games, the developers simply cannot afford to run the test programs and support services that professional packages enjoy.

I'm happy to contribute a bit of beta testing in this game as the developers do respond, they've continually shown that.

Snootles
10-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Why is it worth it, warts and all? Because of the patches!

Feathered_IV
10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
Even if this was all we are getting, I'd still happily pay the asking pricew and yhink I've got away with a bargain.

Very happy customer.