PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so how does it work...

grumpy01
09-09-2006, 03:42 PM
New to the multiplayer section of IL2 and I have a few questions.

1. How widespread is track IR among Hyperlobby players?

2. Once I click on a scenerio to enter in hyperlobby, is it a free for all, or do I just hook up with another player that spawns into a field?

3. What is the most common allied/axis plane encountered in hyperlobby?

4. If I log on solo do I need a voice communication system, or do most people just use the ingame chat?

5. I would like to try the Virtual Eastern Front server but hear it's confusing and takes long for missions to organize and fly. Anyone have experience flying VEF? I went to the website and was confused as where to start?

6. Anyone on after midnight (central time) all days of the week? I'm looking for someone to contact who can show me the ropes.

Thanks
Thanks

zaelu
09-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Try the dogfight servers first. "Spits vs 109", "Zeke vs Wildcat", Wings of War", "War_clouds_WF" are among the best.

The games are almost never free for all is Axis vs Allied still http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ...

Read briefiengs carefully, on some servers (like Spits vs 109 and Zeke vs wildcat) you need to set the connection speed to maximum from HL ini file. Find hlpro.ini in Hyperlobby root folder and edit the [Forgotten Battles] like this:

"[Forgotten Battles]
joinDelay=2
clientRate=100000
serverRate=100000
;Determine the client source port. Useful when is more that one user behind the NAT router.
;Must be diferent for each user behind the same NAT router

..."

The missions running on those servers can be quite complex now but very entertaining. A comunication software like "teamspeak" is highly recomended.

TIR, Rudder pedals and ofcourse a good HOTAS are very welcomed too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

Welcome to Online wars http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

VW-IceFire
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by grumpy01:
New to the multiplayer section of IL2 and I have a few questions.

1. How widespread is track IR among Hyperlobby players?

2. Once I click on a scenerio to enter in hyperlobby, is it a free for all, or do I just hook up with another player that spawns into a field?

3. What is the most common allied/axis plane encountered in hyperlobby?

4. If I log on solo do I need a voice communication system, or do most people just use the ingame chat?

5. I would like to try the Virtual Eastern Front server but hear it's confusing and takes long for missions to organize and fly. Anyone have experience flying VEF? I went to the website and was confused as where to start?

6. Anyone on after midnight (central time) all days of the week? I'm looking for someone to contact who can show me the ropes.

Thanks
Thanks
1) Somewhat spread about...but not more than maybe a 1/3rd of pilots.

2) Its generally a free for all in the dogfight servers. COOPs can be more organized. Some folks are free for all nomatter where they are...they die often. If you're new to the game...try UK-Dedicated1 for version 4.04m and UK-Dedicated2 for version 4.05.

3) Depends on the server alot. In the Western Front severs you see alot of the 109, 190, Yak 3, La-7, and Spitfire. The Yak, La, Spitfire are most common in the free for all servers because of their good turn and relatively easy manuevering. The more expert pilots tend to be found (although not always) in FW190s, Lightnings, Tempests, or Thunderbolts. Some bomber pilots flying whatever bombers available too!

4) Voice comms are a great thing to have. If you come fly on UK-Dedicated...I highly recommend grabbing TeamSpeak and logging onto their TS server. It enhances the experience a thousand times and its easier to get in on the team organized attack groups that tend to be setup on the servers (largely just with whoever wants to fly them). Nothings cooler than a formation of 6 or 8 Pe-2s or B-25s with everyone on voice coms.

5) None here really... Pretty serious folks. I hear its a great experience if your into it.

6) Sometimes but not often.

grumpy01
09-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really look forward to when BOB comes out and it's basically Spits vs. 109's. A virtual BOB would be great where you could grab a 109 out say Abbeville and go make a fighter sweep over southern England.

The thing about Hyperlobby is it sounds like all the planes are late model 1944 and onwards. I would like to have a go in a 109F but don't want to get raped by a Tempest or late model Spit. It would be nice if there were sub servers in Hyperlobby where in each server you could use planes used in 1940..1941..1942..etc.

I'm glad to hear not that many people are into tracker IR. Right now shelling out $120 for it would get me kicked out on the curve by the wifehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I currently use a microsoft sidewinder with rudder movement built into the joystick. It suits me fine. Basic command buttons include two for flap settings, two for close up gunsight view and regular view, one for tracking enemy fighter, and one for wep.

I would like to get into the VEF but a lot of it is in Russian and I'm not real sure where to start. It sounds like it gets you more involved in feeling part of the eastern front through.

Are there many 109's in hyperlobby, and if so what model?

S!

RCAF_Irish_403
09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
HL doesn't pick the planes to be flown....the servers do. Download HL and have a look on the left hand side....those are the servers that are currently up and running. there are many opprotunities to fly every plane in the sim

VW-IceFire
09-10-2006, 08:22 AM
The thing about Hyperlobby is it sounds like all the planes are late model 1944 and onwards. I would like to have a go in a 109F but don't want to get raped by a Tempest or late model Spit. It would be nice if there were sub servers in Hyperlobby where in each server you could use planes used in 1940..1941..1942..etc.

Again....it depends on the server. You need to log in to HyperLobby and see the sheer diversity of servers. Join us on UK-Dedicated1 or 2 and you'll see that the server rotates maps on roughly an hourly basis. Each map is a historical scenario (some that I've contributed) based on WWII events. We actually have one thats meant to be a Spanish civil war scenario actually.

In any case...the server covers a vast array of scenarios, time periods, and maps. We've got Berlin 45 with a few jets mixed in (limited in numbers thanks to Server Commander) and we've got things like Solomons with 1942 US Army planes against the Japanese and then we have a variety of East Front maps. The most flown plane on the server according to Server Commander stats is the Bf109F-4. This is measured in terms of hours total by all players. So you can see its not all 1945.

Some servers are like that...and do very well with that diverse planeset. Others are scenario based. Others are purely limited on year. I know even the more arcadey servers like AFJ and 334th varry their planesets based on year.

Get online...try some out. It'll take some time to find a server you like but there are ample opportunities to fly early war or mid war aircraft on several servers. Its not one monolithic server...HyperLobby is just a server monitoring software...there are probably 30 or 40 servers online right now. They are all different.

grumpy01
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I got on last night after work and entered a server with just one player on (I'm assuming the host). I had a wide selection of planes to choose from so I picked a 109G-14. The take off and flying around was very smooth and without and packet loss. I really enjoyed using the external view to pan around the aircraft during take off. The server hosts' instructions were very specific, no firing on aircraft while on the ground, and during take off and landings. You were supposed to put on your landing lights when approaching ther airfield which I didn't understand. Was that for the benifit of an attacking planing knowing not to fire on you? I never did see anyone but that was ok as I was just testing the waters.

Question: If there is a server I want to try that has three of four people on how can I check to see what type planes they are flying before I spawn in. I don't want to grab a older plane that will get raped.

Freelancer-1
09-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Question: If there is a server I want to try that has three of four people on how can I check to see what type planes they are flying before I spawn in. I don't want to grab a older plane that will get raped.

Hi, grumpy.

On a DF server, you can be certain that the latest models will be only ones being flown in any plane set. No need to check.

If you want to try earlier war planes and not get clobbered, try checking out and joining one of the many co-ops being flown all the time on HL.

You will likely not have to wait long before someone is launching one with settings and theater you are comfortable with. Although they do tend to be higher 'switch' than a lot of the DF servers.

hi_stik
09-10-2006, 10:24 PM
dude, it's super simple. When you first get on a server w/ people on it, pick which side you want (like evening out teams, or if it's an Allied vs. Axis scenario, which side you prefer to fight for), and then choose a plane you like. When you spawn on the runway, hit the "S" key (default) to see the player list. If the baddies are all in superior planes, hit "esc" then "refly", because since you haven't started up the motor yet, you're good to go.

One more thing: Avoid the War Clouds server. It's got a crappy rule about dying 2 times. You get kicked for dying twice. It's irritating for us new guys, so don't even bother with it. Go w/ the "Zekes vs. Wildcats" or "Spits vs. 109s" servers, they rule

grumpy01
09-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks hi_stik that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I logged on HL last night to check the action out and saw a Zekes Vs Wildcats server up but didn't go into it. I went into another server that had 4 people on and notice there was blue and red airfields. I picked a blue airfield to spawn in at, but my son woke up and needed fed so that ended the night for mehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Basically I would like go into servers that have allied vs axis planes and not each side mixing the two. I guess tonight I'll look around again. I don't have teamspeak up but don't really want it either. Is that a problem going solo?

One other question. What does everyone use for their radiator settings when in combat. I'm assuming you close it completely your engine will overheat?

hi_stik
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
here's my theory on radiator ops:

I open it all the way from the time I turn on the engine, all the way through the climb to altitude, and while cruising around the sky looking for targets or for the flight to bomb something. If and when I spot an enemy airplane, I close it to the "2" setting (1 step up from fully closed), so there's SOME airflow, but it's faired as close to the fuselage as possible. If I'm in a bomber, I leave it open all the time.

VW-IceFire
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I got on last night after work and entered a server with just one player on (I'm assuming the host). I had a wide selection of planes to choose from so I picked a 109G-14. The take off and flying around was very smooth and without and packet loss. I really enjoyed using the external view to pan around the aircraft during take off. The server hosts' instructions were very specific, no firing on aircraft while on the ground, and during take off and landings. You were supposed to put on your landing lights when approaching ther airfield which I didn't understand. Was that for the benifit of an attacking planing knowing not to fire on you? I never did see anyone but that was ok as I was just testing the waters.

Never seen a server enforce rules on landing lights but most of us tend to use nav and landing lights either to get attention of someone else on the field or during actual landing.

Some maps and servers when you get alot of people in there tend to get pretty busy. If there is one or two airfields on that server for each side things can get crowded. So some landing lights usually helps the more observant to stay the heck off the runway.

If you want to see what other people are flying you have to be in the server. Get into the server, select a plane, click Fly, and then press S and hold it. This will show you names, scores, and planes being flown. You can always hit refly while stationary.