PDA

View Full Version : So... who is my enemy again?

Shoop_da_whoop
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
To be frank, I'm overwhelmed when taking on any type of mission. Usually, I would start up and take off, then follow for some distance, then all hell breaks loose. When the enemies start attacking, I have no idea where they are attacking from and I can't distinguish my friend from foe. The AI keeps shouting numbers at me but I honestly have no idea what any of it means. I get lost and just fly around hoping I don't get shot.
... I would really appreciate some help.

VW-IceFire
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Do you have icons on? That usually helps get you started. I still play with them on most of the time.

Akronnick
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Ignore the AI, you can be sure they are ignoring you!

As to freindly/enemy that's just one of many skills that must be learned to become proficient, but you can just turn the Icons on and have fun, nobody will come and confiscate your joysick if you don't play 'full switch'

Shoop_da_whoop
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Well what about when I decide to try out the online scene and go on one of 'em realistic servers. Surely they have the icons off but I'm guessing that once you've played this game enough that you can tell the difference or something?

Akronnick
06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
If you want realistic settings with limited icons, I recommend Warclouds. If you what side the various types go with, you know what side that bogey is on.

But, you will learn to distinguish what type an aircraft is just by looking, it just takes practice.

polak5
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I suggest u try using icons on if your a beginner. Also u can try limited icons. After a while u will start to distinguish friend from foe, use the zoom key (i have mine maped on joystick) to identify better. good luck.

Scharnhorst1943
06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Another thing you can do is work on your aircraft identifacation. If you can ID a plane, you can ID which side it is on. Don't use the vehicle viewer, though. To REALLY get some good looks at all the planes, go to the quick mission, and check an AI flight with at least one plane, and go to edit it, and from there you can change the plane types and get a good look at all of them.

Also, don't play on too many realism settings to start out. I would recomend turning off torque and maybe wind/turmbulance until you really get the hang of manuvering (in dogfights) It sounds to me as if you have already mastered basic flight. DEFINITELY play with iconds to start out with. Once you can ID planes, you won't need the icons as much.

Dagnabit
06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Shoop,

This game has alot of really in depth stuff to learn but the game play is well worth the effort you put in now. I "borrowed" some really good links from one of our Mods here(Bearcat) to get you started, I also "borrowed" a link from A frequent contributor here that put together a collection of training missions specificly for beginners, but advanced enough that even some experienced pilots can learn from.

STURMOVIK ESSENTIALS: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959

ZEUSCATS TRAINING MISSIONS: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8911062445

Regards
Dag

Freelancer-1
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Two of the most important keys to rember when first starting out are the '[' and the ']' keys.

These two keys slow down and and speed up the game.

When you find yourself in a furball and need to ID a plane you can quickly knock the game down to 1/4 speed. It's also a good way to improve your accuracy as you can get a much better idea where (or if) your bullets are hitting.

Also, don't be shy to pause the game and assess the situation.

Soon enough you won't need either of these helpers as you will be IDing planes and shooting them down like an ace http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rnzoli
06-13-2007, 03:58 AM
The AI keeps shouting numbers at me but I honestly have no idea what any of it means.
That must be the relative position of the enemy planes. 12 o'clock is straight ahead of you, 6 is straight behind, 3 is on your right, 9 is on the left. The rest (e.g., 4 o'clock low) you can figure out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dragonfly1971
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Shoop_da_whoop:
To be frank, I'm overwhelmed when taking on any type of mission. Usually, I would start up and take off, then follow for some distance, then all hell breaks loose. When the enemies start attacking, I have no idea where they are attacking from and I can't distinguish my friend from foe. The AI keeps shouting numbers at me but I honestly have no idea what any of it means. I get lost and just fly around hoping I don't get shot.
... I would really appreciate some help.

Thats just what happened in real life more often than not! You see this game is so realistic .