PDA

View Full Version : IL2 seies graphics, what you see is not what you get.

Jumoschwanz
08-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Recently I heard a few things from online pilots who did not seem to grasp one concept with the IL2 series: T

This is that what you see is not necessarily what is actually there.

One guy on HL was complaining how a foe he shot up was flying around with this many holes and that missing etc.
The graphical damage depiction on any given plane is not always what the actual damage to the planes model is. You can spray a certain plane from many angles and ways and you will notice the bullet holes and damage is always the same. They have a graphical damage model as well as a flight damage model and they are not always going to be synchronized exactly.

Same thing with tracers and other phenomena, the graphics are the best to be had on a home pc, but what you see happen with your tracers is not always going to be what happens to the foes plane or where it will be damaged.

Add to this peculiarities for this or that patch, and online warping and you cannot take anything you see as fact.

I have seen planes that looked riddled still fly and fight fine, planes with missing control surfaces still have control, many, many times.
Tracers going right hitting planes on the left, etc.

There is an invisible world of binary digits underlying the graphical layer of this sim, they do a great job of working together, but are not perfect and are not one entity. Maybe thinking like this will help you understand and accept some of the crazy things you think you see and think are unfair sometimes.....

S!

Jumoschwanz

Monson74
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
True - but it's really not that bad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
08-30-2005, 02:59 PM
So true...sometimes I forget that people don't really understand and sometimes go hog wild when the technology starts to show through the illusion.

SlickStick
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm with Monstad about the frequency of this issue. There are "shenanigans", more often than not, involved when this type of situation occurs online. Packet loss, speed hack, warp, improper patching all contribute heavily to this phenomenon.

I actually laugh out loud when a plane online absorbs an inordinate amount of ammo and keeps flying, when offline, the same hits would have obliterated the plane about 12 or 13 (insert cannon here) hits earlier. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

You can see it during the firing while on a "certain person's" six, you can actually see when the plane inverts and starts to warp or slide sideways or other similar non-lag situation. Most often during that time, hits don't actually register back to the server.

I've actually gotten very good at seeing and knowing exactly when they are warping and I now wait until they come back from the space-time continuum. That's when I fire. Or I'll bring the "Warp Equalizer"....any plane with 30mm cannons. One or two shells bound to hit during the warp out and will cause damage...hehehehehehe. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jumoschwanz
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I got the idea for this thread when I saw someone on the Hyperlobby chat bar going on about how the damage model of a certain plane must be wrong because it was still flying with a certain part missing.
I thought, just because someting is missing graphically, does not mean it is actually missing as far as the flight model or damage model goes. That is why, what you see, is not what you have. See?

Jumoschwanz

LEXX_Luthor
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks Jurmo. I am a Fan of minimalist grafical DM. Grafical DM is given too much importance in flight sims now -- especially that you can't see most of it from the cockpit.

SlickStick
08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I got the idea for this thread when I saw someone on the Hyperlobby chat bar going on about how the damage model of a certain plane must be wrong because it was still flying with a certain part missing.
I thought, just because someting is missing graphically, does not mean it is actually missing as far as the flight model or damage model goes. That is why, what you see, is not what you have. See?

Jumoschwanz

Understood. Some are due to graphical vs. actual, like the Hurri IIc which can lose the wing tip and still fly. It looks like a shark took a bite, hehe. The La5FN has a rudder damage graphic similar.

Other times, planes ARE shot to h*e*l*l and there is something wrong with the fact that they are still in the air, when you watched every shell land, that actually caused the damage to be shown in their damage model, lol. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif