PDA

View Full Version : Raditator advice for Mustang

FatBoyHK
01-07-2005, 08:37 AM
When I start playing IL2, I tried to mess with Rad setting alot, close it when flying fast, open it when I am slow and need to accel immediately (of course, with full throttle), etcetc...

But not long ago, when I start playing online, someone suggest me that If I am on a Mustang, forget about rad and just leave it fully open. I did that for some weeks. I couldn't feel any difference, especially when I am on the offense.

But recently I started to pay more attention on my energy. In one case I BnZed together with my wingman, both on a Mustang, but he ended up above me after the zoom... I ask him and yes he had his rad closed.

Tonight I did a lot of test on QMB and I found that rad setting is actually important for a Mustang. Rad open, full throttle, at SL, It can make 565 km/h.... close the rad, speed jumped to 595 very quickly.... At 20000ft, the difference is as large as 40km/h... No wonder I can't outrun bf and fw on a supposingly faster mustang...

But the drawback is, Mustang's engine can stand for a max of 5 minutes of overheat only (How about a BF and FW? anyone can provide me with data?). I don't have much time for further testing, can anyone suggest the best throttle and rad setting for a "marathon" run? And will it vary with my altitute?

And If I have already overheated for 4 minutes, can I just change to this marathon setting without fear of damage? (i.e. the DM for the engine is based on how long an engine is overheated, or based on a "critical" temperature?)

Finally, a noob question, where can I found the engine tempertaure gauge in the cockpit? I found the coolant temp gauge, but seem it has nothing to do with engine temperature...

VF-29_Sandman
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
bss_cuda could probably tell u more about the stang. is 1 of his top 2 fav birds.

Cyrano
01-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Fatboy,

I always found that the best performance you can get out of a Mustang without overheating is with Rad closed with Pwr in the high 90's. Once you get your speed up you can push pwr up to 99% with Rad closed at most altitudes. With Rad open you increase your drag and slow yourself down even with Pwr settings above 100%. Use 100% or more only in emergency situation. All this was before ver 3.03 (haven't played this ver yet).

geetarman
01-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Now we know why you don't want to run a Mustang flat out all the time. Yeah, closed rads, 3000 rpm and 60" of MP will make it go fast, but for how long?

Generally I set my RPM's between 2500 - 3000 and my MP from 40" to 55". Rads stay partially open until I need a lot of speed, then I close them.

gates123
01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
At least you dont have to worry about your mechanic chewing your out for bringing back siezed pistons. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

FatBoyHK
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Tried messing with rad online, the result is very good, finally I can outrun everybody at 2500m - 3500m.... d@mn, I should figue it out from day one, instead of take someone's advice blindly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Stackhouse25th
01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
What I am interested in is radiator effects on turning in the Mustang.

Slow turns at SL in particular.

FatBoyHK
01-08-2005, 01:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stackhouse25th:
What I am interested in is radiator effects on turning in the Mustang.

Slow turns at SL in particular. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh? good rad setting can make you turn faster? I am quite interested.

but anyway, you won't do slow speed turn at SL on a Mustang, right?

Owlsphone
01-08-2005, 01:03 PM
When flying any other time except in combat, I use rad settings to full open. This minimizes heat buildup for when I engage.

The second that I enter combat I close the radiator to maximize performance.

F16_Neo
01-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Discussed here way way back was a supposed "jet effect" of the RL Mustang radiator that would cancel the effect of its drag. (Any thread of that alive?)
Guess that it's not modeled in the game.

Cajun76
01-08-2005, 03:55 PM
IIRC, it reduces drag, but only under certain circumstances.

Hot day at sea level? No effect.

Cold dry air at altitude, cruising? Should have an effect, at least in RL. Probalby keep it in auto, but I'm not positive.

Basically, the ram air is heated by the radiator. The expanding air leaves the rad tunnel and helps offset drag coef.

Every little bit helps at the edge of performance, even using individual exhaust stacks instead of collector rings on some a/c would give increases in top speed.

Bull_dog_
01-08-2005, 04:26 PM
There is great debate on the radiator thing...but I think the truth is that it offered less drag proportionally than other aircraft as opposed to other aircraft with radiators open...so if the Mustang loses 30km/hr with radiator open...another aircraft should lose say 60km/hr...I don't think that is modelled worth a darn.

Anyways, there is still a side of me that wonders why a heavier american aircraft tuned for high altituded beats a lighter british aircraft tuned for high altitude by some...15-20mph with the exact same engine and fuel? I know the Mustang had laminar wings, higher wingloading and the exhaust thing but there is a side of me that wonders on what is the exact truth of the exhaust question.

LStarosta
01-08-2005, 04:29 PM
It's called the Meredith Effect.

Originally, with a standard radiator, 40% of the thrust generated by the propeller was used up for engine cooling instead of propulsion.

F.W. Meredith created a system where heat released by the radiator created a 35% increase in thrust. This meant that the net drag of the radiator system was now reduced to 5% of the total thrust.

In other words, if you had 1000 lbs thrust from your propeller, You would only have 50 lbs of drag as opposed to 400 lbs from the cooling system. A pretty neat achievement.

FatBoyHK
01-08-2005, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bull_dog_:
Anyways, there is still a side of me that wonders why a heavier american aircraft tuned for high altituded beats a lighter british aircraft tuned for high altitude by some...15-20mph with the exact same engine and fuel? I know the Mustang had laminar wings, higher wingloading and the exhaust thing but there is a side of me that wonders on what is the exact truth of the exhaust question. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aerodynamic govern the top speed you can have, and IIRC Mustang and Me262 have the best aerodynamic profile in the whole war.

FatBoyHK
01-08-2005, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
It's called the Meredith Effect.

Originally, with a standard radiator, 40% of the thrust generated by the propeller was used up for engine cooling instead of propulsion.

F.W. Meredith created a system where heat released by the radiator created a 35% increase in thrust. This meant that the net drag of the radiator system was now reduced to 5% of the total thrust.

In other words, if you had 1000 lbs thrust from your propeller, You would only have 50 lbs of drag as opposed to 400 lbs from the cooling system. A pretty neat achievement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, keeping learning new thing here! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

FatBoyHK
01-08-2005, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F16_Neo:
Discussed here way way back was a supposed "jet effect" of the RL Mustang radiator that would cancel the effect of its drag. (Any thread of that alive?)
Guess that it's not modeled in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's too bad... started to understand why some people always say US planes are treated differently by Oleg http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Cajun76
01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
http://www.airspacemag.com/asm/mag/supp/jj99/Mustang.html

Near the bottom it even addresses Bull_Dog_'s curiosity about the difference between the Spit and Mustang. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif