PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Hurricane?

BrewsterPilot
03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
The last week or so I've been trying the Hurricane out a bit, and I wonder if you have any tips on how to be most successful in it.

I find that it packs quite a punch if you manage to get close to your enemy, the .303s are great for taking out engines/putting planes alight.

But as far as actual combat tactics go, I'm still quite unsuccessful. The only times I can shoot something down is if theres another friendly plane present, dividing the concentration of the enemy.

I realize that this isn't a plane equipped to take out for example FW-190Ds, but I really like it's relative stability, lack of gigantic recoil, good visibility etc.
So if you could post some tips on how to be more victorious in it, I'd really appreciate it!

Best regards,
-BrewsterPilot

EDIT: I'd also be interested in knowing what gun convergence settings you find work best in it and tips for engine management (best settings for cruise/fight/max speed).
Thanks!

VW-IceFire
03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Flying the Hurricane is a treat. Its a relatively stable aircraft, very predictable, does what its told almost all of the time, and yes the 12 .303 machine guns in the IIb make one heck of a sight. Armament varies of course.

Fighting in the Hurricane is another matter. The Hurricane doesn't have a very quick roll rate and even the response to a roll is quite slow. Turn is fair to excellent depending on who you are fighting.

If its against faster planes like the 109 then you have to use its turn advantage and try and keep up your speed and use the turning to gently cut the corners to get into gun range at the last second.

If against more manueverable planes you have to do your best to keep your altitude and dive in on the opposition like a boom and zoom fighter.

Above all...the best thing to know how to do in a Hurricane is deflection gunnery. Learn how to be accurate with that and use the Hurricanes excellent view over the nose to your advantage.

X32Wright
03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Fly high at least 1k to 2K meters above ur enemy and BNZ the heck out fo them. This is a very good energy plane and not a turner at all. Only turn when u need to and always follwing an enemy u know you CAN shoot down there and then! IF not don't follow go back UP!

Lt_Letum
03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Your engine runs best above 3k.
My personal tips:

Climb high and then BnZ the 109s.

If you are in trouble on the deck use quick bursts of hard turning and avoid prolonged turns if you can. Both flaps and trim really help in the turns.

Don't try to out climb any 109, but do feel free to get into very low speed fights with 109s if the opportunity is there. You are more stable than 109s below 130mph.

Convergence is important with those .303 guns. I use 130m and get in close before I fire.

jamesblonde1979
03-22-2009, 02:45 AM
If you are going to BnZ in the Hurri then remember that the responsiveness of it's control surfaces is abysmal at high speed.

Its rate of climb is also poor and it won't be long before you opponent has the upper hand.

Hit and run is your best bet. Either that or try to lure your opponent into a turning fight at 300 odd kph where you can really get the best out of a Hurri.

OMK_Hand
03-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Hi BrewsterPilot.

To (hopefully) help you in your quest, here is some mechanical info for the Hurricane Mk.II. It's taken from life, and works well (I think) in the game.

The numbers below are for: Rpm (percent) then boost (percent). The percentages may vary according to altitude. Use the relevant cockpit dials.

Climb: 2850 (90%) +9 (90%) good for 1 hr

Best climb speed: 121.6 knots IAS. Radiator half open.
(135 knots IAS with bombs)

Cruise: 2660 (75%) +7 (77%) Radiator closed.

Best at: 10,000’, and 18,000’

Combat: 2850 (90%) +9 (90%)
(That is, use the above as a base line for combat, using full power and emergency boost only when it is necessary.)

Land: Safe to lower gear and flaps below 104 knots IAS.

Final Approach: 79 knots IAS (Higher if heavier)

Switch blower to stage 2: At 14,000’ or Change when boost falls by 5 lbs sq/in

The Hurricane turns well, and the slow roll rate can be improved upon by applying full rudder in the direction of the roll (all things being equal).

Hope this is of use.

Xiolablu3
03-22-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm not fond of the Hurricane, its OK I guess, if you have cannon varients then definitely take that option.

Its instantaneous turn is good, but it loses energy very fast in sustained turns in my experience. Soon you are 'flicking' through lack of airspeed.

Lt_Letum
03-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Switch blower to stage 2: At 14,000’ or Change when boost falls by 5 lbs sq/in

You get a manifold boost from SC2 above 9000ft.

OMK_Hand
03-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Of course, you can change blower at any time you like, but you will only get the benefit at the appropriate height and power settings. The rest of the time you're at best reducing the efficiency of your engine, at worst maybe damaging something.

When climbing at 2850 rpm +9 boost, the initial throttle setting (90%) will only hold true for so long. Starting at about 9,000' on the Crimea map the throttle needs to be progressively opened in order to maintain +9 boost. Eventually the throttle will be wide open (100%) and after a time the boost as shown by the gauge will begin to decrease as you continue to climb.

During this time at full throttle the engine is delivering it's all. i.e. it's flat out delivering optimum performance.

(The Hurricane level-speed curve hits it's first peak at 10,000'.)

It doesn't blow up because it's in its comfort zone.

In order to continue the climb as the engine starts to struggle with the thinner air, etc., the throttle is reduced, and the blower switched to 2nd stage, i.e. (in this case) at 14,000' or when the boost has fallen by 5lbs. sq/inch, whichever comes first.

This puts the engine back on a footing similar to the one it experiences at sea level, except relevant to a higher band of altitudes.
So you’re back to 90% throttle equals +9 boost.
Eventually, the same thing will happen again as a second full throttle height is reached.

In level flight at 10,000', 3000 rpm +12 boost, there is visible difference in top speed between 1st and 2nd stage blower; 1st stage is faster.
It isn't much of a difference, but hopefully it shows the point.

Or something like that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif