PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane flap retraction

Adam906
03-21-2006, 11:17 PM
When I was flying an offline campaign in a Hurricane earlier I was on finals coming in high and long, dead-stick. I had about 90-92 indicated with flaps down. I'd had them down for a while and as I got closer to the runway, still with plenty of speed to play with, I decided to let the u'c down for a wheels down landing. Then about 15 metres short of the runway, probably 3 metres of the ground with no more than about 85 indicated the flaps retract unbidden.

Well I slumped short of the runway and riped one u'c leg of which flipped me on my back. Happy to say "I walked away" but my question is why did the flaps retract?

I know - now - not to try a dead stick with wheels down incase this happens again. Actually I know - now - not to get your engine hit by return fire from a He 111 in the first place so you don't have to dead stick!!

But for the purpose of investigation I decided to take a Hurri up again - much higher this time - and simulate the landing process I went through and every so often the flaps would retract. I noticed it happened after long controlled descents with gentle reduction in speed with a greater angle of attack, rather than a faster bleed of energy and flatter approaches

Any thoughts on this would be great...

Adam906
03-21-2006, 11:17 PM
When I was flying an offline campaign in a Hurricane earlier I was on finals coming in high and long, dead-stick. I had about 90-92 indicated with flaps down. I'd had them down for a while and as I got closer to the runway, still with plenty of speed to play with, I decided to let the u'c down for a wheels down landing. Then about 15 metres short of the runway, probably 3 metres of the ground with no more than about 85 indicated the flaps retract unbidden.

Well I slumped short of the runway and riped one u'c leg of which flipped me on my back. Happy to say "I walked away" but my question is why did the flaps retract?

I know - now - not to try a dead stick with wheels down incase this happens again. Actually I know - now - not to get your engine hit by return fire from a He 111 in the first place so you don't have to dead stick!!

But for the purpose of investigation I decided to take a Hurri up again - much higher this time - and simulate the landing process I went through and every so often the flaps would retract. I noticed it happened after long controlled descents with gentle reduction in speed with a greater angle of attack, rather than a faster bleed of energy and flatter approaches

Any thoughts on this would be great...

major_setback
03-22-2006, 03:36 AM
I had something similar happen a while back. Somehow I had unknowingly mapped flaps to mouse movement. I have no idea how it happened. They just kept lowering all the time so I'd have to raise them again. I couldn't work out why they were lowering though. Very confusing.

F0_Dark_P
03-22-2006, 04:08 AM
sounds like what happend to me with my tailwheel, it just locked spontaneous http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif