PDA

View Full Version : Blogs - Think it could be useful?

GreyFox5
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Trying out a Blog site for After Action Reports and general posting. Think it would fun for Squads.

Pics can be added from an external source like Photobucket.

Here is my site: http://ebloggy.com/gb/GreyFox

stubby
03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I've been doing this since the early days of the Il2. I add a twist however. I basically create a pilot (offline) persona and fly him until he dies. After each mission, I post up an AAR and keep tabs on his stats. When he dies, I start a new pilot and everthing starts over http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Creating pilot diaries and flying with the 'dead-is-dead' mentality in 'full-real' adds volumes to flying. It really does change the entire dynamic of offline flying. Flying online is fun but the only way to make the coops meaningful (at least for me) as to fly an online campaign applying the DID mentality to pilots. AARs again is critical in giving life to these missions and the virtual pilots that fly them.

GreyFox5
03-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Stubby - Do you have a Site or a Blog setup? Post an example if ya like - just wondering the style you use...

~S~ Fox

stubby
03-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Sure. Here's the forum link that I use.

http://combatsimgroup.com/smf/index.php?topic=41.0

prior to this a guy named Siggi had a really cool setup with his bud Jetlag. He had a gig going called 'SP DID' which stood for 'single player dead-is-dead'. It had two really cool features. One was a easy to use killboard. Pilot flew offline. Pilot would login and access the simple to use data entry portion of the killboard (ie input stuff like air kills, ground kills, and pilot status (dead or alive)). next the pilot would be greeted with a killboard which would reflect the status of all SPDID pilots that were participating. So, the initial view would only show 'alive' pilots and their corresponding stats like missions flown, air kills, ground kills etc.. If a pilot died, he would be removed from the 'alive' killboard but you could still query the backend db. A neat feature was that you could choose from a number of different nationalities and when you were ready to for a career, a pilot persona name was generated (linked to your real login name behind the scenes) with a grunt ranking. As you flew missions and lived and achieved glory, your guy would climb in rank and by viewing the killboard, you would see the medals he earned in addition to his stats. Finally, there was a forum setup by Siggi/Jetlag that allowed you to post your pilot's persona diary. Awesome stuff. It was a centralized location where you could read other pilots striving for the same thing as you: getting a pilot to survive over the course of a long career. It was perhaps one of the neatest setups around. It was idea for guys that don't really like the online scene for various reasons but shared the DID passion with a group of others. Maybe somebody will come along and start up a similar thing because it was awesome.

Texas LongHorn
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Stubby, I do the same exact thing. I make a fictional pilot and fly him as if he's real. If he dies he gets retired and I make a new pilot. I like to fly multiple pilots and campaigns so I tend to give them nicknames to keep track, IE Gunter "109" Hahn or Johnny "Wildcat" Smithson. Pretty simple solution really. The blog sounds like a cool idea, go with it buddy. All the best, LongHorn