PDA

View Full Version : water is scary

Matt_156
11-26-2007, 07:18 PM
it'd be cool if altiar could swim. it's a little ridiculous watching a world class assassin flounder and drown 2 feet from a pier =p
srsly though great game nice job ubi. keep workin on that sequel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

avsrule247
11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
It would be cool, but also pointless. The water would just be slower and doesn't help you at all. It is a feature that I don't miss because I see no benefit to it.

pillaysteven
11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
How do we know Assassins were trained to swim? The only reason we know how was because we were taught...

Matt_156
11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
true it's not really necessary but it'd be nice for realism. also swimming may be slow but it's faster than having to reload every time you take a bath =p

NeoshinobiX
11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
OP your forgetting that Altair was alive in 1191, doubt anyone knew how to swim lol.

pillaysteven
11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by NeoshinobiX:
OP your forgetting that Altair was alive in 1191, doubt anyone knew how to swim lol.

While I agree that Altair might not have known how to swim, water wasn't created in the last 8 millenia so I assume that a lot of people at the time did know how to swim.

Matt_156
11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
lol swimming isn't a recent development guys. i'd be quite surprised if someone of Altiar's obvious physical prowess couldn't tread water =p

nadiabird
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
It would be pretty undignified for a world-class assassin to use floaties I guess

Tela
11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by nadiabird:
It would be pretty undignified for a world-class assassin to use floaties I guess

There's a comic about that. ^^

I recall hearing somewhere, a developer(or someone like that) say that "water is Altair's kryptonite."

I'm guessing that means he either:
1- does not know how to swim.
2-has a fear of water.
3-both of the above.

DungeonRaider
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
The first time I landed in the water and promptly died, I had flashbacks to playing Mercenaries... where you could get hit by bullets and explosions yet couldn't swim.

I virtually yelled at my TV.. "How f'ing hard is it to bloody swim!!!"

dragdude1234
11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DungeonRaider:
The first time I landed in the water and promptly died, I had flashbacks to playing Mercenaries... where you could get hit by bullets and explosions yet couldn't swim.

I virtually yelled at my TV.. "How f'ing hard is it to bloody swim!!!" MY reaction was,"Maybe its a bug.Ill try it again!.% min later.....OH ****!!Not the bug again!10 min later...WTF you cant swim!!!"Yes it took me about 12 min to figure it out.

Araenor
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Or maybe he's just weighed down with all that chainmail, water logged robe and weapons.

That said, there he is doing dinos up the side of of a building. Wonder which is harder? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tela
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Araenor:
Or maybe he's just weighed down with all that chainmail, water logged robe and weapons.

That said, there he is doing dinos up the side of of a building. Wonder which is harder? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

He doesn't wear chainmail.

But methinks parkour is harder.

GodKronos1337
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Can eagles swim? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif jk.

but even if he doesn't wear any mail he is also wieghed down by 15 metal knives, a long sword,and hidden blade, and a short sword. also as Araenor pointed out robes wouldn't help. i mean i'm a fully trained competive swimer and i doubt i could to do that. (well maybe but i wouldn't go very fast lol)

DreamerM
11-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Nope, he wears leather and whatever sort of cloth his robe is made of, probably linen. Either way, it'd still weigh him down significantly should he really take the plunge.

And the Europeans at least viewed swimming as an unnatural, evil practice: that's where the whole "she floats, BURN THE WITCH!" thing came from.

I don't know the historical details but there are plenty of reasons why the muslims of the Holy Land would disagree: for one it can be really damn hot there and water feels goood. Still, it's perfectly believable that the Assassins wouldn't teach him swimming. And even the most composed, fearless Assassin badass might panic and just flail if he genuinely has never learned how to swim at all, let alone with all of his gear. Altair's a sky beast.

Tela
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by DreamerM:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Nope, he wears leather and whatever sort of cloth his robe is made of, probably linen. Either way, it'd still weigh him down significantly should he really take the plunge.

And the Europeans at least viewed swimming as an unnatural, evil practice: that's where the whole "she floats, BURN THE WITCH!" thing came from.

I don't know the historical details but there are plenty of reasons why the muslims of the Holy Land would disagree: for one it can be really damn hot there and water feels goood. Still, it's perfectly believable that the Assassins wouldn't teach him swimming. And even the most composed, fearless Assassin badass might panic and just flail if he genuinely has never learned how to swim at all, let alone with all of his gear. Altair's a sky beast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you said makes sense, and I read all of it; but, after the "she floats, BURN THE WITCH!" part...I couldn't quite concentrate...had monty python going through my head..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

"If she weighs the same...as a duck..then...she's made of wood!"

"And there fore...?"

"........A WITCH!!"
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

gaz2785
11-27-2007, 02:53 AM
I think it makes sense in the game for you to die when you fall in water.

1) Don't know whether you've ever tried it, but swimming or even treading water with boots, a cape, clothes, hidden blade, climbing gloves, a sword, a short sword and 15 throwing knives would be somewhat tough.

2) Even if you did manage to swim to safety you'd be wet through and extremely conspicious. Climbing would probably also be risky because your clothes would all be much heavier and your hands and feet would be wet.

MiniAssasin
11-27-2007, 04:29 AM
id also like to point out that gymnastic skills strentgth and good stamina and a master in the techniques of parkour and a skilled swordsman

do not and i repeat do not mean you automatically know how to swim. its not a package deal. if he hasnt learnt how to swim it doesnt matter how amazing he is at everything else the minute he hits the water he will panik and sink like a sack of spuds

ScytheOfGrim
11-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Interesting...

People back then did know how to swim.

The Prophet (PBUH) once said:

"Teach your children how to swim, how to 'throw' (in reference to a bow and arrow, nowadays considered to be using a gun, and this is for reasons of self-defense) and how to ride horses (could be altered to the driving of vehicles, because nowadays horses are useless)"

* The brackets are not actual quotes, just explanations... lol

Onijin
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sure people knew how to swim back then. Don't know if Altir would know how. Pretty sure that swimming with 15 knives, leather, cloth, a sword, small blade, gauntlets... etc etc... most likely is possible at least for a little bit and also most likely extremely difficult depending on the weight and density of the metals used.

I say give Altir the ability to at least swim for 5 seconds and possibly make it to the pier he just missed. >=(

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Matt_156:
it'd be cool if altiar could swim. it's a little ridiculous watching a world class assassin flounder and drown 2 feet from a pier

Hardly anyone in the medieval world could swim. Judging from what I've read it just wasn't something people spent time doing. These days we have a lot more spare time and many of us live in communities that encourage swimming for reasons of safety. Neither of those things were the case in the 12th century. Plus, as others have said, he's carrying rather a lot of clothing and weapons - it's one thing to swim when you're wearing swimming gear - it's quite another to fall in the water fully clothed. Frederick Barbarossa died through drowning at about the time AC is set - probably his clothing, arms and armour played a part in his death.

Then there's the issue of the water itself. In the Middle Ages people avoided drinking or touching water because many rivers, especially in major towns, were filthy with excrement and disease. If you ever wanted a drink you'd drink alcohol because it was usually made by monks from clean water from a spring in the countryside away from the filth of cities and towns; if you wanted a bath you might go to a natural spring, but swimming was not really a desirable pastime in the 12th Century.

Fortapt
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
It had been cool if Altair could swim. It's so weird that one well trained assassin can't, and it makes me feel caught in a cell or something when limits like this exists. And I hate that. I think the game shold have been a little more free and not have fast memory for every little detail like in the beginning where it happens sometimes. I like to feel free in the games.

Tela
11-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Fortapt:
It had been cool if Altair could swim. It's so weird that one well trained assassin can't, and it makes me feel caught in a cell or something when limits like this exists. And I hate that. I think the game shold have been a little more free and not have fast memory for every little detail like in the beginning where it happens sometimes. I like to feel free in the games.

For some things, yes, the "fast forwarding to a more recent memory" is frustrating. But for some things (like Altair resting/sleeping) it does make sense. You can't watch him ALL the time.

Fortapt
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Tela:
But for some things (like Altair resting/sleeping) it does make sense. You can't watch him ALL the time.

Hehe, I totally agree.
To watch him sleep had been boring... ZZZzzzz....

Tela
11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tela:
But for some things (like Altair resting/sleeping) it does make sense. You can't watch him ALL the time.

Hehe, I totally agree.
To watch him sleep had been boring... ZZZzzzz.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it'd give the artists out there time to draw him. As long as he stays still... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Given the fact that the vast majority of people in the 12th Century couldn't swim, why is it weird for a 12th Century Assassin not to be able to? Assassins are trained to kill, not to swim. Altair is not some 12th Century SAS guy with multiple talents and a university education that included water sports. He's just a very well-trained killer. Heck, he lives in a desert - he probably didn't even see open water until he was an adult.

Heck, in the 12th Century, and even up to the 19th Century, most SAILORS couldn't swim.

Fortapt
11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
Given the fact that the vast majority of people in the 12th Century couldn't swim, why is it weird for a 12th Century Assassin not to be able to? Assassins are trained to kill, not to swim. Altair is not some 12th Century SAS guy with multiple talents and a university education that included water sports. He's just a very well-trained killer. Heck, he lives in a desert - he probably didn't even see open water until he was an adult.

Heck, in the 12th Century most SAILORS couldn't swim.

Yeah, that makes sense, but isn't Altair the assassin from the future or controlled by him? He actually joked with the the doc with wondering of whom he was gonna kill today when he woke up in the beginning.

Tela
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:

Heck, in the 12th Century most SAILORS couldn't swim.

Yeah, that makes sense, but isn't Altair the assassin from the future or controlled by him? He actually joked with the the doc with wondering of whom he was gonna kill today when he woke up in the beginning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DESMOND is the "guy from the future". ALTAIR is Desmond's ANCESTOR, who's memories Desmond...watches? using the Animus.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that makes sense, but isn't Altair the assassin from the future or controlled by him?

No. I guess that's a common misconception. Altair is a 12th Century Assassin. Desmond is a bartender in 2012 whose ancestor was Altair. Desmond is able to access Altair's memories (which are stored in Desmond's genetic code) using the Animus. He doesn't control the memory though - he just gets in a level of synch with it. If the synch level is high the memory is correct but if it's low he's in danger of losing the correct memory.

So as a player you're simply attempting to retain synch with the memory. The true memory takes Altair through to the final assassination and that's what the game is all about - staying in synch and thus getting the 'correct' memories.

The Animus allows a certain amount of freedom if there's a memory similar to what you choose to do in the game. So you can choose what street to walk down if Altair ever walked down that street. The Animus allows you to retain synch even though the actual progression of the memory may not have been precisely what Altair did on the specific date that the main action in the memory takes place.

Fortapt
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
DESMOND is the "guy from the future". ALTAIR is Desmond's ANCESTOR, who's memories Desmond...watches? using the Animus.

Why was Desmond joking about who he was gonna kill then?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Why was Desmond joking about who he was gonna kill then?

It was just a joke. Desmond never kills anyone while he's in the Animus. He just accesses Altair's memory of killing someone.

Fortapt
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
It was just a joke. Desmond never kills anyone while he's in the Animus. He just accesses Altair's memory of killing someone.

A little bit hard to understand when Altair keeps dying when I controll him =P Hehehe.

Onijin
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
It's not shockingly hard to believe that Altir can't swim. Would it be hard to believe that he could (if Ubi decided so)?

I suppose the point people are making is that swimming is irrelevant in the game and completely realistic that he can't. Personally, as with others, i think even though he couldn't, it would be nice if he could at least not drown a feet from shore. Having him able to swim would still keep the game realistic (and less frustrating).

Since non of us really lived back then, our hypothetical analysis can only push us towards a probability of able'd swimmers and drowners. One more likely than the other, but neither any less unbelievable.

Matt_156
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
i can picture al mualim talking to altiar after years of arduous training:
well, my pupil, you can kill a man unseen with a flick of your wrist. you can cut your way through armies of guards without breaking a sweat. you can run straight up walls and fly like a spider monkey across the rooftops. you can defy the laws of gravity to escape a city wide manhunt! just make absolutely sure that you never fall in the water, cause then you're screwed. can't help you with that one, buddy.

Lxndr77
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Is it really that hard to avoid water? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Tela
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lxndr77:
Is it really that hard to avoid water? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

In Acre, yes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Lxndr77
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lxndr77:

In Acre, yes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I'll give you that one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

NorthernAvengeR
11-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Sometimes you grab ledges so low that half of you is touching the water so i doubt water is his kryptonite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but yeah, he probably can't swim.

wepeel
11-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Whether or not it's realistic for Altair to be able to swim isn't the point. It's a gameplay mechanic. There's not a whole lot of water in the game. If they implemented swimming, there would also be a reason to do so, like missions or terrain navigation that required swimming, or at the very least that you could hide underwater for awhile.

To implement swimming just so we don't drown when we fall into water would be atmospheric, but fill no real purpose. They might as well just remove the risks of falling into bodies of water, and we'd be safe.

As far as I can tell, it's the exact opposite. The water's there to create a hazard when navigating terrain, and technically, it could just as well be spiked pits or crevasses instead, but that might seem out of place at times.

But yeah, sure, I wouldn't mind seeing swimming in the game, even if it just meant swimming around small trenches and rivers for fun. However, this is more of a fluff thing, and I wouldn't want to see it ingame at the cost of something more critical being left out.

Faylinks
11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by NeoshinobiX:

how the **** do you not know how to swim????
DOGS CAN SWIM
A MOTHER FING ELEPHANT CAN SWIM!!!!!

Thumper1980
11-28-2007, 02:32 AM

Then there's the issue of the water itself. In the Middle Ages people avoided drinking or touching water because many rivers, especially in major towns, were filthy with excrement and disease. If you ever wanted a drink you'd drink alcohol because it was usually made by monks from clean water from a spring in the countryside away from the filth of cities and towns; if you wanted a bath you might go to a natural spring, but swimming was not really a desirable pastime in the 12th Century.

Mmmm, typhoid

silverf4i2002
12-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Altair should be able to swim....any high class socialite of that day would have been taught. As an assasain and educated swimming would fall into his education. It is totally rediculous that if you are not lined up perfectly for a jump Altair drowns!!!!!

Pr0metheus 1962
12-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Firstly, where's your evidence that Altair is a high-class socialite? Secondly, what evidence do you have that the Hashshashin - people who lived in a desert - taught swimming? Thirdly, if Altair can't swim, it's by no means ridiculous that a fall into deep water would kill him.

luke100
12-16-2007, 01:44 PM
'water is altairs cryptonine'

in english:

''we couldn't be arsed making swimming animations even though we head four years''

Tela
12-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by luke100:
'water is altairs cryptonine'

in english:

''we couldn't be arsed making swimming animations even though we head four years''

First of all: Kryptonite. With a 'K'.

Second of all: They originally had swimming in the game. They took it out because, while swimming, Altair was invincible. This was not realistic, hm? And not alot or people knew how to swim back then, and in that area.

luke100
12-16-2007, 01:52 PM
1. its not a word in my everyday language

2. not exactly, they could just fire arrows at him

no games ever goona get 100% realism

uncharted, drakes fortune has tried, and failed

luke100
12-16-2007, 01:52 PM
also if he is some crazy assassin
he should be taught to swim duh

AsskickQT
12-16-2007, 01:54 PM
theyre desert people why would they teach him to swim omfg

Tela
12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by luke100:

2. not exactly, they could just fire arrows at him

Not what I meant. They had swimming in the game, but something was wrong with damage. Altair took no damage while swimming. In order to fix this, they took swimming out.

MoveMeant
12-17-2007, 09:13 AM

No, he only wears leather boots, If he did wear a leather armour beneath his robes he would look alot bigger(fat).

Frederick Barbarossa died through drowning at about the time AC is set - probably his clothing, arms and armour played a part in his death.

Yeah and maybe the fact that he was some 90 years old when he drowned.

TheAssassin-101
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
It would be pretty hard to swim with all the gear he has on...mabee he can swim but physically can't from all the swords and the weight would be to unbearable

MasterNeilson
12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by avsrule247:
It would be cool, but also pointless. The water would just be slower and doesn't help you at all. It is a feature that I don't miss because I see no benefit to it.

The benefit could be to dive under water for a period of time to lose attention from guards maybe?

MasterNeilson
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by TheAssassin-101:
It would be pretty hard to swim with all the gear he has on...mabee he can swim but physically can't from all the swords and the weight would be to unbearable

If this were the case, i think it would be a little hard for him to be doing parkour and freerunning, i'm not saying he should'nt be able to freerun but he should be a little slower if the weight was a problem, the only thing Altair is equiped with that may be heavy is his main sword, daggers are small and very light.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif Double post.

ac014a5520
12-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I think wepeel had a point when they said that the water being there created a hazard. I mean the main time Altair is around water is leading up Sibrand's assassination on the ship, so I think what the creators were trying to do was make the player use their imagination (or get full use of their controls..whatever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) when it came down to it.
realistically, given the option who would waste their time hopping from boat to boat to reach the ship if the option of swimming was possible?

spazzoo1025
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
also...does any1 here know how hard it is to program water and bodies in it to act the way you want, no less having various things like rocks and objects thrown into it? I do, and trust me, it's harder than...than getting your dog pregnant! (by a human) lol

the_assassin_07
12-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Not that's quite easy; my friend did it once. The outcome was pretty freaky...

maddog111
12-30-2007, 02:39 PM
People Please Listen..i know the whole story!

Altair couldnt swim because..when he was 10..he fell of a boat...he couldnt swim and was about to die..suddenly Al-Mualim Came(wearing Bikini) He Jumped on the water and rescued Altair But Water was in Altair Chest.. He Kinda Kissed Altair And Gave him air so the water would Go Out
From that day..Altair Was Sick afraid of water and..He Joined the assassins..

~~The End~~

maddog111
12-30-2007, 02:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif 100%

CrazyJufo
12-30-2007, 04:23 PM
i read here once that when he was little he fell into water and almost drowned and since then he has a fear of water.. that doesn't explain all the drowning gurads to tho.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif oh, yer wait, they wear heavy armor.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
or maybe it's just something that ubisoft overlooked, like that also all the guards know how to freerun.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif but they also jump off high buildings and die coz they overlooked that thing, and i like that part.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif
or the guards that time all just had sperman powers like altair but they were too stupid tu use them.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

CrazyJufo
12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by maddog111:
People Please Listen..i know the whole story!

Altair couldnt swim because..when he was 10..he fell of a boat...he couldnt swim and was about to die..suddenly Al-Mualim Came(wearing Bikini) He Jumped on the water and rescued Altair But Water was in Altair Chest.. He Kinda Kissed Altair And Gave him air so the water would Go Out
From that day..Altair Was Sick afraid of water and..He Joined the assassins..

~~The End~~
lmao http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

maddog111
12-31-2007, 06:47 AM
CrazyJufo i assure u that it is true 100%...i was kinda in the story..the one who pushed Altair to the water...was...ME..yes i say the truth..

wbbann
12-31-2007, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt_156:
it'd be cool if altiar could swim. it's a little ridiculous watching a world class assassin flounder and drown 2 feet from a pier

Hardly anyone in the medieval world could swim. Judging from what I've read it just wasn't something people spent time doing. These days we have a lot more spare time and many of us live in communities that encourage swimming for reasons of safety. Neither of those things were the case in the 12th century. Plus, as others have said, he's carrying rather a lot of clothing and weapons - it's one thing to swim when you're wearing swimming gear - it's quite another to fall in the water fully clothed. Frederick Barbarossa died through drowning at about the time AC is set - probably his clothing, arms and armour played a part in his death.

Then there's the issue of the water itself. In the Middle Ages people avoided drinking or touching water because many rivers, especially in major towns, were filthy with excrement and disease. If you ever wanted a drink you'd drink alcohol because it was usually made by monks from clean water from a spring in the countryside away from the filth of cities and towns; if you wanted a bath you might go to a natural spring, but swimming was not really a desirable pastime in the 12th Century. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in the medievil ages, people didn't even know about diseases, so your point doesn't make sense.

Wormetti
12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Maybe he can swim but since he's very agile, he never really fell in water and doing so is too inaccurate to remain in sync.

jcody
12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Well...that's sort of a good explaination.

But i don't think punching ******s and pulling the sword in and out of it's sheath really fast because it looks like altair is sawing something is accurate either. (yes, i do the saw thing all the time. it's cool.)

Doing the same with the short blade makes it look (and sound) like he's skinning his wrist.

Now I'm pointlessly rambling, sorry..carry on..

the_assassin_07
12-31-2007, 11:42 AM
in the medievil ages, people didn't even know about diseases, so your point doesn't make sense.
Lol they did know about diseases..

wbbann
12-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by the_assassin_07:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">in the medievil ages, people didn't even know about diseases, so your point doesn't make sense.
Lol they did know about diseases.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they knew some things, like the black plaque. but they didn't know how to get diseases, other than rats etc. they didn't know cleaniness, dirty food, water etc was the reason to get diseases.

AldirFTW
12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
They opened your skull, took out your brain and rubbed it with salt.

If you had a headache http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

maddog111
12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
n00bs the bikini story is true i say SO TRUE!!!

the_assassin_07
12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
they knew some things, like the black plaque. but they didn't know how to get diseases, other than rats etc. they didn't know cleaniness, dirty food, water etc was the reason to get diseases.
Yeah true.

Skaevola
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, maybe it's a glitch that only happens in my game... but not only can Altair not swim, he really freaks out over the water; He misses a lot of jumps and won't turn when I tell him to. For the sake of not admitting a glitch when it's right in front of my face, I'm voting that he's probably afraid of water.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by wbbann:

LOL! People in the medieval world didn't know about diseases? How did you figure that one out? So are you saying they believed the Bubonic Plague was a figment of their imagination?

People in the Medieval world knew about diseases. What they didn't know about was bacteria and viruses, but they certainly knew to avoid dirty and smelly water. Sewage systems were in use in the Indus Valley Civilization 2000 years BC, so I think people living 3000 years later knew about the dangers of dirty water.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 01:45 PM

Yes they did! It's a common misconception that they didn't know about dirty water being linked to disease. What they didn't know was that water that appeared clean might carry disease.

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 05:59 AM
How do you know all this stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif.

CrazyJufo
01-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by maddog111:
CrazyJufo i assure u that it is true 100%...i was kinda in the story..the one who pushed Altair to the water...was...ME..yes i say the truth..

rofl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Altair should be able to swim. It's not like I want to go swimming in the water every five minutes but I don't expect to drown and die every time I fall in water too; realistic or not. Well to be fair I've only fallen in a couple of times but it's still annoying.

blakus939
01-01-2008, 07:07 AM
he doesnt swim because hardly anyone back in medieval times did! alot of people werent near water and just didnt ever learn to swim, hence falling in the water WOULD be fatal.

wbbann
01-01-2008, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wbbann:

Yes they did! It's a common misconception that they didn't know about dirty water being linked to disease. What they didn't know was that water that appeared clean might carry disease. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i knew you irl, i would bet money on you to see how wrong you are. i'd give you that, tey knew ABOUT diseases, but they didn't know water gave diseases or how to get diseases.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-01-2008, 10:27 AM
if i knew you irl, i would bet money on you to see how wrong you are. i'd give you that, tey knew ABOUT diseases, but they didn't know water gave diseases or how to get diseases.

If I knew you in real life I'd go to your school and give your English teachers a piece of my mind.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-01-2008, 10:28 AM

If I knew you in real life I'd go to your school and give your English teachers, your History teachers and your Biology teachers a piece of my mind.

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Dude do you know you're not supposed to double post?

AhoyTheFatMan
01-01-2008, 01:43 PM
i do parkour and free runnin nd i wus flpn in the park wer i liv by the fountain, and ifell in lol, i found it hardto wlk rnd wiv my bag on my k and wet clothes all day tricking and vaulting various walls so i doubt it wudb ezy 4 altair with mor weight on him than i did to remain active and concealed.

i think wer luky altair dusnt return to the bureau wener he falls in the water!

AhoyTheFatMan
01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, maybe it's a glitch that only happens in my game... but not only can Altair not swim, he really freaks out over the water; He misses a lot of jumps and won't turn when I tell him to. For the sake of not admitting a glitch when it's right in front of my face, I'm voting that he's probably afraid of water.

yhts true, like wen u hav 2 kl dat bloke wiv the bow and arrow... unless u go along the bridge. unlike me :P

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I went along the bridge; when I tried to jump over it I kept falling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif.

AhoyTheFatMan
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM

on sum modern warfare games ur soldier cant swim thow! abt the only water friendly game i no of is san andreas.

^^^^^^^^^this dusnt discriminate against water. respect our water!

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah.. um.. ok.

*leaves*

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

jcody
01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by AhoyTheFatMan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, maybe it's a glitch that only happens in my game... but not only can Altair not swim, he really freaks out over the water; He misses a lot of jumps and won't turn when I tell him to. For the sake of not admitting a glitch when it's right in front of my face, I'm voting that he's probably afraid of water.

yhts true, like wen u hav 2 kl dat bloke wiv the bow and arrow... unless u go along the bridge. unlike me :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sye! le3ik win u *** 0tu teh legr n u rn oerb teht bloke liek t0talyl mang!

spazzoo1025
01-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jcody:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AhoyTheFatMan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, maybe it's a glitch that only happens in my game... but not only can Altair not swim, he really freaks out over the water; He misses a lot of jumps and won't turn when I tell him to. For the sake of not admitting a glitch when it's right in front of my face, I'm voting that he's probably afraid of water.

yhts true, like wen u hav 2 kl dat bloke wiv the bow and arrow... unless u go along the bridge. unlike me :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sye! le3ik win u *** 0tu teh legr n u rn oerb teht bloke liek t0talyl mang! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was on purpose right?

wbbann
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wbbann:

If I knew you in real life I'd go to your school and give your English teachers, your History teachers and your Biology teachers a piece of my mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe if that was in school that'd be a possibility.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by the_assassin_07:

What are you, the anal forum police?

Pr0metheus 1962
01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
If I knew you in real life I'd go to your school and give your English teachers, your History teachers and your Biology teachers a piece of my mind.

maybe if that was in school that'd be a possibility. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never assumed you were still in school. I just said your teachers need a stiff talking to - doubly so since they let you out of school without even teaching you how to use capital letters. On a related subject, I'd like to meet the ****** who would give a job to a guy who can't write a coherent sentence. Of course if you're self-employed that would explain it

wbbann
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM

maybe if that was in school that'd be a possibility. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never assumed you were still in school. I just said your teachers need a stiff talking to - doubly so since they let you out of school without even teaching you how to use capital letters. On a related subject, I'd like to meet the ****** who would give a job to a guy who can't write a coherent sentence. Of course if you're self-employed that would explain it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can write in good english if i choose to (a+ ftw). btw, why do you need good english skills for 60% of the jobs in the world?

employer: so what skills have you got?
beeryus: erm, i can write a coherant sentence.
employeR: AWESOME! welcome, you're hired.

yeah, cheers.

Kid_Phazon
01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_assassin_07:

What are you, the anal forum police? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Eww...

blueman01
01-01-2008, 07:37 PM
funniest thing i was running from guards and i was on the docks in damascus and a drunk begger pushed me in the water.
once i was running from a begger again and i ran up a building and she threw rocks at me and i fell on a guard.

dang beggers cause trouble. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

the_assassin_07
01-02-2008, 05:56 AM
What are you, the anal forum police?
No it's just that you do it with every post.

BTOG46
01-02-2008, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_assassin_07:

What are you, the anal forum police? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He's right though, you do tend to answer other posts with a succession of posts instead of doing it all in one post, and you've been around long enough to know better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
01-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by BTOG46:
He's right though, you do tend to answer other posts with a succession of posts instead of doing it all in one post, and you've been around long enough to know better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well technically it's not okay to post off-topic either, but you two don't seem to mind breaking that guideline.

Look, if you have a problem with how I post, call a moderator. I must admit I don't think about how I post all that much. I post in response to others when I see messages on my email. Usually I don't even know what thread they're going to. I'm sorry but I'm not going to go onto the forums and check every thread in case I've accidentally double posted.

The double-posting rule is there to stop spam, not to restrict legitimate posts or stifle debate, no matter how much that would suit your purposes. What you're doing here is trying to shut me up because you don't particularly like what I have to say. That's too bad but I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over it.

Now if you have anything on-topic to add to the discussion, please go ahead.

BTOG46
01-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I have no problem at all with your views and agree with most of them, but you do need to stop acting as if people are attacking you, we aren't trying to shut you up, sorry if that upsets your view of us, also, there is no need to use personal abuse to the other members in the way you occasionally do.

the_assassin_07
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
The double-posting rule is there to stop spam, not to restrict legitimate posts or stifle debate, no matter how much that would suit your purposes. What you're doing here is trying to shut me up because you don't particularly like what I have to say. That's too bad but I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over it.
Huh? I don't care about what you're saying it's just it's against the rules. It's not that hard to edit your posts you know. The rest.. well BTOG covered it.

revoltingbunny
01-02-2008, 01:54 PM
beeryus...oh yes you are going to lose!!...>_> no one likes what you say... not even bunnys on revolt.... DOWN WITH MANKIND!!!

jcody
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
All of Beeyrus's posts are very intellegent, thought out, and they are an asset to this board. I'd hate to see a backseat mod drive him away, no offense to anyone.

ZmeySPB
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
what is a backseat mod?

a mod that like, doesn't drive? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

eh? like, coz backseat...

hey, I made joke...

guys...

wbbann
01-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by jcody:
All of Beeyrus's posts are very intellegent, thought out, and they are an asset to this board. I'd hate to see a backseat mod drive him away, no offense to anyone.

what because he types in microsoft word, then when everything looks good, copy and paste it on the forums?

sure he may look intelligent, but the point most people are making is, hes a typical *******, and very rude to everyone who doesn't agree with his own views. i wonder if he would act like that irl to somebody...

jcody
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I am not talking about spelling and grammar buddy...i'm talking about the way he expresses his views/opinions. I haven't seen him come off as rude either.

revoltingbunny
01-03-2008, 03:04 AM
oh beeryus, you're just like almualim, looks smart, sounds smart but at the end... he's stupid consumed by stupidity and beaten/silenced. xD

Pr0metheus 1962
01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Hmm. I usually find that people who call others stupid are not all that bright (especially when pretty much all they do is call other people stupid), so it's a fair bet that the ones they call stupid are a lot brighter than they are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

revoltingbunny
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
well thank's for the compliment, long story short you're calling ME stupid... so i'm bright... oh thanks for that wonderful compliment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

spazzoo1025
08-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Why did you bring this up? Did you wait til it reached the final circle of hell to resurrect a mute point?

Pr0metheus 1962
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Faylinks wrote:
"how the **** do you not know how to swim????
DOGS CAN SWIM
A MOTHER FING ELEPHANT CAN SWIM!!!!! "

Once again (what is this, the fifth time): in 1191 people didn't go near water. Heck, they didn't even drink it if they could avoid it. In 1191 people believed that water caused all sorts of diseases - they avoided it if at all possible. In such an environment people did not learn to swim - not even trained assassins. As late as the 18th century most SAILORS couldn't swim - and these are people who work on the water 99% of the time, and who have a vested interest in swimming, yet they didn't swim.

If you think Altair should swim you're making the mistake of viewing him with a lot of assumptions that are correct for the 21st century, but not the 12th.

spazzoo1025
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
also, you realise that you can just edit your previous post right?

caswallawn_2k7
08-31-2008, 06:47 PM
also you realy should read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_swimming)

Pr0metheus 1962
08-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Dammit! Why am I getting emails of posts that are 9 months old? Is the forum software actively trying to incite necroposting?

BTOG46
08-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Dammit! Why am I getting emails of posts that are 9 months old? Is the forum software actively trying to incite necroposting?

Thank the gods for that, I was beginning to think it was just my emails that had gone crazy, and it wasn't till I noticed a couple that were posts from someone banned long ago, I might have replied like you did. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

caswallawn_2k7
08-31-2008, 07:27 PM
lol thats why you dont use email thingies on the forum more so since the forum is moody at the best of times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

djfoids
09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
i like revbu's sig lol makes me luagh