PDA

View Full Version : Level-Bombing in B-25s

GratedLeeman
07-18-2011, 01:31 AM
When I'm using a B-25 for level bombing, the Automatic Bombsight releases the bombs as soon as it's engaged, rather than when it's in a position to hit the target.
No other aircraft show this behaviour when level bombing.
Is there something special about the B-25's bombsight?

danjama
07-18-2011, 05:10 AM
You need to set controls for:

Increase/Decrease bombsight altitutde
Increase/Decrease bombsight velocity
Increase/Decrease distance

Line up with your target a good distance away, at least five minutes flying time, then trim the aircraft for level flight. Then set level stabaliser on.

Then, switch to the bombardiers position, and before engaging automatic, input your altitude (remember to take into account any elevation of your target - if you're bombing a V1 installation from 20,000ft, and it's on a hill 500ft up, set altitude at 19,5000ft), then input your TAS (NOT IAS which is shown on your info tab). Find your TAS in the gauges to the left of where the bombardier sits. It's normally the higher dial on the altitude gauge there. Then, increase your bombsight distance until the crosshair is on the target way ahead.

When those are set correctly, make sure your aircraft is not gaining/losing speed, or altitude. It should be rock steady. Then engage automatic bombsight.

You can disengage automatic at any time to make adjustments.

Generally, if the crosshair is staying on your target in one place, and not drifting in front or behind it, then you will hit the target. If it's drifting, increase/decrease the velocity setting until the crosshair doesn't drift at all from your target.

I think i've covered everything, although i'm bound to have forgotten something.

GratedLeeman
07-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Usually my level bombing is quite good.
But the problem is that I'm going through all the steps you mentioned, but as soon as I engage the Automatic bombsight the payload is released, no matter how far away from the target I am.
This only happens in the B-25.
The He-111 and other bombers are not affected.

Luno13
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
What matters is the bombsight angle. If you're looking at the target at an angle that's lower than the computed angle for a bomb drop, then your bombs will drop the instant you toggle "bombsight automation".

What version of the game are you running?

GratedLeeman
07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm patched up to 4.10.1, with no mods.

Tried a run with target acquired at extreme range. Would have been pretty happy with a hit anywhere on the airbase, instead bombed some suburbs a few miles short of the target...
Sight was set for correct altitude and using TAS.

GratedLeeman
07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Well I feel a fool. When trying out your suggestion about the angle of the sight, I noticed it was giving height in feet, not metres. Think I know where I was going wrong!
I'll give using the correct height a shot and see how I do!

danjama
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Haha, that would cause a problem!

GratedLeeman
07-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I am now a master of level bombing. Soon I shall return to HL and terrorise target areas and enemy airfields alike!

Worf101
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by GratedLeeman:
Well I feel a fool. When trying out your suggestion about the angle of the sight, I noticed it was giving height in feet, not metres. Think I know where I was going wrong!
I'll give using the correct height a shot and see how I do! Brother, you ain't the first and you WON'T be the last.

Welcome to the club bub...

Worf

GratedLeeman
07-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Probably not, but I think I'll keep batting for Jerry on the level-bomber front for the time being http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

danjama
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Hmmm, i found an issue of my own.

Is it me, or is the Heinkel equipped with a Norden post-4.10.1?

I'm sure it never had a Norden before, but maybe i'm thinking of a Pe2 or something.

GratedLeeman
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
Hmmm, i found an issue of my own.

Is it me, or is the Heinkel equipped with a Norden post-4.10.1?

I'm sure it never had a Norden before, but maybe i'm thinking of a Pe2 or something.

I seem to have a Norden sight too.
And you're right, it was different before, not sure when it was changed though.