PDA

View Full Version : Engine DM questions - MC series vs most others

bigbossmalone
09-26-2007, 07:19 AM
I've recently been flying a few of the MC200/205 series planes, which I've sorely neglected - they have beaut pits!
Anyway, I've noticed that in most cases if I take an engine hit, the motor dies, but the prop keeps spinning. In most other planes I've flown, normally the prop stops turning with engine damage. ie: Engine:Inoperable message.
Anyone know why this doesn't happen to the Italian planes? Is it because of some historical difference in design, or just a modelling inaccuracy?
Anyone?

msalama
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a bug to me.

flox
09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
When that happens, are you able to restart the engine? This sometimes happens in other planes (the P-51 comes to mind): after a hit the engine quits but there is no "engine: inoperable" message. The prop spins freely for a few seconds before coming to rest. However the engine isn't totally hosed and can be re-started (might take a couple of attempts).

bigbossmalone
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
hi flox - I've experienced that type of failure in other planes; where the engine takes a 'knock' and you can normally restart after a short time. In the case with the MC205 in this case, there is no Engine:Inoperable message, but the motor is dead. I was at roughly 3000m in each instance, and even gliding slowly for over 2 minutes, could not restart the engine.
The normal indication for this is that you still get the Engine:Starting /Stopping message, which in these cases I don't. That would indicate a dead engine normally, so I assume its dead. The prop, however, is still turning at full speed, with no engine sound or any other activity. As is the norm for this kind of case with me, I didn't make a track. So, as soon as I get back to my own PC, I'll make a track and post it. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen again, as it literally happened 3 times in a row.

FoolTrottel
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Been flying a Dgen MC200/202 Stalingrad campaign, completed 46 missions, haven't seen this happen at all, not once! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

bigbossmalone
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Okay, FT, give me about 24 hours and I'll post a track. Of course, if I find it's something I've missed, I'll post back with that info, too.
As I said, I don't fly the MC's that often...I am flying the MC205, though, the later model, have you flown that one in your campaign?

VW-IceFire
09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Hrrmmm there are many planes like that or somewhat similar to that. FW190s, Yaks, but I think the most similar is the Ki-61 and Ki-100...they tend to loose their engine power without the engine actually completely stopping on the account of battle damage. There are actually allot of similarities battle damage wise between the Ki-61/Ki-100 and the MC.202/205.

bigbossmalone
09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Okay, I admit to not flying Ki's that much either, and when I do, it's normally in a dogfight situation. The scenario I've been playing out with the MC205 is a QMB mission, in a solitary MC, attacking a few B-24 bombers. The chances of taking engine damage in this scenario is probably much higher than the dogfight scenario. I'll give it a go with the Ki as well.
So, what we're looking at here is a 'realistic' DM as opposed to some kind of error on behalf of Oleg and Co?

Lurch1962
09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Just shooting in the dark here... is it possible that for these planes the prop disengages and simply windmills???

bigbossmalone
09-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Possibly, lurch,
I guess that's kinda what my question is here: is there something different about these models than the others, in the way they're designed or what?

ImMoreBetter
09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
The MC205 does have prop-feather.

Next time you encounter this, check and see happens when you press that.

I was flying in an F4U today and lost engine power without losing it completely. I couldn't go over 210kph, but it was still running.

bigbossmalone
09-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Right, after going back to the same scenario, and trying to repeat what happened to make a track, after a good dozen attempts - each time since, I've either been 'flamed' or killed outright! Testament to the 'random' factor in iL2? Anyway, will keep plugging away to see if it happens again, track forthcoming.....

Pyrres
09-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Hurricanes lose the power very easily, you can barely keep airborne but that is it. If you ask me I would say it is just an experiment with the dm, for new kind of damage.