PDA

View Full Version : On line view advantage



Bull-Dog.
02-04-2004, 05:56 AM
whenever I fly on line I always avoid full real servers because I spend to much time looking for the action. My usual preferance is to go for a server that allows external views, where for all my Off-Line practice i never seem to be able to get much success.
Any way, this morning I went onto a server I have never used before for 30 mins and had more success than i normally have in a week. When I checked the servers difficulty settings I noticed that It had "cockpit locked" set. Could It be that I have been disadvantaged all this time because everyone flys out of cockpit where I do not.
I will now only fly servers that have "cockpit locked" or Full Real, rather than go to this arcade game view.

What do you think, Did I just have a good day, time will tell.


Bull-Dog.

Bull-Dog.
02-04-2004, 05:56 AM
whenever I fly on line I always avoid full real servers because I spend to much time looking for the action. My usual preferance is to go for a server that allows external views, where for all my Off-Line practice i never seem to be able to get much success.
Any way, this morning I went onto a server I have never used before for 30 mins and had more success than i normally have in a week. When I checked the servers difficulty settings I noticed that It had "cockpit locked" set. Could It be that I have been disadvantaged all this time because everyone flys out of cockpit where I do not.
I will now only fly servers that have "cockpit locked" or Full Real, rather than go to this arcade game view.

What do you think, Did I just have a good day, time will tell.


Bull-Dog.

B16Enk
02-04-2004, 06:01 AM
Sounds like, as you suggested, you put yourself at a disadvantage by flying in 'pit.

Whilst everyone else had a nice arrow pointing to where you were!

oFZo
02-04-2004, 07:45 AM
If you want to learn fast, stay in the pit. You can always go back to 'wonder woman view' if that's what you like, but in-pit will be more difficult and therefore teach you more.

-oFZo
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.bryant3/ETSigHolland.gif
Founding member and Offical Keeper of The Herbs of the Eurotrolls.

"The Lord is coming. Look busy."

georgeo76
02-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Your absolutely right. The no-pit view is a huge advantage for your opponents if you prefer stay in-pit. I never fly no-pit servers for this very reason


http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/images/buck2.gif
"I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up. "
Fiend's Wings (http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend)

JG26Red
02-04-2004, 10:16 AM
even thou i fly in servers with externals and wonder view, iam always in the pit... probably explains my bad shooting and not knowing a bad guy is right next to me lol... i guess thats why i get shot down alot even in them super view servers... with that said, i do use the external views to look around and see where everyone is... i dont think wonder woman is that legit anyways, as when i do use it, i find my bullets dont go where they should, seems off a bit or something...

XyZspineZyX
02-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Stick to your guns. NEVER fly WonderWoman view. It's a horrible crutch. Friends don't let friends wimp out and fly WonderWoman style.

In addition to better ability to acquire distant targets (due to wings and fuselage and noses just "not being there"), there is another, even deadlier unrealistic advantage caused by WW view: the "under the nose" vision that allows for highly unrealistic accuracy in high angle off shooting and HOs.

Where the "in-pit" player has to sometimes "guess" and fire at a plane under his nose, or he can avoid a HO by staying under the enemy's nose, the WonderWoman pilot is oblivious to these effects, and becomes a seeming markswoman in shooting.

This setting is one that is almost always a "dealbreaker" for me. I'll maybe fly with a server that allows externals...but WonderWoman? No WAY.

http://www.naysayers.com/9jg52/wonderwoman.gif

masamainio
02-04-2004, 11:14 AM
This is what Finnish ace Hans Wind (75 aerial victories) said about deflection shooting:

"When shooting from dead six, it is best to get about 20 meters from the enemy, where the prop-wash that was shaking your plane earlier settles down. It is like getting from "heavy seas" to a calm "backwater". It is very nice to shoot from the rear sides, and from there you most often shoot the enemy down, too. You should shoot in front of the armour into the cockpit and engine. The lead is also so small that it'll give you no trouble at all.

It is hard to shoot from the enemy's high six. This is because the target vanishes below your nose when you take the necessary lead. You shouldn't use this method against other fighters.

From the enemy's low six you can easily get to a shooting position, so that he'll never see you coming. Most planes are also very vulnerable from below, so that the first burst usually does what is necessary. When attacking from below, you should have enough speed, so that you don't get into trouble afterwards. Use a head-on solution only if you are forced into it."


Complete article at

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-CaptainWindsAirCombatTacticsLecture.html

Cold_Gambler
02-04-2004, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:I'll maybe fly with a server that allows externals...but WonderWoman? No WAY.

http://www.naysayers.com/9jg52/wonderwoman.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL love the pic http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I'm not disagreeing with you but There are good reasons to play with Wonderwoman view though:
1) better frame rates with cockpit off (important to ppl with lower spec machines)
2) when you just want to dogfight and not play tactically (just want to blow off steam and see things go BOOM)
3) when, as RBJ would say, you want to "feel the freedom like how a dog puts his head out a car window" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But to get back to the topic- if you were playing 'pit on in a 'pit off server then you were definitely playing at a disadvantage.
generally I prefer 'pit on but icons and padlock on available.

Old_Canuck
02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
I was hosting for a noob awhile back and he wanted unlimited ammo and open pit. After a few seconds in WW view, I found that it was disorienting and jumped back into the pit again. Just got used to it is all http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Online, any settings are ok as long as the server has honorable pilots and the pit LOCKED. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

BM357_Raven
02-04-2004, 01:30 PM
When I get a really big head I like to knock it back down a bit by continuing to fly FR in a P/L HUD icons game.

Again me at Full Switch and them with P/L, HUD and icons... if you can stand the punishment (and I have a pretty high threshhold for punishment*) when you do get a kills you know they are worth 10x what you earn in a FR game...

I dont fly those rooms too much though. I have the same basic desire as everyone else. That is to have a level playing field with all settings equal (if that can be called a level playing field).

Flying at the same settings makes it feel more like you are measuring your capabilities against the rest of the world and getting relatively accurate feedback as to how you are doing. I mean sometimes you are hot and others not, but it's fun to measure yourself under the same set of criteria.

* BTW, I think the people who can withstand more ego blows and can keep coming back for more when they get shot down, eventually tend to become the best pilots on the net. So the more punishment you can take within a week, let's say, the faster you learn. I've known a lot of pilots who get frustrated way too easily and they always seem to drop out early cause they are just frustrated. These are the guys who never really get there. Or if they get close, they never really improve past a certain point.

For me I usually just grit my teeth and tell myself that I am going to take more and more. Like a boxer getting knocked down and refusing to stay down I rise back up. And at some point it always pays off.

And for me, I am a slow learner. I gotta admit it. when I pick a new plane type it takes me FOREVER to get the hang of it. Then when I switch back to a more familiar plane type it takes me a while to get into the groove. If you're like me, and you want to get really good, I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to try new plane types and get a feel of what they can and cannot do, BUT if you ARE like me, then you might do better just to really learn and perfect one plane type. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I dont know if this statement will help anyone. BUT the more you can withstand, the more practice you get within a night or a week or a month, and the faster you improve.

Intelligent aggression helps too....

TrackIR, It's like this yall'
http://www.bm357.com/highspeed_bm357_sig.gif (http://bm357.com)
Blazing Magnums 357th VFG
bm357.com (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash_intro.html) | Roster (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/bm357_rosters.asp) | Flash Cartoon (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/raven_in_plane9p.html) | BroDawg (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash-intro/tinman3.html) | QuickTime Videos (http://www.bm357.com/movies.htm)
Blazing_Magnums Server (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/server.htm)

JG26Red
02-04-2004, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_Raven:
When I get a really big head I like to knock it back down a bit by continuing to fly FR in a P/L HUD icons game.

Again me at Full Switch and them with P/L, HUD and icons... if you can stand the punishment (and I have a pretty high threshhold for punishment*) when you do get a kills you know they are worth 10x what you earn in a FR game...

I dont fly those rooms too much though. I have the same basic desire as everyone else. That is to have a level playing field with all settings equal (if that can be called a level playing field).

Flying at the same settings makes it feel more like you are measuring your capabilities against the rest of the world and getting relatively accurate feedback as to how you are doing. I mean sometimes you are hot and others not, but it's fun to measure yourself under the same set of criteria.

* BTW, I think the people who can withstand more ego blows and can keep coming back for more when they get shot down, eventually tend to become the best pilots on the net. So the more punishment you can take within a week, let's say, the faster you learn. I've known a lot of pilots who get frustrated way too easily and they always seem to drop out early cause they are just frustrated. These are the guys who never really get there. Or if they get close, they never really improve past a certain point.

For me I usually just grit my teeth and tell myself that I am going to take more and more. Like a boxer getting knocked down and refusing to stay down I rise back up. And at some point it always pays off.

And for me, I am a slow learner. I gotta admit it. when I pick a new plane type it takes me FOREVER to get the hang of it. Then when I switch back to a more familiar plane type it takes me a while to get into the groove. If you're like me, and you want to get really good, I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to try new plane types and get a feel of what they can and cannot do, BUT if you ARE like me, then you might do better just to really learn and perfect one plane type. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I dont know if this statement will help anyone. BUT the more you can withstand, the more practice you get within a night or a week or a month, and the faster you improve.

Intelligent aggression helps too....

TrackIR, It's like this yall'
http://bm357.com
_Blazing Magnums 357th VFG_
http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash_intro.html | http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/bm357_rosters.asp | http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/raven_in_plane9p.html | http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash-intro/tinman3.html | http://www.bm357.com/movies.htm
http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/server.htm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

since oct i have been getting shot down all the time and havent gotten any better? lol

horseback
02-04-2004, 02:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Stick to your guns. NEVER fly WonderWoman view. It's a horrible crutch. Friends don't let friends wimp out and fly WonderWoman style.

In addition to better ability to acquire distant targets (due to wings and fuselage and noses just "not being there"), there is another, even deadlier unrealistic advantage caused by WW view: the "under the nose" vision that allows for highly unrealistic accuracy in high angle off shooting and HOs.

Where the "in-pit" player has to sometimes "guess" and fire at a plane under his nose, or he can avoid a HO by staying under the enemy's nose, the WonderWoman pilot is oblivious to these effects, and becomes a seeming markswoman in shooting.

This setting is one that is almost always a "dealbreaker" for me. I'll maybe fly with a server that allows externals...but WonderWoman? No WAY.

http://www.naysayers.com/9jg52/wonderwoman.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stiglr, I posted a link a while back to prove that wonder Woman's optics were of questionable clarity. Check this link if the image doesn't come up.
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/TPC/Funny_Pictures/0001-1000/0601-0700/605/TPC_605.htm

Cheers

horseback
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/TPC/Funny_Pictures/0001-1000/0601-0700/605/TPC_605.htm

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

BM357_Raven
02-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Red sed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> since oct i have been getting shot down all the time and havent gotten any better? lol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Oh. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif Well then never mind what I said I was blabbering out my arse. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

I'm a blabber-arse..http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"The newest sub-hero the forums"


http://bm357.com/blabber_arse.gif

TrackIR, It's like this yall'
http://www.bm357.com/highspeed_bm357_sig.gif (http://bm357.com)
Blazing Magnums 357th VFG
bm357.com (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash_intro.html) | Roster (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/bm357_rosters.asp) | Flash Cartoon (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/raven_in_plane9p.html) | BroDawg (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash-intro/tinman3.html) | QuickTime Videos (http://www.bm357.com/movies.htm)
Blazing_Magnums Server (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/server.htm)

Bull-Dog.
02-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Tryed the WW view last night and found it so easy to get a kill it became boring.
Thanks for confirming what i thought about this advantage.
I will take your advice and continue to fly in the pit and take the beatings knowing that all my kills will be a measurement of my improving skills.

Why are there so few servers that have the settings we all seem to want?

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-05-2004, 07:59 AM
You can always check out the War Clouds Medium Server on UBI.com. Setting for this server i am sure are to your liking.

SPaRX

www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Check here too: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

Our difficulty settings have recently been slightly increased by reducing the friendly icon range to 1k, but it's still quite playable while maintaining near FR settings.

Drop by anytime. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif



http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

SpookyRuben
02-05-2004, 09:23 AM
I would say you are right Bulldog. I have had the game for a while but only just recently started playing online. I never flew with wonderwoman mode on when playing offline, sometimes I would use external just for the F3 flyby (I like the cinematic experience it brings).

The first server I played online had wonderwoman mode and I was getting trashed really bad. I was staying in the pit, no wonderwoman mode for me. I decided to take a break and watch my track, learn from my mistakes and all etc. It seemed that no matter what I did I had a near impossible time shaking guys from my six. Anyway, long story short. I tried out GreaterGreen.

Almost complete full settings, what a difference. All of a sudden, when I would break hard while someone was on my six, I would loose him alot more often than on the other server (I still get shot down like there's no tomorrow).

In the end there is no question in my mind. Having everyone stuck in the pit keeps the field level. If you play on a wonderwoman mode server and stay in the pit your at a disadvantage.

BTW, to the guys who run the GreaterGreen server. I enjoy it a lot. Lots of fun, interesting missions and all pilots who fly there are pretty decent guys and gals.

Cheers,

SpookyRuben

BM357_Raven
02-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Thunderbolt56 wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Check here too: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

Our difficulty settings have recently been slightly increased by reducing the friendly icon range to 1k, but it's still quite playable while maintaining near FR settings.

Drop by anytime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gg is one of the greatest servers out there. In a way, it's popularity has kept me out for ages, because it is so often filled up that I cant get in. But I spent more time overall in gg than I have in my own server even.. That is until recently...

I think it is probably the most playable server out there for guys who prefer FR while still allowing others who dont fly FR to recognize the enemy and get by...

S~

TrackIR, It's like this yall'
http://www.bm357.com/highspeed_bm357_sig.gif (http://bm357.com)
Blazing Magnums 357th VFG
bm357.com (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash_intro.html) | Roster (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/bm357_rosters.asp) | Flash Cartoon (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/raven_in_plane9p.html) | BroDawg (http://www.bm357.com/NEW_BM357/flash-intro/tinman3.html) | QuickTime Videos (http://www.bm357.com/movies.htm)
Blazing_Magnums Server (http://bm357.com/NEW_BM357/server.htm)

Blutarski2004
02-05-2004, 11:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by masamainio:
This is what Finnish ace Hans Wind (75 aerial victories) said about deflection shooting:

"When shooting from dead six, it is best to get about 20 meters from the enemy, where the prop-wash that was shaking your plane earlier settles down. It is like getting from "heavy seas" to a calm "backwater". It is very nice to shoot from the rear sides, and from there you most often shoot the enemy down, too. You should shoot in front of the armour into the cockpit and engine. The lead is also so small that it'll give you no trouble at all.

It is hard to shoot from the enemy's high six. This is because the target vanishes below your nose when you take the necessary lead. You shouldn't use this method against other fighters.

From the enemy's low six you can easily get to a shooting position, so that he'll never see you coming. Most planes are also very vulnerable from below, so that the first burst usually does what is necessary. When attacking from below, you should have enough speed, so that you don't get into trouble afterwards. Use a head-on solution only if you are forced into it."


Complete article at

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-CaptainWindsAirCombatTacticsLecture.html<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


..... Very interesting when one actually finds a parallel between the virtual flight sim and the real world. Thanks for posting.

BLUTARSKI