PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell To Utilize Social Stealth

chewie1890
05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
So the latest game in the Splinter Cell game entitled Conviction is set to utilize social stealth in a similar way to that of Assassins Creed. To all of those who subscribe to Game Informer you can find this on pages 76-77, just read where it has a topic of "Born To Run".

For all of those who don't subscribe, here is everything they said about it:

GameInformer said:
Now Sam has a new way to blend into his enviroment---he becomes a part of the crowd. Think of it like the St. Patrick's Day parade sequence from the movie The Fugitive. Sam's goal is to do whatever it takes not to draw attention to himself. Conviction's diverse crowd mechanic requires robust AI. People in the enviroment will react to Sam's presence, become unhappy -- maybe violent -- if he harasses them for too long, and even tip off the local police if he begins doing something suspicious or illegal. We witnessed one scene where Sam ran up to someone and stole their laptop. The person who owned the laptop started to follow Sam and call out for the police while other people who witnessed the scene pointed the nearest officer in Sam's direction.

But the crowd is also a tool for Sam to use to his advantage. "The crowds are our mobile stealth devices," says Felix Duchesneau, AI programmer. "They replace the shadow and light gameplay. They are the tool for stealth and blending into the enviroment." For example, if Third Echelon agents are looking for Sam, maybe he could cause some kind of mayhem - an explosion even - then flee with the rest of the crowd as the authorities are left to deal with the chaos. This might sound a little bit familiar. Remember this is the same studio that is making Assassin's Creed, but since the studio claims that the decision to use crowd gameplay was made independently for each game, we are fairly confident that there will be some unique differences between the two games.

So Ubisoft Montreal is creating SC: Conviction. Not only are they making the single player but they will also make the multi-player so we can expect it to be much more unified than DA was.

Feel free to talk about the new game, plot, but specifically their use of Crowd AI. Have fun.

mormonplyr
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
sweet, this game is gonna be awesome with social stealth!

randman2007
05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm glad to hear that they're using social stealth in Splinter Cell, but I am not happy to hear that it is REPLACING the shadow and light gameplay.

That was a big part of the fun. I think that's what drew to me to Assassin's Creed. It was going to offer one type of stealth while SC offered another.

I sure hope they combine the two.

BurntToast08
05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Sounds different, but is the next Splinter Cell still an exclusive for the 360? cause after playing DA im excited for the next one, its just i dont have a Xbox...

ifiwerearichman
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Ubisoft did announce that the scimitar engine was being used for a sequel to one of there games, though I thought it was for the next PoP game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif.

chewie1890
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
GameInformer had it listed as PC/XB360. But we all know Ubisoft Montreal likes to say it's only going to be on one system and then release the information that it will be multi-platform later. Ubisoft in general is a multi-platform company so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone got to see this game, maybe microsoft will pay to keep it 360 only but that would require quite a bit of change.

Lhorkan
05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds nice! Maybe I will have a shader 3.0 card by then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

chewie1890
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Hopefully it won't be as hard to find a computer which can play this game as it was with Double Agent.

rahul911
05-16-2007, 12:06 AM
I just bought a ps3..how am i going to play this game then....
But honestly i prefer the ol shadow and light game, dats what made AC better...but now it sounds **** though

chewie1890
05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Are you implying Assassins Creed used to have shadow and light? 'Cause from i've seen it's always been about the crowd. Are you saying that the Splinter Cell game or the Assassins Creed game 'is ****'? Just curious your grammar left me highly confused as to what you were trying to say.

Lhorkan
05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I think he said that he likes the SC shadow stealth better, and that AC was original using the social stealth. Now that SC will copy that though, it's just **** (for SC).

At least, that's what I made out of it.

quicksilver_502
05-16-2007, 01:07 PM
i don't have the patience for trial and error stealth. on the drak brotherhood go into the imperial prison mission i tried to sneak past them a few times but got bored and just killed everyone. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

chewie1890
05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Ah I see what you're saying. Personally I think what they're doing with the Splinter Cell series is brilliant. We've finally started getting more connected with our main Sam Fisher and we can really see what he would be like if he wasn't required to conform with the Third Eschelon's demands of him. He look's ridiculously awesome with a beard too. I definitly think they'll have the crowd dynamic down well seeing as how Ubi-Montreal is making it and they designed the engine.

I didn't really play the Splinter Cell series until Double Agent came out, that game got me addicted because of it's brilliance, I would like to see more of the emotion in Conviction.

Ocelot113
05-17-2007, 06:23 PM
GameInformer said:

I hope they don't do that with Splinter Cell. Why make two games with the exact same elements. That would be a horrible mistake, just like Double Agent. I would be more likely to buy the new SC if they made a Chaos Theory 2. Get back the the real Splinter Cell games, back to the basics guys.

I'm not saying that evolving Sam Fisher as a character is bad... I'm saying that being timed and having such a linear level structure is not Splinter Cell. In Chaos Theory you could actually explore the levels and find different ways to move through and complete objectives every time.

etothevizzle
05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by chewie1890:
GameInformer had it listed as PC/XB360. But we all know Ubisoft Montreal likes to say it's only going to be on one system and then release the information that it will be multi-platform later. Ubisoft in general is a multi-platform company so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone got to see this game, maybe microsoft will pay to keep it 360 only but that would require quite a bit of change.

at XO6 they announced that splinter cell 5 would be 360 exclusive (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/27/splinter-cell-bioshock-gta-iv-episodes-are-console-exclusive-f/)...and ubisoft said it is coming to the PC as well...and also they apparently said (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/914006084831/r/895009084831) that even if it was PS3 exclusive, they could not acheive what SC Conviction is right now on the 360

randman2007
05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I find it sad that they keep shunning the PC gamer with the Splinter Cell series. I mean, the PC gamer helped it off the ground!

etothevizzle
05-17-2007, 07:37 PM
oh my bad i forgot to say that it is coming to the PC too...they didnt shun you radman!!!

randman2007
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh! It IS!?

Score!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Thanks, etothevizzle. I was sweating a bit there...

TBrent118
11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
No game can beat real life social stealth. Check out this funny clip combining reality and Assassin's Creed:
http://www.1191ad.com/assassinscreed/link.html?i=ss9Qch