PDA

View Full Version : Stealing kills

Eightball_Syn
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I noticed that 'stealing kills' is strictly forbidden on alot of the servers, even on the servers that have very high realism settings. I understand that it might be irritating from a gamer point of view, working hard to obtain a kill, then someone comes and takes it without really working for it. It's morally wrong.
But in real life i guess that there's no such thing as 'stealing kills', if you shoot down an aeroplane that's in a dogfight with your wingman you are helping him out. So what i'm trying to point out is that there's a conflict between realism and gameplay. It's kinda similar to a ranked BF2 server, on a ranked BF2 server people rarely cooperate as good as they do on a non ranked server. The ranked servers attract people that want to score high, while the non ranked often attract people who want to play tactically with a team, with more focus on realism than getting the highest score.
What do you think about this issue, is there a conflict between gameplay and realism when it comes to the 'stealing kills' issue?

neural_dream
01-11-2006, 07:35 PM
No, not really. Some chivalry and you'll be fine in any server even if you commit unintentional kill stealing once or twice.

VW-IceFire
01-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Read something interesting today from the memoires of a 2nd TAF Spitfire pilot. The flight leaders flight of Spitfire IX's had come across a lone Ju-88 on a low level sortie. The pilot wrote how he was a bit annoyed that his wingman had moved forward of him and was breaking all flying discipline and doctrine.

The flight did indeed share in the final kill over the Ju-88 but the difference between reality and the simulation is that in the simulation you've got everyone a wannable ace and flight leader and very few who are good wingmen. They all want the kill and care not who else gets nailed along the way.

Thats fundamentally different in how things are flown.

So stealing kills in a virtual world is one of those guys you don't even want on your team because they steal your kill and similtaenously aren't protecting you from any other bandits that show up. Its not one strike...its two.

ZK-DABLIN
01-12-2006, 04:24 AM
It does probably have strong foundation in reality but online, especially in a team orientated environment I prefer never to fire on a target already engaged.

It has two benefits I can already think of.

1. I don't accidentally shoot my team mate
2. I can concentrate on keeping a good SA for potential threats

In my opinion stealing kills is pretty pointless as it is both time and bullets wasted.

In the situation my leader breaks away from a target, I'll take a quick snapshot at it admittedly, but unless advised to engage it, I'll follow the leader and watch his six.

I've only recently joined a squadron and decided to become more team orientated and trust me, team work is alot more fun then any level of kills. I could fly all day, and as long as I was a working part of the team, I wouldn't really care what my score was.

I think everybody should take that approach, it is alot more realistic, and frankly more rewarding.

WOLFMondo
01-12-2006, 04:42 AM
IF the server your on has comms, get on it. Then you can discuss with your fellow pilots the situation and who is best placed to make the kill, who is best placed to assist in a drag and bag etc. You'll find that when your on comms kills stealing happends allot less, simply because your all working together.

Countless times on WC comms, especially on blue (this ain't a dig at red but blue seems to do this a whole lot more), people have happily allow each other to make passes on an enemy, move out the way and let there fellow pilots make a pass until the enemy is dead or chased off.

Some guys would rather have the points so they kill steal, some guys would rather have the respect from there fellow virtual pilots and work together even if this means that they don't get the kill. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The only really bad manners in kill stealing is over the shoulder shooting.

Points and stats are the undoing of all online games. IMO anyways.

jimDG
01-12-2006, 04:55 AM
The points for a kill go to the first pilot (or AAA) that made the first critical damage. - the server would say "Y downs Z" (Y cut off a wing), but the points for the kill get awarded to X who first damaged a controls surface.
Thats my experience in 4.02. So I really dont understand what this stuff is all about, anymore. There is no way to kill steal. Is there?

rnzoli
01-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by jimDG:
There is no way to kill steal. Is there?
AFAIK the K/D ratio stats are based on the message from the server who downed who, not the points. That's why my server stats only consider points, nothing else. It is sooo funny when people start to look and ask 'wtf? i just shot you down, but where's my 100 point?' (AAA took it, go and get it from your collagues http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)