PDA

View Full Version : Finland Campaign completed in 4.08

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Okay, I played the whole massive campaign thorough and I felt that I need to give some review.

Before I even knew the Il-2 game I had read much about the military history of the conflict between Finland and Soviet Union during 1941-44. Personally I have always been more interested in the Continuation War than in the Winter War.

The Review, Year by year:

1941 - I started this flying with Fiat G.50, and this was the most enjoyable part of the campaign. The squadron had a 39 kill ace at the start which may be a little too high score because the highest scoring ace of the Winter War maybe had 16 or 17 kills. But in game terms all kills are count, even those that had been left very unconfirmed during the war.

- No special complaints about this year, except for that what idea is J8 for the fighter role in 1941? (lol). I had trouble keeping up with the Ju-52's in transport missions flying a G.50, what a nightmare had it been for a Gladiator pilot then? Many sad days for transport crews.

1942: the squadron got Brewsters. The enemy was more difficult to fight against this year but at least I managed to protect those transport planes more efficiently.

I never got a ground attack mission against an airfield although Blenheims, and sometimes Hurricanes, did that job with BW's protecting. Historically Finns rarely attacked airfields because even with successful outcome the loss of few enemy planes on the ground hardly had any effect on the VVS. Finns rather concentrated on aircombat and shooting down enemy experienced pilots.

What I was really surprised at was the Krohnstadt missions. As the Dynamic Campaign progressed the squadron was transferred to the Naval base of Leningrad! I really wonder if Mannerheim had approved such an idea because Krohnstadt was a part of Leningrad. Cool place though.

1943: The squadron got G-2's. Very similar to the 1942, and again after a while we got transferred to Krohnstadt.

1944: Planes upgraded to G-6's, but this part of the campaign was the biggest disappointment. During the whole year the squadron was based on Malmi airfield near Helsinki. The Karelian offesive did not happen at all, and once it came it was just one plain message saying that the campaign is over. I had expected the fun to start but then it didn't came at all.

Overally, if we just forgive the 1944 part, the Finnish campaign is just great.

Then some suggestions for hypothetical improvements:

- Separate 1st line, and 2nd line fighter campaigns. The current engine has the first line fighter campaign pretty as much as it should be. Some fighter types would be used for both campaign types. New Flyable planes such as Fokker XXI, Morane Saulnier, Curtiss Hawk 75, maybe even Myrsky.

- A bomber campaign: for Fokker C.X, Blenheim, Ju-88.

- Hanko Peninsula Map, and Upper Karelia Map.

- and a more dramatic 1944 Campaign.

Thanks for reading this.

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Okay, I played the whole massive campaign thorough and I felt that I need to give some review.

Before I even knew the Il-2 game I had read much about the military history of the conflict between Finland and Soviet Union during 1941-44. Personally I have always been more interested in the Continuation War than in the Winter War.

The Review, Year by year:

1941 - I started this flying with Fiat G.50, and this was the most enjoyable part of the campaign. The squadron had a 39 kill ace at the start which may be a little too high score because the highest scoring ace of the Winter War maybe had 16 or 17 kills. But in game terms all kills are count, even those that had been left very unconfirmed during the war.

- No special complaints about this year, except for that what idea is J8 for the fighter role in 1941? (lol). I had trouble keeping up with the Ju-52's in transport missions flying a G.50, what a nightmare had it been for a Gladiator pilot then? Many sad days for transport crews.

1942: the squadron got Brewsters. The enemy was more difficult to fight against this year but at least I managed to protect those transport planes more efficiently.

I never got a ground attack mission against an airfield although Blenheims, and sometimes Hurricanes, did that job with BW's protecting. Historically Finns rarely attacked airfields because even with successful outcome the loss of few enemy planes on the ground hardly had any effect on the VVS. Finns rather concentrated on aircombat and shooting down enemy experienced pilots.

What I was really surprised at was the Krohnstadt missions. As the Dynamic Campaign progressed the squadron was transferred to the Naval base of Leningrad! I really wonder if Mannerheim had approved such an idea because Krohnstadt was a part of Leningrad. Cool place though.

1943: The squadron got G-2's. Very similar to the 1942, and again after a while we got transferred to Krohnstadt.

1944: Planes upgraded to G-6's, but this part of the campaign was the biggest disappointment. During the whole year the squadron was based on Malmi airfield near Helsinki. The Karelian offesive did not happen at all, and once it came it was just one plain message saying that the campaign is over. I had expected the fun to start but then it didn't came at all.

Overally, if we just forgive the 1944 part, the Finnish campaign is just great.

Then some suggestions for hypothetical improvements:

- Separate 1st line, and 2nd line fighter campaigns. The current engine has the first line fighter campaign pretty as much as it should be. Some fighter types would be used for both campaign types. New Flyable planes such as Fokker XXI, Morane Saulnier, Curtiss Hawk 75, maybe even Myrsky.

- A bomber campaign: for Fokker C.X, Blenheim, Ju-88.

- Hanko Peninsula Map, and Upper Karelia Map.

- and a more dramatic 1944 Campaign.

Thanks for reading this.

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Intersting. This has been in my 'to do' -list for a while, actually I've even started it but didn't advance but only a couple of mission.

A couple of questions:

How many missions you flew overall?

How many kills you got?

What rank did you start and finish with?

Btw. What was your squadron(LeLv)? I don't remember any using that planeset historically (not that it's of very high importance). I have thought about flying for LeLv 24, with following planes:

1941-43: B-239
1944: Bf 109G-2

That was what LeLv 24 actually used (Brewsters were of course flown until 109s arrived in -44).
They also had the highest scoring aces, Ilmari Juutilainen (from -43 on with LeLv 34 though) and Hans Wind.

Thanks for your review.

Talvikko
02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
The last campaign was disappointment for me too, when I played first time, so I added a few missions to it and now it has about 100 missions. It is easy by editing db file.

I have a question:
Every time when I completed a campain during Finnish career (1941, 1942 or 1943), next campaing started at Malmi airfield, or another airfield distant from a frontline. Did you experience the same?

Talvikko
02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
And another thing:
The Ju-88 campaign for Finnish pilots exists.
you can download it from mission4today site, as I remember correctly.

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
Intersting. This has been in my 'to do' -list for a while, actually I've even started it but didn't advance but only a couple of mission.

A couple of questions:

How many missions you flew overall?

How many kills you got?

What rank did you start and finish with?

Btw. What was your squadron(LeLv)? I don't remember any using that planeset historically (not that it's of very high importance). I have thought about flying for LeLv 24, with following planes:

That was what LeLv 24 actually used (Brewsters were of course flown until 109s arrived in -44).
They also had the highest scoring aces, Ilmari Juutilainen (from -43 on with LeLv 34 though) and Hans Wind.

Thanks for your review. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I flew 180 missions, my kills were around 210.

I started as Lentomestari and ended as Kapteeni.

My squadron was LeLv 26 - therefore I selected the Fiat Fighter. Historically the squadron was still flying with Fiats in 1943 and later on it got most of the remaining 18 Brewsters FAF had left.

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talvikko:
The last campaign was disappointment for me too, when I played first time, so I added a few missions to it and now it has about 100 missions. It is easy by editing db file.

I have a question:
Every time when I completed a campain during Finnish career (1941, 1942 or 1943), next campaing started at Malmi airfield, or another airfield distant from a frontline. Did you experience the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starting from Malmi in January 1944 makes sense because there was a Soviet Bombing campaign going on against Helsinki that time. That the campaign never moves from Malmi however does not make sense.

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talvikko:
And another thing:
The Ju-88 campaign for Finnish pilots exists.
you can download it from mission4today site, as I remember correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there is one for the DGEN but I feel it should be included in the main feature too.

Hkuusela
02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
I have thought about flying for LeLv 24, with following planes:

That was what LeLv 24 actually used (Brewsters were of course flown until 109s arrived in -44). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you sure LeLv 24 had G2's? I thought they got G6's in -44. The ones that LeLv 34 got in -43 were G2's. Not sure though, just asking...

leitmotiv
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
210 Kills. Cor blimey, this is definitely a game.

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hkuusela:
I have thought about flying for LeLv 24, with following planes:

That was what LeLv 24 actually used (Brewsters were of course flown until 109s arrived in -44). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you sure LeLv 24 had G2's? I thought they got G6's in -44. The ones that LeLv 34 got in -43 were G2's. Not sure though, just asking... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. See this link:http://www.geocities.com/finnmilpge/fmp_faf_lelv24.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Squadron received second-hand Bf 109G-2s between 4.4. -
May 1944 from HLe.Lv.30 and HLe.Lv.34. BWs were handed
over to HLe.Lv.26 by 21.5.1944. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it appears the also got G6s later.

Hkuusela
03-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Ok, thanks for the info! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BWaltteri
03-01-2008, 03:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
210 Kills. Cor blimey, this is definitely a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also 'died' several times.