PDA

View Full Version : How acuate is an weapon officer's solution?

BiggBuddplz
06-30-2006, 06:23 AM
How acuate is weapon an officer's solution?
Does his ex effect results? if so how much?
Is it a "cheat" to ask?

Kaleun1961
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
It's no cheat to ask; that's how you learn!

I've found that the Weapons Officer's solutions can be very reliable, provided you as the Kaleun have laid the groundwork for him. You must maneuver your U-boat into a good firing position, ideally perpendicular to the course of your target. The closer you can get, the better. Just don't get too close, under 300 metres running distance for your torpedoes, or they won't detonate. I try to make most of my attacks from under 1,000 metres. I did have my WO make a kill on a destroyer from about 7,500 metres!

I believe that experience also plays its part; so that the more experienced your WO is, the more reliable his solutions. But even with a green WO, if you get into a good firing position he'll do the job. But if you are a rookie, best to make his job as easy as possible; get in close as you can. Try to avoid desperate shots, such as from off angles or at ships moving away from you. Hail Mary shots are usually a waste of torpedoes.

DBond99
07-01-2006, 01:33 PM
WO solutions are always perfectly accurate at the instant they are obtained, laser solutions of doom. Experience has no effect in my opinion.

It should be viewed as an aid, something to reduce the workload of the skipper, or to help the skipper who does not or cannot produce his own targeting information, not as a realistic way of obtaining the necessary targeting info. Despite hundreds of claims to the contrary, the 'weapons officer' was not involved in obtaining targeting information on German u-boats.

Even the term 'solution' is misleading. The TDC computes the solution. The skipper obtains the target ID, AoB and range and the TDC does the rest. It should be called manual targeting, not manual solutions. Manual solutions are using slide rules and is-was, like in WWI.

Kaleun1961
07-01-2006, 04:56 PM
That's about the way it was. The Kaleun, when submerged and doing a periscope attack made the estimations and called out his observations, which were set into the TDC. During surface attacks it was usually the First Officer who made the observations while the Kaleun called out orders to the helm. Das Boot did a good job in portraying this. The weapons officer was responsible for maintaining the torpedoes in good condition, ready for combat when required.

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Yep, for those not yet confident of 100%, it is a good idea to select 100% then select WO input. I think you'll get about 87% or similar? but what you do then is, sight your target & do it all for yourself, then ask your WO and compare. I found this to be the best practice ever for launching fish

3.JG51_Molders
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd rather trust myself with the solution http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.