PDA

View Full Version : Damage and rounds

guyran
11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
1. Is there any way to get a list of damage in my plane?
2. How may I know how many rounds remain in my gun or cannon?

Opie-won
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Not sure what you mean by list of damage in your plane; are you meaning what damage your aircraft has sustained? I don't know what specific info you are looking for, but the game usually tells you if you have lost any attitude controls such as elevators, rudder, and aileron control. It also tells you if you have exceeded your maximum speed with flaps and gear down which is indicated by "Flaps jammed" or "Landing gear damaged". Does that help?

Some aircraft have round-counters in them and some do not. The B-239 and I think the Buffalo Mk1 have a round counter on the instrument panel, and several of the Geman fighters have indicators that show ammo remaining. Some aircraft have one or two guns that have a little more ammo then the others, and that is a good indication that you are about out of ammo. One that comes to mind on this is the Hurricane MK1 and IIB; The right outboard gun has about 25-30 more rounds then the others. When you see a single stream of tracers, you are about out of bullets and it's time to head home. Hope this helps.

VW-IceFire
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
For evaluating damage I do the "look and see" method http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If I evaluate that I'm missing a wing then its time to bail out!

icrash
11-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Opie is right, the game will usually tell you what happened if it is something big (on the right side of the screen). I've used Icefire's method too after hearing a loud bang and seeing nothing in terms a damage report from the game.

Skycat_2
11-23-2007, 06:08 PM
You can approximate how much ammunition you have left if you count the duration of your bursts. Real pilots often had to know how many seconds of continuous fire they had in their ammo trays, typically between 15-30 seconds. Guns were fired for only a few seconds at a time to avoid overheating and warping the barrels. Good pilots could mentally calculate the ammunition remaining by counting off how many seconds worth had been expended.

Opie-won already mentioned the mechanical counters that are in some cockpits. I can't think of any other planes in the Pacific Fighters set that have these equipped, but if you are playing a 'broader' version of the game (Forgotten Battles or 1946) you'll find ammunition counters mounted near the gunsights in most of the German fighters; I think that some of the Italian fighters also have counters.

The P-51s have more rounds for the inboard guns than the outboard guns; when you hear the MG sounds become less intense you are nearly out of bullets.

guyran
11-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks all.
In combat flight simulator 3 for comparison, in the virtual cocpit screen, there is a fixed display of rounds counter as well as fuel, flaps status, throtle and pilot health. This is very helpfull indeed.