PDA

View Full Version : 4.02 AI

LEBillfish
10-27-2005, 11:04 PM
4.02 AI........

WOW......what a difference. The fly as you order. Are very aggressive and leathal when attacking to defend you.......and run up against a flight of them, they're a well oiled machine as though the finest live player team online.

Great stuff 1c....Giant leap forward....Easily best improvement in 4.02 and no doubt the most complex.

Loco-S
10-27-2005, 11:27 PM
say so...Im still tring to make three missions alive in pilot career...they keep killing me!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ZK-DABLIN
10-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes, so it isn't my imagination. I had read so many faults regarding 4.02 (though not experiencing any) and was wondering if the AI was infact improved upon.

I don't fly on any difficulty level below veteran and have actually created my own training regime using ACE AI exclusively.

After installing the 4.02 patch I came aware the AI was doing a great deal more to protect themselves and were a great deal more challenging to counter. I haven't yet tried a mission with wingmen or other teammates but after your observations I might give it a go and take notice of their actions.

Xiolablu3
10-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Although u can stil slightly damage a wing and the AI will crash :P

SeaFireLIV
10-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Although u can stil slightly damage a wing and the AI will crash :P

Don`t agree. I`ve hit AI several times in the wing and they fly on much more. Previously they`d crash EVERY TIME you hit the wing, now it`s only every now and then , as it should be if lift in one wing affects their general flying. Certain AI will avoid crashing and others (recruits) may not, depending on the manouevers they`re doing.

cueceleches
10-28-2005, 02:43 AM
I agree. I now have more a sense of team play with my AI buddies than ever. They do protect me when asked for, they do attack agressively, and they do evade and maneuver when attacked more smartly. Yes, offline campaigns are more challenging than ever.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Enemy AI may have improved slightly over 4.01 but friendly AI are still clueless.

I flew a co-op (one of the good things about co-ops is you get to play "offline" (against AI) and "online" at the same time) the other day where we (humans) attacked 'Malta' with BF110s and had 8 AI G2s as top cover.

We hit the base hard then dispersed hoping that the G2s would keep the fighter busy while we made a run for it. However, they had different ideas as they just circled around completely ignoring the requests of 'help me' or asking the ground control to vector fighters to our area. As we got shot down, I remarked that the fighter cover had done an excellent job and the other players laughed in agreement.

IMO, the veteran/ace level AI (in QMB) still fly to the same pattern as in 4.01 although they do maybe take a couple of more hits to the wing before they spiral down.

They also still go after aircraft that have already been crippled rather than taking on real threats (which some may think is actually more realistic) and they still crash into the ground if you land without telling them to go home beforehand.

Ta,
norris

No601_Bigbyte
10-28-2005, 03:41 AM
You used to be able to attack a leader and fly in front of his wingamn and not get hurt. Try it now! lol

depalmer
10-28-2005, 04:29 AM
LEBILLfish got to agree with you about the AI in 4.02m being much more deadly. The other thing I noticed right away was how hard it is to fly with wing damage now.

Bearcat99
10-28-2005, 05:31 AM
They will still steal your kills though... sometimes shooting through you to do so... just not as bad.. LOL.

PBNA-Boosher
10-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Bearcat, that mission I just made and we tested out....

It's a whole lot tougher now than I imagined it could be. The AI in this patch is greatly enhanced and they stop at nothing to destroy you.

BTW, I lessened the AAA, so if you want to try it again, lemme know.

AH_Gonzo
10-28-2005, 05:55 AM
I flew a co-op (one of the good things about co-ops is you get to play "offline" (against AI) and "online" at the same time) the other day where we (humans) attacked 'Malta' with BF110s and had 8 AI G2s as top cover.

NorrisMcWhirter, stop attacking Malta please, we've already had our share, lol!

The 4.02 AI seem to use the same tactics they had in 4.01 but are some how more effective. One thing I've noticed, Ace AI pilots are much more aggressive and will take a lot more damage before going down. It almost feels as if they're aircraft are slighty better built too in some cases.

The harder the AI's are, the better!

lowfighter
10-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Bearcat, that mission I just made and we tested out....

It's a whole lot tougher now than I imagined it could be. The AI in this patch is greatly enhanced and they stop at nothing to destroy you.

BTW, I lessened the AAA, so if you want to try it again, lemme know.

Sounds like good news. I thought I was dreaming but if so many people see the same it must have some truth in it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Enforcer572005
10-28-2005, 06:09 AM
ive noticed alot of the same things you guys have, like them being more inovative in dogfights it seems, however, like mentioned above, 2 of my 3 wingmen just nosed over thier P-400s and dove into the ground a few seconds after i ordered them to "loiter here" (or was it orbit here) while i landed. those guys really should be fixed along those lines.

ive also been trying to test to see if my wingmen will actually cover me if ordered to, rather than just fly along with me ignoring enemy fighters that attack. They keep getting shot down, so i cant really tell. Has any1 noticed if they DO cover you now if ordered?

REgardless, still a bit better than before.

AH_Gonzo
10-28-2005, 06:17 AM
LMAO. I just tried it and my 3 AI wingmen did the same thing. I think that when you set them to loiter, tehy attempt to maintain the same altitude that you do. Giving them the oder to return to base also causes them to orbit the field for ages.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
ive noticed alot of the same things you guys have, like them being more inovative in dogfights it seems, however, like mentioned above, 2 of my 3 wingmen just nosed over thier P-400s and dove into the ground a few seconds after i ordered them to "loiter here" (or was it orbit here) while i landed. those guys really should be fixed along those lines.

ive also been trying to test to see if my wingmen will actually cover me if ordered to, rather than just fly along with me ignoring enemy fighters that attack. They keep getting shot down, so i cant really tell. Has any1 noticed if they DO cover you now if ordered?

REgardless, still a bit better than before.

I find I do get cover when I order it & when I start screaming for help, the flight generally rushes to my aid. The only problem I have had with fellow AI pilots not doing what they were told was when I was using DCG 3.17.

danjama
10-28-2005, 07:58 AM
I really dont play with AI as much as i want to. However, i played a Coop last night with a couple of 109s left to the AI to fly, and lets say that it was very hard to shake him once he was there. I had to take him all the way to the deck and drag him to a friend.

On the negative (sory i hate being negative) they can shoot you right through clouds. I mean it. Yesterday, running my coop with THUNDERSTORM weather and it is shooting me through the thickest clouds ive ever been in! And to top it odd he was about .600 away

Bearcat99
10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Rgr that Boosh....

Hey if you think the new AI is sweet.. you should fly with VAC then.. Voice Activated Commands.. (Get it from AW.com or the Essentials thread.. well worth the donation... can be used in any windows program) It adds a whole new dimension to offline or coop play. It also helps your flying because you can concentrate on flying and not have to type.

han freak solo
10-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Who taught the AI how to turn without banking?

So, I'm in this mini-campaign for the P11, and I'm chasing Ju-87s so I can shoot them from a very low 6 position. I'm banking the whole time while they are "straight and level". What tha?

I flick the mini map on and confirm that they are turning. Cross control turning. Tricky bastids.

han freak solo
10-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Just finished the P11 mini-campaign.

Got on the tail of some Blenheims. Once I was in shootin' range, they kicked hard right rudder to throw off my aim.

This time, I was payin' attention.

If the AI did this before 4.02, I never noticed.

ZK-DABLIN
10-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Imagine if the AI became a customizable component of the game?

Even if it came in the fashion of block-logic like used in Roboforge I bet the community could come up with some really successful AI pilots. Even if it was associated to just one plane.

Imagine the possibilities. I for one would jump at the idea to try my skills at developing AI for a combat flight simulator.

bazzaah2
10-29-2005, 02:29 AM
AI is much improved and can have some half way decent fights with even Average settings. Still seems immune to G force though, but overall, so much better now.

Kuna15
10-29-2005, 06:20 PM
AI is really good now IMHO probably best ever in FB/PF.

I don't believe that ace AI A6M2 (I tested FB A6M2 not PF version) was ever this hard.

I mean I setup QMB 4xA6M2 on 25% fuel versus me in P-40 (B, C or E) on 50% fuel, and literally one wrong move and I'm toast.
Even turning do not work great as it used to (OK do not laugh at me turning against Zero, but in past turning worked exceptionally well against all ai regardless what I am flying as long as I turn on deck).

I have noticed that the AI do not accidentaly crash (ram the ground lol) as it used to before.
For example I have flown clipped Spit 9e versus 16 ace ai Bf-109G6AS/Bf-109G10 mix (50% fuel), and even on map like Crimea (hills, so I forced turning around hill on deck level to force them to crash) I wasn't able to survive (after a couple times I gave up it's quite hopeless, all I can do to avoid destruction is circling on deck).

fordfan25
10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
yea im just glad thay stoped flyn into the ground/water for no resone in qmb.

tomtheyak
10-29-2005, 07:15 PM
I experienced some of the best AI enemy fighting ever:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7841020273

I know the story is long but it shows what they did and how well they did it - some dramatic license maybe gives it more credit than it's due but what the hey?

I loved being B&Z'd and then watching them extend and climb as soon as I tried to get on their tails, and then they'd wait for me to break off b4 re-engaging; excellent!!

Yeah, freindly AI could be improved but half of that is knowing it's limitations and compensating with the right orders at the right time.

I'd like to be able to

1) Order other individual a/c bail outs - stop that wingy of yours deadsticking straight into the largest wood on the map when he could have easily reached that massive clearing...

2) Individual break warnings - I've needed this sooooooo many times. Be good to have.

Just my 2p.

Kuna15
10-30-2005, 08:26 AM
I agree with Tom. There is simply never enough of ai polishing; they can be better and better and better...
Some of the commands they should really obey immediatelly -- they do obey eventually, but not after they do some manoeuvres of 'their own liking', and that is usually enough for whole flight to be doomed since every second is precious sometimes.

Most likely they will stay the way they are (regarding new commands) in game. In BoB things should be different, and I am afraid for our egoes since I predict they will be better than us -- without need to cheat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-30-2005, 08:32 AM
One "no brainer" realism enhancement to AI would be for them to give their 'callsign' as part of the message.

e.g. "This is red one. Bandits at 1 o'clock low"

When you are in a co-op/offline, it's very confusing (and not very realistic) to have a completely seperate to yours flight requesting help.

What would be even nicer is if they could be requested to give you their approximate location and altitude.

Ta,
Norris

Kuna15
10-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Absolutely agree with Norris. In Wings Of Vicotry I see that they shout bandits ahead range 2km etc., giving at least some kind of useful info, and in FB the only thing you can know when ai screams fighter/bombers at ... 3 o c is that the enemy airplanes are around, usually in 3km range or so.
In WoV there is also heading to the nearest base, and when you ask to return to formation, leader gives you distance between you and the rest of the flight.

Anyhow I am really looking to OM's BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.