PDA

View Full Version : Online server stats priorities

F19_Orheim
04-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi. Just a thought.

Many Online Servers offers Statistics, and by the looks of them, what really seems to count is "number of airkills", equals "the more kills you have, the better pilot you are".

In my book this is not the case at all. Number of airkills really only tells how many hours you have spent on that particular server. If you list "pilots" in statlist, those pilots with the most kills end up highest.

In a way this sends the "wrong message" and promotes "bad flying" and "bad judgements" in combat situations.

I my humble opinion I think that KILL/DEATH ration tells more about a pilot's skill rather than the amount of kills. Very seldom (if you look at the lists) do amounts of kills and kill/death ratio coincide.

If kill/death ration was listed in the main list, and was the parameter that decided "who's the best pilot" maybe we could send "the message" and get rid of some "quake war attitudes" that seems to be more common nowadays on our online servers.

just my 2 ├┬Âre...

rnzoli
04-22-2006, 11:26 AM
many online stats bleed from typical wounds
- they don't reflect mission objectives
- they don't reflect teamwork efficiency
- they don't reflect bombing and ground attack efficiency.

one reason may explain why server operators sort the pilot list by kill number - the top guys are definitely very active on the server, and that's good from the admins point of view

F19_Orheim
04-23-2006, 03:21 AM
wish someone could stop the bleedinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TooCooL34
04-23-2006, 03:46 AM
WarClouds T.A.R.G.E.T stats will show you rational statistic table.
Did you ever visit them?
One can't get any score if he don't RTB safely even if he killed 10 bandits in a sortie.
Moreover, ground pounders can get huge score cause TARGET gives them good reward, about 3 or 4 per a ground target depending its type, assuming one air kill score is 10.

Monson74
04-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
Hi. Just a thought.

Many Online Servers offers Statistics, and by the looks of them, what really seems to count is "number of airkills", equals "the more kills you have, the better pilot you are".

In my book this is not the case at all. Number of airkills really only tells how many hours you have spent on that particular server. If you list "pilots" in statlist, those pilots with the most kills end up highest.

In a way this sends the "wrong message" and promotes "bad flying" and "bad judgements" in combat situations.

I my humble opinion I think that KILL/DEATH ration tells more about a pilot's skill rather than the amount of kills. Very seldom (if you look at the lists) do amounts of kills and kill/death ratio coincide.

If kill/death ration was listed in the main list, and was the parameter that decided "who's the best pilot" maybe we could send "the message" and get rid of some "quake war attitudes" that seems to be more common nowadays on our online servers.

just my 2 ├┬Âre...

On Warclouds they run a different system where you can see your kill/death ratio & the "streak" (number of kills w/o getting yourself killed) & your highest streak. This is a nice feature, however, I often find that stats are inaccurate & not recording what did happen. The kill/death count is also misleading because you may have been defeated but not killed: your enemy scores a "kill" on you but you didn't actually die - you landed safely with some holes or you made it out in the chute.
I guess half of my "kills" are people who have rtb safely. Sometimes if you score a pk & the guy hit refly quickly you'll get a kill message in the game but the stat doesn't record it.

Sing along:

But the stats don't work
They just make you worse
but I know I'll see your six again

Uh la la la la la

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

F19_Orheim
04-23-2006, 03:51 AM
hmm, aren't Warclouds mostly late war ?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif not my cup of tea...
sounds interesting though, thanx!!

rnzoli
04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I am running mid-war scenarios (now Stalingrad '43), but my server is not online all the time, limited in slots and the stats are really, really simple... (link under my sig).

I had a big dilemma about the stats though, and finally dediced that I only track points awarded by the IL2 software, not the number of kills seen in the chat messages. This takes care of the troubles mentioned by Monson, also gives the ground pounders their share of success, and works with the standard "land 100%, emergency land 70%, bail 50%, die 10% principle". Besides the points, the script measures time spent in the missions, from which I also calculate points/hour on the stats page, which gives a surprisingly accurate picture of the good guys, really. Under 100 pts/hour, the pilot is a beginner, between 100-200 pts/hour the pilot is medium, above 200 pts/hour the pilot is quite good. However, I sort the pilot list by the total time spent in mission, because that gives an indication about the regular visitors. I also record the number of RTBs, because I wanted to give the beginners some kind of recognition for their efforts, and in their case, landing is a success anyhow.

I also experimented with team point sysem, but there is little uptake on that, I have used it with a few buddies and it promotes much better teamwork (doesn't matter who makes the kill, the points from it will be shared evenly between the team members), but the casual nature of a DF server makes it difficult to maintain long-lasting bonds between players, and all stats are cleared after 3 months of inactivity.

F19_Orheim
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
thanx mate, will try it out if I see it online!
Team engouraging stats would be a blessing.