PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC (Seriously this time)

SoulFire382
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, I've recently discovered (Thanks to a bout of crashes in every game I own) that my power supply either became completely insufficent, or is failing.
However, thanks to the 'Fine Folks' (TM) at Computer Hell (Read: Dell) I can't upgrade it past 250 watts. So, I either modify a new power supply myself (No way that's going to happen without catastrophic failure) buy a modified one (FAR too expensive) or, build a new PC from the ground up.
So far, it's looking like my dad and I are going to try to build one. This means replacements for almost everything; chassis, motherboard, processer, power supply, etc.
We are replacing everything except for the RAM, (I have 2.5 GB, I think that's enough for a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) and the video card. (My X850 XT still has some fight left in it)
So, yet again, I ask the PC-knowledgeable of you out there...
What do you reccomend for new parts? What brand of power supply, and what kind of wattage should we look for? What kind of processer? Is buying a dual-core one a good idea? Should there be capability for two video cards?

Thanks in advance!

SoulFire382
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, I've recently discovered (Thanks to a bout of crashes in every game I own) that my power supply either became completely insufficent, or is failing.
However, thanks to the 'Fine Folks' (TM) at Computer Hell (Read: Dell) I can't upgrade it past 250 watts. So, I either modify a new power supply myself (No way that's going to happen without catastrophic failure) buy a modified one (FAR too expensive) or, build a new PC from the ground up.
So far, it's looking like my dad and I are going to try to build one. This means replacements for almost everything; chassis, motherboard, processer, power supply, etc.
We are replacing everything except for the RAM, (I have 2.5 GB, I think that's enough for a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) and the video card. (My X850 XT still has some fight left in it)
So, yet again, I ask the PC-knowledgeable of you out there...
What do you reccomend for new parts? What brand of power supply, and what kind of wattage should we look for? What kind of processer? Is buying a dual-core one a good idea? Should there be capability for two video cards?

Thanks in advance!

quillan
08-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok, let's see here. First, power supply. I wouldn't go below 500 watts, and get a good one. Antec, Enermax, Coolermaster, OCZ, something like that. Here's the kicker for you: since you're hanging on to that X850 video card, you HAVE to have an AGP motherboard. However, the best processor you can get right now is a Conroe, and most of those boards are PCI-E. Also, many boards now are for DDR2, and you probably have DDR. Fortunately for you, there is a solution.

The ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard. This particular board is unusual, but for you it sounds perfect. It has an AGP8x slot and a PCI-E x16 slot, so you can use your current video card, and upgrade to a PCI-E one later without changing boards. Also, it has two DDR memory slots, and two DDR2 memory slots, both dual channel, so you should be able to use your existing memory. If you look at this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2814
you'll see that the board gives good performance with an AGP video card, and they've done two earlier test sets comparing DDR and DDR2 memory on it. It's not quite as high performance as some other boards out there, but it's good value and decent performance.

Now, you won't be able to use all 2.5 GB of your memory. The best you could use is 2 gigs, and that's assuming you have a pair of 1 gig sticks. The motherboard is available at Newegg for $56. The Conroe processors start about $190, but I'd recommend the $240 or $370 ones. Newegg also carries the power supplies and cases, as well as hard drives and such. You can get everything you need there.

WhiteKnight77
08-29-2006, 04:39 AM
There is one place you can get a new PSU for a Dell. PC Power & Cooling (http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/) is the only company to make power supplies that work with Dell computer's crazy wiring schemes. The only problem is they are a bit pricy at around $150, but they are normally some of the best PSUs around. They came in second last year in a PSU showdown at MaximumPC to Antec. Before that, they stood atop the pile.

Da_shoota
08-29-2006, 06:24 AM
I bought a PS for my dell from PC Power and Cooling. I saved some money and bought a refurbished. Still wasn't cheap though. You are better off getting a new PC.