PDA

View Full Version : "No Map" bug again for a 150$ software ?

Bromophenol
04-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi all,
I have IL-2 FB AEP, no patch, and for the second time I got the "no map display" error.
I'm pissed, it was my 100th mission in campaign !

I know I know, "duplicate the last succesfull mission in ini.config"
see :
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=6191041362

well, I payed 50 bucks for IL2, 50 bucks for FB and another 50 for AEP, so, at that price the product should be bug-free.

ImpStarDuece
04-28-2005, 07:53 PM
How much did you pay for your Microsoft OS?

Is that product bug free?

Bromophenol
04-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
How much did you pay for your Microsoft OS?

Is that product bug free?

Obviously not. Iy is not bug free. Nothing is bug free on this planet.
But here this is a differenet matter. It seems that this bug is not a minor bug. It happened to a lot of other people, and not just once.
It forces you either to replay all the campaign, from zero, or, if you like to live dangerously, to rewrite the ini file, which I am sure is not supposed to be done.

I'm not a whiner, if it was just a sound buz or something in the graphic that doesn't look like my best wish, I wouldn't even mention it. But this is a major bug.

For those who havn't find it (yet) it happens when you quit a mission and you press the apply button, then the game freezes and you have to restart it. When you restart, the map display is empty. You basically cannot continue the campaign.

The cause might not due to the game itself or Ubisoft, for example it could be due to any other software interrupting the game, like an antivirus ?
I don't know.
But since it happens often, it should be adressed with a patch that would rescue the last mission or the one before, for example an option that would allow to replay the previous succesful mission, without having to play with the ini files.

knightflyte
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Sorry Bromophenal. That sux to be 100 missions into a campaign so I understand the frustration.
As you said it may be a conflict of software... or even hardware.
If it is such a matter then changing it with a patch isn't the answer because not everyone has the same software/ hardware configuration.
If it is firewall/antivirus related then you need to be certain it's off.
I have to turn antivirus/firewall off for my editing application and I CONSTANTLY forget. (That's the REAL Forgotten Battle)
It sux and is frustrating.... but not the end of the world.

regards,
Robert

edit:
D'oh! I reread you last post, and maybe a back button would be a servicable addition http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bromophenol
04-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
Sorry Bromophenal. That sux to be 100 missions into a campaign so I understand the frustration.
As you said it may be a conflict of software... or even hardware.
If it is such a matter then changing it with a patch isn't the answer because not everyone has the same software/ hardware configuration.
If it is firewall/antivirus related then you need to be certain it's off.
I have to turn antivirus/firewall off for my editing application and I CONSTANTLY forget. (That's the REAL Forgotten Battle)
It sux and is frustrating.... but not the end of the world.

regards,
Robert

edit:
D'oh! I reread you last post, and maybe a back button would be a servicable addition http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

yes, just that, a "back" button would help a lot.
Allright so I just did it, copy past the last mission in the ini file of my campaign and restart the sim. I replayed the mission...and get killed this time.

And oh yes, I always play with my firewall in "block all" mode. Impossible otherwise, there is always a software (I mean spyware) or popup that Norton ask to block or check. But I am used to it.

I love the Ubi IL-2 simulator by the way. This is the only game I play. Interesting forum too.

-HH- Beebop
04-28-2005, 11:53 PM
You could post your dxdiag in the Community Help forum and see if the wizards there can locate a possible problem with your machine.

Just saying...........

WTE_DuStA
04-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Bromophenol:
Hi all,
I have IL-2 FB AEP, no patch, and for the second time I got the "no map display" error.
I'm pissed, it was my 100th mission in campaign !

I know I know, "duplicate the last succesfull mission in ini.config"
see :
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=6191041362

well, I payed 50 bucks for IL2, 50 bucks for FB and another 50 for AEP, so, at that price the product should be bug-free.

Have you considered patching AEP to 2.04 ?

And the fact u expect it to be bug free is bringing a smile to my face. Nothing is ever 100% bug free

dieg777
04-29-2005, 01:56 AM
This is a known bug and occurs in different hardware or game versions- fortunatly there is a solution and glad it worked for you.
The solution is simple and effective but you should always make a copy of any files that you are about to change so that you can get back to a start point if everything goes wrong.
There is an alternative mission generator from Lowengrin if you want to try it- but there are rare conflicts between the standard one and this third party one - so use it at your own risk- however I find it more immersive as it is truely dynamic.

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

good luck

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 02:28 AM
M8 after being constantly $crewed in campaigns (the very same error as you had), I have decided to back up my campaign every 5-10 missions. (you know copy/paste users and missions folder).

Maybe this will help you (if you are really pi$$ed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) -- if you bother to read it, it just may solve your problem:

Author Topic: Calling Observer: No MAP in mission file
Hondo
Member # 8241

- posted December 25, 2003 11:25 Profile for Hondo Author's Homepage Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I just encountered this error for the second time now, I had to abandon a DiD offline campaign for this once, and I don't want to do this again. Since you replied to a similiar topic I'd like to know if you can give me advice to save my current offline DGen campaign

Ok, I completed mission #20, but the DGen crashed when I hit the apply button. After restarting FB, the Map screen is empty and there's no briefing.

My campaign-ini looks like this:

[Main]
ExecGenerator DGen.exe
Class il2.game.campaign.CampaignBlue
awardsClass il2.game.campaign.AwardsDEfighter
[list]
30111.mis
30114.mis
30117.mis
30201.mis
30216.mis
30301.mis
30322.mis
30407.mis
30422.mis
30501.mis
30511.mis
30525.mis
30601.mis
30610.mis
30615.mis
30722.mis
30825.mis
40117.mis
40123.mis
40129.mis
end.mis

Please note: I choose to change the campaign length some missions ago.

The 40129.mis file show the following first lines:

[MAIN]
MAP FinsGulf/load_w.ini
TIME 11.25
CloudType 1
CloudHeight 1400.0
player fiLLv24fi20
playerNum 3
[Wing]

A 40129.properties file does exist.

The main career screen does show 20 completed mission, so the last mission got counted somehow. I do have somekind of a career backup created by IL2Stab with each FB start, but I guess this backup doesn't work since I started FB already once after the crash.

Whatever possibilites exist to go on with this campaign, I'll try them out. Best one would be to apply my real results from #20 and go on with #21, but if I have to refly/recreate #20 I'll do that to. All I need is advice [Smile]

Regards

Hondo

--------------------
41*Hondo
========================
Customize your offline campaign
IL2 DGen Tweaker
From: Hildesheim, Germany | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged
Observer
Member # 16454

- posted December 25, 2003 13:17 Profile for Observer Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote There is an answer to this that will save your campaign, but I need to understand a few things first.

First a bit of background on Stab (fantastic utility) and the IL2 campaign files.

There is an option in Stab to backup the campagin every time you start IL2. That's great except in instances where you have a CTD (or other type of crash) at the apply procedure since the natural inclination is to start IL2 again to see if you get a new mission. As luck would have it, you don't get a new mission and Stab has already copied over the old encrypted campaign.ini in the user folder. For this reason I disable this feature and use the manual backup option in Stab instead.

Regarding IL2, when you hit the "Apply" button, several operations happen before you get the next mission.

The first thing that happens in the previous missions results get parsed and the encrypted campaign.ini file is updated. (I've honestly never checked to see if the *.dat files get updated in the /missions folder, but I would guess that they do).

The next step is IL2 calls the DGen.exe application to "write" the next mission. This includes updating the campaign.ini file in the /missions folder, assigning the pilots and writing the *.mis and *.properties files. You can see all of this if you read the Dgen*.log files in the root folder. This is the step where you had the crash and this is the reason you get a blank map since DGen never wrote the next mission.

The last step that would normally happen would be for IL2 to load the new briefing for the next mission.

The problem is a mismatch between the number of missions in the encrypted campaign.ini file (should show 21 on main campaign screen in IL2 correct?) and the campaign.ini file in the /missions folder which only shows 20 (I counted [Smile] ). The last mission you flew was on 29 Jan 1944, correct?

There are two ways to tackle this problem, but first I need to know if you save all of your mission logs. Look at Stab options under the logging tab. Is the "do not overwrite the Events.log" box checked or unchecked? Alternately, you can look in the conf.ini file for:

[Console]
LOGKEEP=0

This determines if you will have to refly the previous mission or not. If you saved the previous mission, you won't have to refly it.

Sorry for the long post, but more is on the way. From: Over there | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged
Hondo
Member # 8241

- posted December 25, 2003 13:38 Profile for Hondo Author's Homepage Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote The stab option to keep the logs was unchecked so i'll have to refly the mission (i checked the option now for the future). And yes, January 29th, 1944 was my last mission.

Btw, I found a way to re-use the last mission and go on with the campaign, but I'd like to hear your solution anyway since my own solution is quite a bit of work (to make logbooks fit to all the dates etc...). I still have a backup of the fresh crashed campaign

--------------------
41*Hondo
========================
IL2 DGen Tweaker
Observer
Member # 16454

- posted December 25, 2003 13:49 Profile for Observer Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote The first steps of recovery can be accomplished regardless of the answer to the log question from the last post.

First I suggest you uncheck the option to automatically backup the campaign files in Stab until after you've completed this and it works. That way if you mess something up, you can always start over until you get it to work.

The first thing you will need to do is copy the previous *.mis and *.properties files, in this case 40129.mis and 40129.properties. You will then need to rename these files to something like 40130.mis and 40130.properties.

Next, you will need to add the mission to your campaign.ini file in the /missions folder. It should look something like this when completed:

[Main]
ExecGenerator DGen.exe
Class il2.game.campaign.CampaignBlue
awardsClass il2.game.campaign.AwardsDEfighter
[list]
30111.mis
30114.mis
30117.mis
30201.mis
30216.mis
30301.mis
30322.mis
30407.mis
30422.mis
30501.mis
30511.mis
30525.mis
30601.mis
30610.mis
30615.mis
30722.mis
30825.mis
40117.mis
40123.mis
40129.mis
40130.mis
end.mis

That should sync the users campaign.ini and the /missions campagin.ini file.

Next, to get the "new" mission to parse correctly, you will need to open the status.dat file. You might see something like this:

Crimea44
40129.mis

The first line is the next mission date in the YMMDD format. The second line campaign front you are currently flying on (I just guessed at Crimea, I honestly don't know), and the last line is the current mission you are flying. You will need to change the Status.dat file to something like this:

Crimea44
40130.mis

This reflects the change you made in the /missions campaign.ini file above.

Now when you go to the campaign screen, you should at least get a mission to load. The date in the mission will be wrong, but you can change it in the *.properties file if it bothers you. Just open it in notepad, look for the date Jan 29, 44 date and change it to Jan 30, 44.

There are a couple of other steps required to get everything back on track that I will post after you've gotten the old mission to show up. Let me know when you get this far, or if you have any problems along the way.

Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas! From: Over there | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged
Observer
Member # 16454

- posted December 25, 2003 13:55 Profile for Observer Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote

quote:Originally posted by Hondo:
The stab option to keep the logs was unchecked so i'll have to refly the mission (i checked the option now for the future). And yes, January 29th, 1944 was my last mission.

Btw, I found a way to re-use the last mission and go on with the campaign, but I'd like to hear your solution anyway since my own solution is quite a bit of work (to make logbooks fit to all the dates etc...). I still have a backup of the fresh crashed campaign

Well, that stinks, but it's easy enough as long as you have the "No Instant Success" untoggled. Just start the mission and as soon as you get in the cockpit, end it. Hit apply, and you'll get a new mission. Your CO will chew you out FWIW, but it's not a big deal unless you've changed the Ops44-N.dat script.

I save the logs because I like to look at them. Also, if you use the War Diary feature in Stab like I do, the log is saved there as well.

It sounds like your method of reusing the last mission is correct (it's the only one I know at least). Don't forget about the status.dat file so it looks for the right one to parse. And you are correct again. You will have to edit the squadron.dat file to remove the mission from the people assigned to it.

[ 12-25-2003, 13:59: Message edited by: Observer ] From: Over there | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged
Hondo
Member # 8241

- posted December 25, 2003 14:27 Profile for Hondo Author's Homepage Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Okay, I get the old 29/01/44 mission to show up, I changed to debriefing date to be able to determine which debriefing I actually read; status.dat is fixed, too.

--------------------
41*Hondo
========================
IL2 DGen Tweaker
Observer
Member # 16454

- posted December 25, 2003 15:07 Profile for Observer Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Good!

If you have the "No Instant Success" untoggled. Just start the mission and as soon as you get in the cockpit, end it. Hit apply, and you'll get a new mission. If you don't you'll have to fly the mission again.

You'll also have to change the squadron.dat file to get rid of the extra mission for every member of your squadron that flew the bogus mission.

You should be able to continue on from there without any other problems. From: Over there | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged
Hondo
Member # 8241

- posted December 25, 2003 15:50 Profile for Hondo Author's Homepage Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote No instant success is unchecked (never liked this setting). Thanks a lot, Observer, I'll open a bottle of wine now, and my first toast is to you.

Happy Holidays [Smile]

--------------------
41*Hondo
========================
IL2 DGen Tweaker
Observer
Member # 16454

- posted December 25, 2003 19:59 Profile for Observer Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Glad to help.

Cheers! From: Over there | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged