PDA

View Full Version : Use old Saved Games (PC) after Reinstalling. [Sticky this]

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi.

When I Uninstalled the game, so I could later reinstall it, it asked me if I Wanted to keep my saved games and user data, I chose yes.

Now, the problem is, this option keeps your .sav, .opt, and .map files, HOWEVER it deletes the .hdr file. I guess it's a bug in the uninstallation script. The .hdr file is needed by the game to recognize the profile, because the .hdr file contains the Profile name and I guess a pointer to the other files. My best guess is that the pointer is the .hdr filename.

for example: ABC.hdr will point to ABC.sav, etc..

So, I reinstalled, but the game wouldn't let me use my saved game files, The profiles menu was empty.

<span class="ev_code_RED">How do you solve this problem?</span>

1) You start the game, now in the profiles menu, you create a new profile, call it what you want, try to avoid giving it the same name as your old profile, because it might overwrite the old .sav file. I haven't tested that yet though. so it might work if you name it the same as the old profile, in any case, before you do anything, MAKE A COPY of the old saved game files from the directory in step 3.

2) exit the game.

3) Now, in Windows VISTA, go to C:\Users\*Your Windows Username*\AppData\Roaming\Ubisoft\Assasin's Creed\Saved Games

in XP, I believe the folder you should find is located in:

C:\Documents & Settings\*Your Windows Username*\Application Data\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed\Saved Games

*Somebody confirm the XP path please, I don't have XP*

PS: make sure to enable visibility of hidden files and folders, because the AppData folder is hidden.

There you will see your old saved game files, named after your old profile. plus you'll see a .hdr file that has a weird filename consisting of a lot of numbers, that was what I saw in my case atleast.

4) rename the .hdr file to match the filename of your old saved games files

For example, if the .hdr filename is 1957383.hdr, and the your old saved game files are called User.sav, User.map, User.opt

then you rename the .hdr file to User.hdr

5) Start the game, chose the profile you created in step 1, and continue your game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shame on ubisoft for such a bug!

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Um... This was already discussed.

USE THE DAMN FIND BUTTON.
Thank you.

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 07:40 AM
link please?

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 08:46 AM
...I didn't think so!

next time USE THE THINK BUTTON.

sorry for the double post.

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Lol. Why would I want to provide a link for you; just use the find button and look at the thread for yourself. Why would I want to do your work for you?

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by the_assassin_07:
Lol. Why would I want to provide a link for you; just use the find button and look at the thread for yourself. Why would I want to do your work for you?

wow, talk about bad comprehension skills..

Because, believe it or not, you're not the only one who knows about the find button, I searched and didn't find anything, that's why I made this thread, and hence "link please", so you can prove me wrong.

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 09:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/9...171036056#9171036056 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/9551036056?r=9171036056#9171036056)

Just read the second post noob.

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Make a backup of your save files, I've heard they still work if you rename them to the new format or something.

LMAO!!.. mr.assasin, are you suggesting people will understand what to do if they read that?
How in GOD'S NAME does that sentence explain everything I explained in my original post?..gah

besides, he's talking about a new format or something

wtf is that?.. there's no new format "or something"... it's a pointer which the uninstaller deletes.

please man, stop pwning yourself. it's getting pathetic.

FYTJ
04-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Mnightscare:
wow, talk about bad comprehension skills..

Because, believe it or not, you're not the only one who knows about the find button, I searched and didn't find anything, that's why I made this thread, and hence "link please", so you can prove me wrong.
What is it with people bickering around because they're being reminded of the forum rules?
Is it just me or are they doing it more and more?

adarwinter
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Um... This was already discussed.

USE THE DAMN FIND BUTTON.
Thank you.

i dont understand why u need to bash someone who only is trying to help others. he isnt asking questions or being annoying. he only tries ot help. show some gratitude and say "thanks for the help. others will likely benefit from your advice, though it has been pointed out in the past in this thread *link*.

Mnightscare
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by FYTJ:
What is it with people bickering around because they're being reminded of the forum rules?
Is it just me or are they doing it more and more?

WTF.. BEACAUSE THE GUY IS AN IDIOT.. there, I said it!.. sorry man, but you people are killing me.. wtf is wrong with you?.. here I am trying to help the community out with a serious bug and all I get in return is ignorant noobs trying to act smart on me.

He would have had a point in pointing out the forum rules if the post that I made HAD BEEN MADE BEFORE.. but as HE HIMSELF SHOWED US, IT HAS NOT.

I did use the find feature before I made this thread, I didn't find any post that contained the content I was about to write, so I went on to write it.

This is the first time such a post is made, thus making his whole point void, explaining why I "bickered" with him.

Thank you very much, this is what I get for trying to help out.

ScytheOfGrim
04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Ugh... ok...

Ignore the oompa loompa...

The assassin like being an idiot to every new member he can, and trying to get the stupidest possible reaction he can out of them.

Now, I think we should all thank Mnightscare for fixing a problem that will probably be asked about in the future, and also for giving us the ability to link this thread to the similar one to appear in the future.

Although some would say that this should have been posted in the "Help/advice" section, I, personally, disagree, as less people would have seen it.

Anyway, thanks for giving us some future linking material.

BTOG46
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
calm down mate, 07 can be a bit.......
but we've got used to it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah I'm famous for it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Ignore the oompa loompa...
Is that your new favourite word or something >.>

dont understand why u need to bash someone who only is trying to help others.
Where in my post did I 'bash' him? Please, I would like to know. If it's the caps, sorry whatever I'm being a **** today.

So, sorry everyone.
End of.

FYTJ
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mnightscare:
WTF.. BEACAUSE THE GUY IS AN IDIOT.. there, I said it!.. sorry man, but you people are killing me.. wtf is wrong with you?.. here I am trying to help the community out with a serious bug and all I get in return is ignorant noobs trying to act smart on me.

He would have had a point in pointing out the forum rules if the post that I made HAD BEEN MADE BEFORE.. but as HE HIMSELF SHOWED US, IT HAS NOT.

I did use the find feature before I made this thread, I didn't find any post that contained the content I was about to write, so I went on to write it.

This is the first time such a post is made, thus making his whole point void, explaining why I "bickered" with him.

Thank you very much, this is what I get for trying to help out.
But you COULD have been less agressive.
I'll explain what I mean:
-First post: You made a new topic. It's useful, yay! Everyone is happy.
-Second post: the_assassin_07 reminds you of the search button. He could've avoided using the word "damn" but it's not such a big deal. Even if you find a big deal, you can still answer in a civilized manner. Especially if you think the_assassin_07 is an idiot: that will make you "rise above" him.
-Third post: You ask for a link which is ok.
-Fourth post: You suddenly go nuts and apologize for the double post(Which actually means "I know I'm supposed to edit my previous post instead but I won't do it.")
That's what I mean by bickering. I just don't understand why people react aggressively when they're reminded to use the search button. Instead, you could've said:
"I don't think there is a topic about this". Even your request for a link would've been enough but "USE THE THINK BUTTON" is an aggressive post. I didn't say your topic wasn't useful. I just wondered why suddenly everybody is reacting like that when reminded of the search button.
If you did use it, you don't need to be aggressive, do you?
Everybody just seems to be yelling at everybody recently... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

lostassassin123
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
And THIS is how a normal helpful thread becomes a flamewar.
Anyone watched resistance 2 trailer? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ScytheOfGrim
04-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Aye...

And let's leave it at that.

There's no need for anyone to reply after this, unless they want some help on the information stated above.

the_assassin_07
04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
But you COULD have been less agressive.
I'll explain what I mean:
-First post: You made a new topic. It's useful, yay! Everyone is happy.
-Second post: the_assassin_07 reminds you of the search button. He could've avoided using the word "damn" but it's not such a big deal. Even if you find a big deal, you can still answer in a civilized manner. Especially if you think the_assassin_07 is an idiot: that will make you "rise above" him.
-Third post: You ask for a link which is ok.
-Fourth post: You suddenly go nuts and apologize for the double post(Which actually means "I know I'm supposed to edit my previous post instead but I won't do it.")
That's what I mean by bickering. I just don't understand why people react aggressively when they're reminded to use the search button. Instead, you could've said:
"I don't think there is a topic about this". Even your request for a link would've been enough but "USE THE THINK BUTTON" is an aggressive post. I didn't say your topic wasn't useful. I just wondered why suddenly everybody is reacting like that when reminded of the search button.
If you did use it, you don't need to be aggressive, do you?
Everybody just seems to be yelling at everybody recently...
Thanks for backing me up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone watched resistance 2 trailer?
Yeah it's... well... it's short but it's a teaser anyway. And it gives you an idea of the storyline.

And now I'm leaving the thread for good.
Bye!

XyZspineZyX
04-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for backing me up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldnt be so quick to thank anyone if I were you, your opening post was as agreesive and unnecessary as the later responses. I would suggest ALL need to calm down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mnightscare thanks for the info, everyone else back on topic please. Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif