PDA

View Full Version : PF running with Java on Linux?

kirenpillay
03-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Is PF a java-based app?

If so, shouldn't it be easy to port to Linux as is (bar a few unknown VM differences between OSes)? What size of development effort is required for this, it would be interesting to try out?

Regards

kirenpillay
03-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Is PF a java-based app?

If so, shouldn't it be easy to port to Linux as is (bar a few unknown VM differences between OSes)? What size of development effort is required for this, it would be interesting to try out?

Regards

WWSensei
03-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Possible to run it under wine. Not possible to run it under Linux direct. While a good portion of the code is in java they also directly link with several Windows only libraries.

Also, it is also very possible to write platform specific Java code. Doing something in java doesn't always make it automatically multi-platform--Sun's little secret they don't like to advertise a lot. For example, for performance reasons even they came up with JIT compilers--which are very os/hardware specific.

Not saying you can't write totally portable Java. Just saying that it isn't a given.

Schniposa
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
I have PF running with Ubuntu Linux and Wine. It runs suprisingly smooth but something is still wrong with the sound.

Apart from that I had to modify one of the Java library classes where an uncaught exception crashed PF on startup. As far as I can remember I replaced the build in JVM by a newer one before.

The above mentioned exception occured in one of the logging classes when trying to retrieve the current date.

Cheers,
Schniposa