PDA

View Full Version : Use on a laptop? Intel 945GM Express?

Tourmalyn
11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I REALLY want to get CMXI. That said, does it REALLY require the more advanced graphics chips to play this game? I mean, come on. It is chess!

I want this game on my laptop so that I can play while traveling (it is a long flight from the states to London). Unfortunately, there is no "buy it and try it" deal out there. If I buy it and it doesn't work on my laptop I am simply out $50 (which is another whole gripe of mine). Is there maybe a demo so that I could see if my laptop is good enough to run CMXI?

Also, what about CMX? Is the chipset in the subject line good enough to run CMX?

Thanks!

Tourmalyn
11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I REALLY want to get CMXI. That said, does it REALLY require the more advanced graphics chips to play this game? I mean, come on. It is chess!

I want this game on my laptop so that I can play while traveling (it is a long flight from the states to London). Unfortunately, there is no "buy it and try it" deal out there. If I buy it and it doesn't work on my laptop I am simply out $50 (which is another whole gripe of mine). Is there maybe a demo so that I could see if my laptop is good enough to run CMXI?

Also, what about CMX? Is the chipset in the subject line good enough to run CMX?

Thanks!

EdwardsNH
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Really, that's just for the 3D boards (Which I still can't stand). I'm using this on a PIII 733 with an ancient on board graphics chip. It runs fine.

I did try using the battle set, just to see it. It brought my 'puter to a near halt. But if you're like me, and have no desire to use anything but the 2D sets, then you'll never notice a difference. Well... the start up splash screen kills my system, but beyond that, no problems.

Tourmalyn
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
You say you are using the 3d boards on your 915GM. Is that CMX or XI?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Tourmalyn
11-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Ahhh. Thanks. I downloaded the X demo to my laptop and it worked, albeit using OpenGL and not DirectX (I assume the same goes for you). I have DirectX installed, but I am assuming the Intel chipset doesn't support the necessary features the demo is trying to utilize.

I guess as long as XI supports the same idea of using OpenGL vs DirectX, I should be ok.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tourmalyn
11-16-2007, 02:25 PM
So maybe it was just my screen resolution in that case. I was HIGH resolution and widescreen. I brought it down to 1024x768 and it ran in directx mode.