PDA

View Full Version : best way to use the german prototype units...

richjones1977
10-05-2010, 04:08 AM
hi everytime i use the wirblewind,maus and wurfrahmen i get mullerd the maus is too slow to react to anything the wirblewind seems to have no arma and an this seems to be the case with the wurfrahmen are these units effective or am i not using them in the correct way?

Axe99
10-05-2010, 04:50 AM
The Whirbelwind is AA sex on a stick (well, if quad AA guns are your thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) - it's got 45mm armour, which is pretty good vs most things, however it won't be able to stand toe-to-toe with a tank or most other ground-to-ground armoured vehicles (and will get shredded by AT).

I find the best way to use these is either dotted around my base (for base defense), or a pile of 5-8 (numbers depending on expected enemy air presence) supporting an armoured stack.

The Maus is ridiculously slow, 20km/hr. Only used it twice, for larks, and on both occasions wasn't sold. My favourite German Armoured unit is the Panther, then the Tiger and JagdPanther.

That said, if you can keep enemy fighter-bombers off it, the Maus is the toughest armoured unit in the game. Just be prepared for your better opponents to take advantage of its slow speed. If you like Super-heavy tanks, the US T-95 goes a full 10km/hr quicker.

The Wurfrahmen only has vehicle armour, so it'll get shredded by pretty much anything (fighters/fighter-bombers/artillery), but it's the most powerful artillery unit in the game, and with a range of 1km, as long as your opponent doesn't single it out with longer-range artillery (which they may well do) and you are covered against air attack, it's devastating. But against more experienced opponents, you'll probably want some longer range counter-arty (unless you're right up against their base), and air cover.

Just my two cents - I'm probs just a bit above average when it comes to RUSE. If Gunnersmate has anything to say, it's well worth listening to - he's got experience to burn, and knows how to use it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Painthreshold
10-05-2010, 05:46 AM
I have never really liked maus tanks, they seem too slow for my liking.... I have enough trouble getting spare tigers to reinforce my line quickly.

Like everything in this game you should not use a unit in isolation, i think a puma recon, jagdpather, tiger tank, wherbellwinds and the german rocket tanks are a amazing combination that have constantly allowed me to win the day

GunnersMate07
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
If you are talking 1v1, building a prototype base should generally be avoided unless you are late in the game, or you are winning handily.

Its simply too expensive, and there is nothing 'super' about the units. They still have the exact same counters as less expensive varieties. So sure the maus looks it will demolish everything in its path, until it runs into 3 $10 AT guns. Or 3 fighter-bombers which can quickly be teched when your opponent realizes you are getting a prototype base and sees the maus plodding along.

Even the wirbelwind which is a fantastic AA unit, is not worth the cost of the prototype (at least in a 1v1, in a 2v2 sure but those arent real games because of the unit cap). If its AA you need, you could instead be building an airstrip for ME-109's AND an arty building for some static AA for the price of one wirbelwind.

So yes, you will have trouble using prototype units because they are not really special. The game is about counters, and the counters don't really change at all whether the unit is coming from the armor base/AA-arty building/ or the prototype base. Every unit has a counter. Therefore cost and the ability to control the map are the most important considerations in the game.

Joppsta
10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
The German proto base is only really useful for the Morser or the Wirbel in my opinion... and even then, the Wirbel isn't accomplishing anything a good airbase won't do for you and the Morser is just a big fat juicy target for the enemy to pop.

Armour base + Air field are probably the better choice when it comes to Germany, you'll need a barracks too for recon unless you're wanting to research and deploy a few Storch.

I think the best bet with Germany is to get tigers or panthers on the go, Panzer IV's at least. Upgrade to Panthers or go for the tigers when the going gets tough ...

I prefer using heavy armour to counter heavy armour as Germany (probably one of my weaknesses as a player, i guess) instead of the better one which would be getting an armour base and just getting a metric ****load of pak guns out. I very rarely use the AT base, makes me wonder if i should use it more perhaps.

But as has been said by Gunner, the proto base should never really be built in 1v1, unless you've got a very dominant presence. I was playing someone earlier who had my balls against the wall, more or less, resource advantage and everything.. yet i managed to win purely because i played smarter than he did. I kicked out artillery and used structures to my advantage (he did too, to be fair with him, not artillery so much though). Spammed jacksons against me, which was probably his worst mistake. If he had used Shermans i may have been in trouble, since i didn't have a very strong AT presence, at least.. strong enough to destroy a metric tonne of Shermans. May have forced me to go AT if he did that, which i wouldn't have enjoyed doing.

Makes me wonder what he was thinking when he was playing though.

The US are definitely at an advantage with that willys though, I bloody wish the Kubelwagen was $5.

InfiniteStates
10-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Joppsta:
...strong enough to destroy a metric tonne of Shermans.
Isn't that, like, 1/30th of a Sherman? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Painthreshold
10-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Ha Ha jopstta you have the same problem as me, because i don't build an AT base at all usually in my games. If its a smaller map on my 1v1 i usually build 3 depots, a barracks and a armor base... Build armoured recon to go sit next to a supply depot to kill the trucks, they usually build light tanks in response and by this time i have the medium tigers.

In all honesty i have never really liked the maus, i hardly upgrade to king tigers as it is.... I try and play Blitzkrieg tactics but i do like the whirls especially later game against British players.

Earlier i played a game against britain and the Whirls got me so many points, he kept sending bombers at my tiger tanks and my whirls just blew them up. He wasnt the best player in the world and against better players prototype bases usually become useless i think.

Why_You_Eat_Me
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I think the wirbelwind is s***. the maus gets beaten by the t-26 and the wurfrahmen gets owned by a velloce. (this is to annoy red)

AverageSoldier
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
To be fair the vehicle armour makes the wurfrahmen able to be killed by a voloce, and its the fastest tankette so it actually has a chance.

http://www.gruselglatz.com/gallery/var/resizes/troll-dad.png?m=1312889445

The last post was 06th Oct last year, you posted 04 Oct this year, should've waited two more days.

Redbanana27
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Why_You_Eat_Me:
I think the wirbelwind is s***. the maus gets beaten by the t-26 and the wurfrahmen gets owned by a velloce. (this is to annoy red)

How would this to annoy me... Except the fact its a year old post. I mean cmon! Maus gettn beat by a t-26 sou ds awesome

Why_You_Eat_Me
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I took a 1 year old post seeing as it had so much meaning

Redbanana27
10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
^^^i said it was one year old ^^^