PDA

View Full Version : sky detail question

mangadrive
04-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Athalon 1800+
1gig DDR
Gforce FX 5500 (66.93 and 71.84)
SB Audigy 2 ZS

I know its not the most beefy rig out there but I have no qualms with any games and im familar enough with comps to run all the tricks to get things smooth. The game looks great and I have no performance loss to speak of cept in High time compression and I found out pretty quick over 128 is kinda dangerous anyway (darn planes!).

The only thing is the sky seems 'banded'. It kinda reminds me of the old atari games where they used ROYGBV bars to emulate a sunset. I have this kinda disc over the horizon in clear skys and every looks real mottled and it doesnt blend. The transition from dark to light skies would be a line of dark blue fading into a line of light blue so to speak. Its even present at night. I've noticed when the sky is cloudy it will cover it up. I was actually in a thunderstorm off the English channel and was blown away by the lightning and such. The closest thing I've found to a 'fix' suggestion was changing the desktop icon and that really doesnt fit into the catagory of what I'm seeing. Is this just a budget card thing or something more global to the games coding?

stereophobia2
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I doubt its your card thats the proble, im running the next model down from yours (FX 5200) and the same processor, it easily matches all of the posted screeshots I've seen and without a loss of FPS except in full time compression

wAr_m0nkey
04-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Do you have aniostropic filtering turned on? I noticed that with my 6800 GT that the sky got funky looking and all molted like you're talking about with it on. Dunno why.

mangadrive
04-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the replies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ive tried 2x - 4x.. various AF/AA settings. Its not a huge deal at all I was just curious. Like I said in a cloudy sky its really not even evident. I just changed a bunch of drivers in and out trying to work a sound bug out and I hadnt experienced a true clear sky and it kinda made me wonder. It doesnt kill my gaming experience. I'm talking about atari games so that gives my age away a bit and I've never really been a graphics die hard. Its all about the gameplay!

This sim is so great though. I remember the era of 486 sims like LHX, chuck yeager air combat, F119 and so many others and over the years the military sims have been far and few between. Its great to see someone go retro with it.. I know I'm sounding kinda like new age heretic but I wish they would consier a modern era game.. Janes attack sub was kinda thin compared to this.. I never got Aces of the Deep so this is so great to me!..

*back to the english channel*

mangadrive
04-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Also after noting a few peoples screenshots I can see its evident for others as well. Not a biggie at all. I'm about to upgrade to a full gaming rig and I was gunna go ahead and get my vid card if it made a difference but I can live with it.

Kpt_Zig
04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
I've mentioned it previously, it looks like the skybox is textured with a bunch of tiles. An FPS-saving lo-rez solution I guess. FX5900Ultra here.

Paajtor_61ShAP
04-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Hey, Zig....I see you're enjoying this awesome new sim just as much as I do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

When will your site be ready?

deckchair5
04-10-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm running AMD2300 512mb ram with GFX 5500 128mb. I couldn't get on with the latest 76.** I think drivers and went back to the 66.** . I have in game video settings reduced particle down to 70% only to prevent NVidia UZO spray wash out but graphics have always been nothing but superb. Have you tried unchecking video synchronisation?

indylavi
04-10-2005, 03:28 AM
I think I know what he's talking about. It's just the way the sky is made. On a clear day if I look straight up I can actually see how the tiles come together. It looks like a Tee-Pee with these flaps meeting at the top point. It's not a problem unless I look all the way up though

Sparhawk162
04-10-2005, 03:31 AM
My System

Windows XP Pro + SP1

AMD Athlon 3000+ Processor O/c to 3200+

ASUS A7N8X Motherboard with Nvidia Chipset

MSI NT6800GT AGP Graphics Card (256Mb)

Creative Labs Audigy 2 F/wire (model no.sb0240)

1024 Mb DDR 400 (Dane Elec)

60+40+13 Gig Hard Drives

Pioneer DVR 108 (16x Dual layer DVD Writer)

I also get this banding in the sky with AF turned on. Going to turn it off and see if it gets rid of the banding. If i turn on AA i also lose the Suns corona.

mangadrive
04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
You can see what im talking about in this. It isfrom the guy that did the manual TDC tutorial (which i found i really handy).

http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/inbound1.jpg

Look the right of the SC and you will notice how there is a sphere in the upper-right corner which starts a 'band' effect to the left.

AA/AF had no bearing on it for me after double checking. I have to agree that its just coded that way on a 2-d plane. I've noticed the sun's location has a great deal to do with it even at night because at midnight the sky will become crystal clear, but in the twilight hours its closer the same effect with different shades of black/blue...

alanschu
04-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Not that I blame them.

It's likely simple and works quite well.

To be honest I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.

Kpt_Zig
04-11-2005, 03:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paajtor_61ShAP:
Hey, Zig....I see you're enjoying this awesome new sim just as much as I do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

When will your site be ready? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Paj, good to see you mate! SH3 DiD is already up and running, just click the link above my sigtag. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paajtor_61ShAP
04-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Rgr that...will take a look around.

Cheers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif