PDA

View Full Version : PE-2 Discussion

Breeze147
07-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I finally started the "Front Lines" offline campaign, even though I've had PE-2 from Day 1.

I find it very easy to fly. Landing is relatively easy. The bombsight is nice. I still have a helluva time getting aligned to the target. It is possible to dogfight.

I find it reliable. I was far behind the formation on one mission and was jumped by a lone 109. I manuevered to get my gunners a good shot, and even though he blew off one my stabs, my gunners scared him off and I managed to set down (albeit with sweaty palms) at an alternate field.

My biggest problem is keeping up with the formation. I have tried every trick I know to pick up speed, but the AI still pulls away. I have fiddled with every combination of throttle and pitch, rad settings, supercharger, mix, trim, et al. They still continuously pull away. I can make up time by cutting off the corners, but I would rather be with the formation all the way.

Note that I am one of those stubborn bastards that insist on starting campaigns at the lowest rank.

Breeze147
07-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I finally started the "Front Lines" offline campaign, even though I've had PE-2 from Day 1.

I find it very easy to fly. Landing is relatively easy. The bombsight is nice. I still have a helluva time getting aligned to the target. It is possible to dogfight.

I find it reliable. I was far behind the formation on one mission and was jumped by a lone 109. I manuevered to get my gunners a good shot, and even though he blew off one my stabs, my gunners scared him off and I managed to set down (albeit with sweaty palms) at an alternate field.

My biggest problem is keeping up with the formation. I have tried every trick I know to pick up speed, but the AI still pulls away. I have fiddled with every combination of throttle and pitch, rad settings, supercharger, mix, trim, et al. They still continuously pull away. I can make up time by cutting off the corners, but I would rather be with the formation all the way.

Note that I am one of those stubborn bastards that insist on starting campaigns at the lowest rank.

Crash_Moses
07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, what works for me is to level out right after take off, build up some speed, and then start climbing to follow my wing leader.

Also, I don't point my airplane right at the airplane I'm trying to follow. I aim for a point a little below and as I catch up I slowly increase the rate of climb. I usually catch up before we've made one circuit of the airfield.

Opening your radiator will slow you down but it sounds like you've already figured that out. The supercharger is only for high altitude flight. Trim is your friend. Keep the ball in your turn/slip indicator centered. Poorly trimmed rudder can really kill your top speed.

Practice. Practice, practice, practice. If you still have problems then try editing the mission file and lowering the speed of the lead plane. Of course, you might miss some rendezvous... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joeap
07-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Or you could take the easy way out and use the AP. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Not much of a challenge though.