PDA

View Full Version : OMG - don€t laugh I'm new to this (sort of)

philtb
10-14-2005, 03:53 AM
So quick history lesson€¦..the last flight sim I played was microprose€s F-19 stealth fighter on my Amiga, when was that? Late 80€s I think. God I almost shudder when I think it€s not far from 20 years ago, wow€¦..anyhow.

Most of my computer gaming since has been console based, although in the last 2-3 years I€ve had a pc€¦..€I need one for work dear, you can use it too€ ahem.

I like a mixture of most games and have been playing mostly over the last 12+ months Rome TW, HL2, EVE (excellent but I have one life already), WOW, 40K DOW, BF2, silent hunter 3 (an excellent sub sim)€¦.

So there I was walking round the shops to find PF available for 9€¦..bargin I thought, why not, ages since I€ve flown, so suitable joystick purchase later and I€m at home, patch the thing up and go.

Hhhhmmmm€¦. What an awful front end this game has, almost seems like an afterthought, not very immersive in terms of putting you there. Little touches can go a long way in this regard in terms of €˜being there€. Take silent hunter for example the front end is your office on dry land where you access all manner of stuff to do with the on going campaign. Leaving port, families by the dockside waving off your crew, like I say little things.

Any way back to PF and why I€m here (and why I bought it) the flying. The training section is a bit of a joke, watch a movie? What€s all that about? You can€t even alter the view to get any hints or tips, oh well let€s start with a quick mission, take off€¦..how hard can it be.

Here's where the OMG from my topic title comes from€¦.jesus, talk about learning curve. Unfortunately for me I€m one of these people who likes a challenge in gaming, I've never understood people who buy a game and also the game guide and cant remember the last time I played a game of any sort on easy level. So, with the difficulty set to the middle setting (cant remember what its called), off I went to take my crate into the wild blue yonder. Except€¦.

The only blueness I found was the ocean, a few times I never even got that far and even managed to park my plane on the flight deck resting tail up parked on its front wheels and nose. Okay leave taking off for the moment, it is quite hazardous any how, so quick mission builder start me off in flight. Waayhey I€m airborne, not for long mind you, okay few more goes and I can keep it in the sky€¦.now lets try some manoeuvring some different things, which was the flaps button? €˜press€ ahh that was the fold wings button. Right getting the hang of this now, lets introduce some friendly planes, see if I can fly in formation with them. Not a cat in hells chance, I did see them momentarily, few more goes still can€t fly along side them smoothly but at least I can keep them in sight. Next stage try and shoot them, it astonishes me that guys actually flew these things 50 years ago, then proceeded to take them into combat with what 10-15 secs of offensive capability. Think ill just flick that infinite ammo option for a while just until I hit something (it€s a pity its either realistic or infinite, would have been nice to have a multiplayer option of say 2 times as much ammo or 4,6, 8 etc)

So advice is what I€m after not just to tell you all a tale. So I€m trimming the difficulty options, which ones are advisable to bin first and slowly introduce as I gain some experience, and also some advice on mission building is there any where I can look for advice or any simple ones pre-made I can download to at least have some sort of objective to achieve while I learn to fly.

All considered though I am enjoying it so far, although graphically I must say the world seems a little empty even though I have everything set to max€¦€¦

Ho hum so many questions so little space

One final one any good guides on multi play, servers etc. not yet I'm a liability, might as well do the ground work for it though.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Fornixx
10-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Im at work and don't really have the time for a long answer or advice (besides other people here do it better) but I'd nevertheless like to wish you welcome to the game and to the forums! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you give it a little time and have the interest you'll love the game.

S!

LW_lcarp
10-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Welcome to the IL2 series yep learning curve is rough but once ya get the hang of it its not so bad.

As far as missions are concerned try the mission builders forum located http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=50910533

Then for online you will find most people here http://hyperfighter.sk/

Keep up the training and good luck

philtb
10-14-2005, 05:17 AM
oh quick question while i remember

how do i change the kph and hieght in meters

to mph or knots and hieght in feet

im to old for this metric lark

ElAurens
10-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Welcome!

You should consider getting Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack and do a complete merged install with Pacific Fighters.

This will open up the world considerably, both on and off line.

nakamura_kenji
10-14-2005, 05:54 AM
"oh quick question while i remember

how do i change the kph and hieght in meters

to mph or knots and hieght in feet

im to old for this metric lark"

there key you define in control option ^_^ welcome

Skycat_2
10-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by philtb:
So I€m trimming the difficulty options, which ones are advisable to bin first and slowly introduce as I gain some experience, and also some advice on mission building is there any where I can look for advice or any simple ones pre-made I can download to at least have some sort of objective to achieve while I learn to fly.

You've already found the unlimited ammunition option, and of course there is the "vulnerability" option that, when turned off, makes you impervious to bullets and flak. "Realistic Landings", when turned off, basically makes your plane a rubber ball and you'll bounce off the ground no matter how you hit.

Personally, I make sure these options are toggled off (the lamp next to them is not lit) when I play offline:
- Torque and Gyro effects
- Flutter effect
- Cockpit always on
- No External views
- No Icons
- No Padlock
- No Instant Success
- No Map Icons
- No Minimap Path
- No Speedbar.

Additionally, if you're having trouble with taking off and just want to be airborne at the start of the mission, you can disable "Takeoff and Landing." Disabling "Complex Engine Management" makes the game take control of fuel mixture and radiators and maybe the prop pitch so you don't have to worry about it.

Object density is typically sparse to give better frame rates. You can increase the density over default with an edit to the configuration .ini file I believe; instructions on how to do that should be in the game's 'read me' document. Generally speaking, however, vehicles and other non-permanent ground objects are placed only along your designated flight path so if you were looking for a continuous front line to bomb that might be why you're finding the IL-2 world to be empty.

I've got some links in my signature that should help you get started. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
welcome, best tips i can really offer is to be smooth on the controls, and learn to use the trim, which will help alot as u wont be fighting hte planehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flying_Nutcase
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Welcome!

As mentionedabove , you'll want to get the merged install (you need the Forgotten Battles Gold Pack, which includes the Ace Expansion Pack).

I'd keep all the flight options switched on. You'll soon get a feel for what's okay and what's not. I spent hours and hours practising a bunch of basic maneuvres like rolls and hammerheads. It was good fun, even without any combat.

You should get acquainted with the Full Mission Builder. It'll expand your horizons immeasurably. My sig links to some visual tutorials.

This is a great game with an awesome community. Good luck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MPHagen
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Philtb,

should you wish to try multiplayer with a group of guys willing to help.
Join the VMF215 server from hyperlobby.

They are just a great bunch of guys to fly with.

VMF215_Finch

Bearcat99
10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Look at this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4591089933/r/4591089933#4591089933). Do the merge. Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig. Keep all flight and CEM options on. Practice.

carguy_
10-15-2005, 03:05 AM
My general advice is to go online asap.It speeds up learning quite nicely.You can fly with friends,ask them to observe your flying,give you instructions,etc.

You also have to fly with all difficulty settings on with [cockpit always on,airstart,realistic landings,no icons,no padlock,no minimap path] being optional.

BoozerEX
10-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Welcome to the machine m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well, the guys have already given you plenty of hints. Mine is: buy the original old Il2 Sturmovik game(shouldn't be more than 5 quid). Set difficulty to "HARD". Practice off-line for a week (take-offs, landings, shooting down big unarmed bombers). Then go back to your PF - you will find the flight model childishly easy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Greetings

Booze

PS: I totally agree with the advice of purchasing the whole set (FB+AEP) in addition to your PF. Helluva difference. Have fun!

jds1978
10-15-2005, 07:03 AM
as has been stated above: turn CEM on...i spent my first week w/ the game with it off and couldn't catch a thing. it took me a couple of days to figure it out, but it's not that tough and allows you to get full performace out of your crate

VW-IceFire
10-15-2005, 07:22 AM
The beginnings of getting into this game are hard and the immersion isn't there right away...but rest assured this is the best WWII combat simulator around.

Ask as many questions as you need...this community can help you solve the problems. We almost always have.