PDA

View Full Version : ACB - Game unplayable - Slow performance

Azmodaios
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I have tried everything I can think of to fix it but the game's performance is so slow (the fps rate is like a powerpoint presentation ! ) that the game is literaly UNPLAYABLE !

The PC specs are
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit (service pack 2)
Grafics card : ATI HD 4800 (latest drivers installed)
Memory : 8GB
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz
Direct-X 11

The ingame options I have tryed are from all setings to the lowest, to all seting to the highest.. No change !
I remevoed and reinstaled the game.. no change !
I closed aaaaaallll other applications running.. no change !
Prayed to God... no change !!
Updated Windows, drivers, direct-x... no change !

any ideas?

(and no, this did not happen in other games. it runs so badly it reminds of my 486.!!)
(AC and AC2 played like a charm)

KingDaniel0
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Azmodaios:
ACB - Game unplayable - Slow performance

By any chance do you have ASUS GamerOSD and SmartDoctor tools installed on your PC ? Try to un-install and remove these apps, as they have known to create a Lag with some of the PC games. How much FPS do you actually get ?

Do you have a STEAM copy of this game ? Have you also tried playing the game only on 2 CPU cores, though ACB should run fine under a Quad-Core Processor. But disable 2 cores, and then check the in-game performance/FPS.

As a side note also check your CPU Heatsink, and make sure there is no dust on top of the CPU as well as GPU fan.

-------------------------------------------

Azmodaios
07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I dont have any of those apps.
The game is a "normal" PC DVD rom
The vacuum clener took care of any posibble dust :-)
No idea how to check the ingame frp and I dont think I knwon how to disable 2 cores.. :-(

KingDaniel0
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM

No idea how to check the ingame frp and I dont think I knwon how to disable 2 cores.. :-(

You can check the in-game fps by using FRAPS. http://www.fraps.com/download.php

To play the game on 2 CPU cores, you can try this method which I'm giving below. But doing this may or may not have any effect on the Game. Your PC specs are fine, so you should be able to play this game easily.

After you have loaded the Game's Main Menu, Open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL/CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and Click on the Processes Tab. On the Processes tab, at the bottom click on the 'Show processes from all users' Button. Now Right click the process i.e. ACBSP.exe, and Click on the 'Set Affinity' option, and then 'Uncheck' any 2 boxes labelled as CPU 0, CPU 1 etc., and click on the OK button.

But first Launch the game and then press 'ALT-TAB' to go back to the desktop, and now open the Task Manager, and follow the above method. Press 'ALT-TAB' to go back to the game.

**Another method: Insert the following command inside the Target line at the game's Shortcut TAB. Make a Shortcut of the game's .EXE and insert the following command (Right-click---->Go to properties---->Shortcut TAB):

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /HIGH /affinity 3 ACBSP.exe

This will allow the game to run on High priority, and only on 2 CPU cores. As a side note, also update and install the DirectX 9 runtime files from Microsoft's Website.

-------------------------------------------

Azmodaios
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
On a Good track

Updated Direct-X 9 (June 2010)--> Slight improvment 15fps (menu ang game)
Running on 4 cores 20-30 fps menu and game
Running on 2 cores 60 fps menu 40 (average) in game (varies from 35-60, moslty around 40)
Setting se to 3, shdows 1, no Multisampling, resolution 1920*1080 (lower resolution makes no change)
Disabling the second monitor (Desktop expansion) makes the game a bit more smooth

Well it is playable now.. still does not run as AC2 or AC. Are these specs normall for my system configuration?
Anything we can do to make it a bit better?

Thanks!

Azmodaios
07-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Well the final outcome is that the game has a rather playable fps now, but now it freezes for about a second way too often.
I still think that this is not a matter of hardware capabilities. There is something more sinister here at play :-).

justinpunny
07-07-2011, 02:58 AM
I still think that this is not a matter of hardware capabilities. There is something more sinister here at play :-).

Your specs are fine as KingDaniel also told, but we can't say for sure that this lag is not related to your Hardware (Video card, RAM, CPU etc.).

I mean, sometimes but not always, it could also be a hardware issue. I once faced this same issue with AC2, but my all other games were working fine. So the cause for this was that my CPU was not getting proper cooling. I'm not sure how my CPU was only affecting AC2 game.

I replaced the HeatSink/fan, and applied some thermal gel, and then after this I could easily play AC2 with HIGH fps. But this is just my case, an example. It may or may not apply to you, or anybody else's hardware.

Azmodaios
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
ok.
Replaced my CPU heat sink fan and cleaned it. the system now runs at 10o lower than before whne idle (yea the previous one was crappy)
ummm.
no change :-(
game freezes often and it seems it has trouble "keeping up" with the cinematics

ARustyFirePlace
07-09-2011, 01:40 PM
4800 isn't a graphics card bro.

justinpunny
07-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by ARustyFirePlace:
4800 isn't a graphics card bro.

What do you mean the 4800 isn't a Video card ? That's the 48xx series of ATI cards, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the OP didn't mention the exact Video Card Model, but his PC specs are OK.

Azmodaios
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
4800 plays Crysis 2 max out.. so it is a pretty good video card.
By the way, I think I have managed a way to solve the problem, but i will need to talk privatelty with a moderator.
Please sent me a mail... I think there might be a problem with some DVD "versions".

justinpunny
07-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by KingDaniel0:
As a side note, also update and install the DirectX 9 runtime files from Microsoft's Website.

Yes, updating the latest DirectX9 files has also given me slight performance Gain/FPS improvement in ALL my PC games. (Earlier I only used to install these files from the game disk).

THANKS a lot.