PDA

View Full Version : Bf110's 37mm has HE rounds?

Vrabac
10-13-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm just wondering is this ok. Because Ju87G has AP rounds that don't produce any explosion, they appear like normal bullets when hitting ground or even a target (unless target explodes of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), while 110's 37mm rounds seem to produce a HE effect. Maybe it's just visual appearence, but I have a feeling that 110s gun is less powerful than Ju87's, and maybe this is the cause. I know Ju87 has two of them, but still...

So, is it correct for 110 to have HE rounds in the optional 37mm anti tank gun?

Fox_3
10-13-2005, 06:16 AM
110 has HE rounds for bomber intercepts.

tigertalon
10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Ju87 37mm cannons cannons have only antiarmour AP rounds (12 each), Bf110 37mm gunpod has only antibomber HE rounds (72 shells if memory serves me well).

Irish_JG26
10-13-2005, 08:10 AM
S~

I have noticed that the AP rounds from the JU87 seem to be very ineffective against most Russian medium or heavy tanks even when multiple direct hits are scored. It works well against various soft targets but then so does a 20mm.

I have seen the actual 37mm cannon rounds and they are truly impressive to look at. One would expect that they would take out most tanks since the pilot is attacking the weakest armor on the top and/rear portions of the tanks as well as the tracks on the sides.

I know the T34 was a very good tank and that it was one of if not the first tank to use sloping armor, etc. Yet, the very sloping armor that made it tougher to ground based AP rounds works against it when attacked at a typical aerial angle of attack thus allowing the Jabo fired AP round to impact the armored plate at much closer to perpendicular angles resulting is higher energy transfer, fewer richocettes and greater potential for penetration, etc.

This so called tank-buster round as been a "Bust" for me. I don't claim to be a great air to ground gunner but I can consistently hit the tgt and still see much more failure than success. Should that be the case? What are the probabilities for a successful kill of a T34 using the 37mm AP round?

Irish

AnaK774
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Ingame, line up with target from behind at about 900m, shoot from 40+ degree dive to engine covering. If u miss, circle and climb back to repeat, if u hit, circle and swap to next tasty t34.

Aaron_GT
10-13-2005, 08:37 AM
I have seen the actual 37mm cannon rounds and they are truly impressive to look at. One would expect that they would take out most tanks since the pilot is attacking the weakest armor on the top and/rear portions of the tanks as well as the tracks on the sides.

The attack is at a relatively oblique angle, though, increasing effective armour values.

Vrabac
10-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by tigertalon:
Ju87 37mm cannons cannons have only antiarmour AP rounds (12 each), Bf110 37mm gunpod has only antibomber HE rounds (72 shells if memory serves me well).

Aaaah, so the 3.7 cm version is actually a bomber buster? LOL I thought it's meant to be anti tank gun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

About Ju87G, it can kill T34s easily, one shot one kill, just aproach from the back and under certain angle. Not necesarilly too steep.

I noticed 110's 37mm is more or less useful against tanks up to medium, it CAN kill T34, but harder than Ju87. It's also less stable in my experience than Ju87 so it's a bit harder to hit.

Just thought it might be a mistake, I guess I was wrong. Thanks for clearing it for me.

JuHa-
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
AHA!

This explained a thing or two to me - Thank you!

FritzGryphon
10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
I have noticed that the AP rounds from the JU87 seem to be very ineffective against most Russian medium or heavy tanks even when multiple direct hits are scored. It works well against various soft targets but then so does a 20mm.

The BK3.7 can kill anything up to heavy tanks in PF.

Like IRL, you must attack weak areas of the tank. Firing at the front or sides of most tanks will not be effective. It is, after all, just a 37mm gun, and not a great one at that.

For example, the KV1 can be destroyed by striking the top turret at a steep angle. T-34s, anywhere on the top. From close ranges. The same tactics were necessary in real life.

Kocur_
10-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Vrabac:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:

Aaaah, so the 3.7 cm version is actually a bomber buster? LOL I thought it's meant to be anti tank gun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it was modified 3,7cm Flak18 ground AA gunhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Ammo determines what to use it against.

F19_Ob
10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
This inteview should give some info about the stukas ammo. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TANK-BUSTING STUKA PILOT (http://www.tarrif.net/wwii/interviews/hermann_neumann.htm)

exerpt from the article:

Neumann: I got 68 tanks. I got about 30 with bombs and the rest with the cannons.

MH: What was your favorite method of attacking the tanks?

Neumann: It depended. The T-34 had sloping armor so we had to attack it from a high angle and then it was like cheesecake. So for the T-34, from the front was best. I considered the Joseph Stalin the toughest. We first met them around the end of 1944. It had some special armor on it. On top of its regular armor it had some metal studs with some light armor plate attached to it. Our ammunition would not actually hit through but melt through. Thus, when it would hit the light armor it would melt through it but would not be able to melt through the main armor.

MH: How would you attack a Stalin?

Neumann: The Stalin you could only hit between the turret and the body. They did not have the secondary armor there. One guy from our unit was shot down in January 1945, and the infantry had one that had been knocked out so, he got a chance to inspect it. After that, we readjusted our guns to 100 meters. Before that they had been adjusted to 400 meters. We had to go down very low in order to hit the Stalin at the right spot. It was a very small target.

MH: How much danger was there at 100 meters if the tank would blow up? Would you not have to fly through the debris?

Neumann: After we fired out cannons, we would go to the right or left, but we did not directly fly over the tank. One time a Sergeant Ott was shooting at a Russian Klimenti Voroshilov KV-2 heavy tank that was in between a farm house and a barn. The KV-2 had a big square turret and heavy armor. Ott went down and shot but nothing happened. So he said, "OK, if it does not explode I will make so many holes in it that it will not be any good anymore!" So he went down again and when he was very close to the tank it exploded. The turret flew over his canopy. When we got back to the base he was shaking and kept saying, "I saw the turret over the top of my canopy!"

MH: How low would you have to fly to destroy a tank?

Neumann: For the Stalin we had to fly at 20 or 30 feet...(at) about 300 kilometers per hour. We would be flying that low for maybe five to 10 seconds. If you got them in your sights you only really needed a second or two. Remember, for the Stalin, our guns were adjusted for 100 meters. So, we had to get close to them.

Badsight.
10-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Neumann: For the Stalin we had to fly at 20 or 30 feet...(at) about 300 kilometers per hour. We would be flying that low for maybe five to 10 seconds. If you got them in your sights you only really needed a second or two. Remember, for the Stalin, our guns were adjusted for 100 meters. So, we had to get close to them. well its no wonder some Tankers managed to shoot planes during WW2 if this is how some pilots attacked

p1ngu666
10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
ya
i think there maybe a bug where ordinace is less effective against stuff online... before it used tobe harder to take down planes online, about 2x the number of bullets, but now it is easy, but in coops, tanks have become much harder to hit and kill