PDA

View Full Version : Exploring wreck sunken ships in last years

Danelov
08-19-2006, 07:22 AM
With the development of the technologies in the submarine and arqueological exploration in the last years, many wrecks of famous ships were finded,localised and documented.The phenomen had take a lot of speed after the discovery of R.Ballard of the Titanic wreck in the 80s.Today a lot of ships, before maybe impossible to reach, were finded and misterious about his disaparition resolved.
Some famous warships wrecks discovered and documented in the last years:

-Battleship Bismarck
-BattleCruiser Scharnhorst
-Battlecruiser Hood
-Battleship Yamato
-Battleship Fuso and Yamashiro
-Battleship Kirishima
-Several Heavy cruisers and destroyers at the
Iron Bottom sound at Guadalcanal.
-Aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal
-Aircraft carrier CV-5 Yorktown
-Aircraft carrier Kaga

Other ships with sink positions well known were explored,photographed,documented and sometimes artifacts were removed of the wreck.

-Battleship Tirpirtz remmants
-Heavy cruiser Blucher
-Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen
-Admiral Graf Spee
-The Truk lagoon IJN ships
-The Bikini atomic test sunken fleet
-The destroyers and cargos sunken at Narvik

Others are declared war graves and protected.Only photography allowed and under special request.

-HMS Prince of Wales
-HMS Repulse
-HMS Royal Oak

War graves and memorials

-BB Arizona
-BB Utah

There are still some famous ships at the bottom of the sea inexplored or sometimes of very difficult access ,like the carrier Courageous,the supercarrier Shinano,the CV-2 Lexington,the carriers Shokaku and Zuikaku,the Battleship Roma,the Fiume,Pola and Zara sunken at Matapan,etc.Maybe a day in a hipotetic future,we can look a image of the remmants of U-47 or U-99.I think,modesty,and excluding of course the loss of life,the bottom of the sea is always a more digne place for a ship to die(and live, why not?)and not the scrapping yard.

Regards

cpt_Alex2006
08-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Good post, very reflective.

VikingGrandad
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
What about HMS Barham?

Danelov
08-19-2006, 07:51 PM
I dont know. I have nothing finded about him ,but after a so such terrible explosion the ship was certainly desintegrated in thousand of pieces.Peace to the souls of the 862 crew loss, of a complement of 1260.