PDA

View Full Version : attacking airfields



dogstar4000
08-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi,

Im reffering here to my offline Jabo career.

What is the best way to go about destroying an enemy airfield? Obviously take out the AA first, but then?
Is it most important to take out enemy aircraft on the ground? Or bomb hangars so that all enemy aircraft have to be kept in the open ( = easy targets). Does bombing the control tower have an advantage?
Is destroying fuel storage areas tactically important?

Grateful for any suggestions.

FritzGryphon
08-06-2005, 04:00 AM
When your target is to DESTROY GROUND over a wide area, the game weighs all objects equally.

Of course, you should do what the briefing tells you (you might have to destroy a certain object or whatnot), but otherwise, you just have to kill a certain number of objects in the target area.

So killing a truck would be worth just as much as a plane, or an entire hangar. You should attack the things you can kill most easily, and in the greatest numbers (clusters of objects).

You might often find strategically placed fuel trucks or fuel traincars lying about, like the exploding barrels in Doom. Those are good to shoot for the collateral damage they do.

dogstar4000
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
cheers Fritz

wayno7777
08-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Usually when I myself go sliding across the tarmac, I get lots of stuff blown up... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Atomic_Marten
08-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by dogstar4000:
Hi,

Im reffering here to my offline Jabo career.

What is the best way to go about destroying an enemy airfield? Obviously take out the AA first, but then?
Is it most important to take out enemy aircraft on the ground? Or bomb hangars so that all enemy aircraft have to be kept in the open ( = easy targets). Does bombing the control tower have an advantage?
Is destroying fuel storage areas tactically important?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Like other guys suggested, and you already mentioned always go for the AA first then for targets that will be destroyed with most ease.

When attacking AA, always do it on very high speed and never pull up immediatelly after strafing run. Fly fast and low and slightly change course untill you are on reasonable distance from them. (minor chance your aircraft will receive hit)

I tend to approach on slightly off attacking course (to distract AA as much as possible), and on the distance about 1k from target I try to adjust my sight on target.

Vital thing in the whole story is speed. Angle of attack is also of importance, since it must be favourable in order to inflict damage as much as possible. So no sharp angles and blunt angles (sorry if the word is inapropriate I mean opposite of sharp), while blunt angles can be good many times you will find yourself unable to pull out from dive.

Next, NEVER shoot from Emil's cannons unless you make sure that you will hit. That is due to it's low ammo capacity.
Without 20mm's Emil's fire capabilities are the worst in game, you have left with 2x7,62mms only and it is wise that you disengage immediately after that from attacking ground targets unless they are the 'softest' possible and no threat near. You will spend some time working on them with 7,62s http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. (AA and bandits)

Also make sure that your cannons are adjusted to certain distance (Gun convergence) that you are accustomed to. That may as well be 500m(0,5k), but I will reccomend lower around 350-400m. That works for me the best when attacking ground in Emil. Note here that if you set it on 500m and you open fire on 250m it wont be that easy like if you set them on for example 300m, since many well aimed projectiles will miss...

About bomb loads, I would reccomend that you set delay of about 2s. Setting delay will allow you to do some very precise skip bomb runs. If you go extremely low without delay, you may damage your plane while attacking target with bombs.http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/grenade.gif Also take note that when you set the delay, another thing that determines where the bombs will be set off is your speed. More speed -- the longer will bomb travel (bounce) once it hits ground.

About hangars.. don't know really. I don't attack them oftenly. Anyway I first go for AA, soft targets like trucks, motorbikes etc. (unless I get orders to 'pay special attention' to planes) then for planes and after that for rest.
Tanks are out of question if I don't have any bombs left.

Zeus-cat
08-06-2005, 03:41 PM
In reference to the game and the scoring system, the first thing is to destroy enough AAA to make it "safe" so that you can make multiple attacks. Then target planes, trucks and guns. Anything that is not worth points (buildings, control tower, gun emplacements) isn't worth the effort. You get no points and the game ignores it n determining if you win or lose. The above assumes you are attcking with a fighter-bomber and have enough ordinance to make multiple attacks. If you can only make one pass take out the planes and get out fast.

Zeus-cat

LStarosta
08-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I-153P is the best ground attack aircraft in the game.

Those 2x20mm cannons make short work of tanks, and the 8 rockets are vicious. It n00bz the P47 because it can weave through flak. I can stay over a well defended airfield and fricken not get hit. Ever.

Atomic_Marten
08-06-2005, 08:51 PM
That's because AI n00b(s) are man the AA.

Now, if I was the flak gunner you wouldn't last more than 10s regardless of what you fly.http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/automatedlaserdefense.gif

Pirschjaeger
08-06-2005, 09:16 PM
My initial attack involves strafing the fighters in the first past. In reality, you don't want them to get in the air. Also, I get to view the position of the possible targets and make a mental map. Depending on the success of the first pass, I may make a second strafing run on the fighters. I also think it's a good idea to extend far to have maximum speed on the next pass.

I never attack the AAA for two reasons, firstly the value of a dead AAA cannon is less than the value of a destroyed bomber or fighter and is much harder to hit. Secondly, we don't get much ammo to play with and the AAA can easily hit you when you are flying towards them.

Fuel trucks are easily replacable where aircraft are not. What would you rather paint on the side of your a/c, a fuel truck or a bomber. Depending on your choice, you might become the butt of everyone's jokes back at the barracks. Take out the a/c and the fuel trucks become useless in reality; who needs a fuel truck with no machine to fuel? If you are lucky enough to disable the a/c on the field and still have ammo left, then go for things like fuel depots and fuel trucks. But still, I'd rather save my ammo in case I met unfriendlies on the way back to base. As I said, fuel trucks are useless without a/c in need of fuel.

This of course is simply my opinion. I like to make it as realistic as possible. If you fly with unlimited ammo, then simply go "postal" and take out every target. But then that's not realistic is it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
08-06-2005, 09:19 PM
A few reality questions.

If an airfield was being attacked, and there were bombers on the ground, wouldn't the gunner crews jump into their bombers and assist the AAA from the ground?

Or, would they run for cover, being that a bomber crew is less a replacable asset than the bomber itself?

Fritz

Xiolablu3
08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Little .303 caliber weapons were pretty useless when in the air, never mind shooting at planes zooming overhead. Even with .50 cal you would be lucky to score any hits. Gun turrets on planes were really there to stop fighters getting to close than actually shooting them down.

The german 4x20mm Anti Air tanks were really hard to hit planes with, so 1x .50 cal or .303 wouldnt make much difference. Maybe firing it might be good for moral thats about it.

They would take cover, be sure.

SithSpeeder
08-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Good question, dogstar.

I'm gonna make an assumption that you have wingmen (the more the better) AND you are the squad lead AND there are no enemy planes taking off or otherwise cover the base. If so:
1. Direct some of the wingmen to take out the AAA
2. See if they are successful and if they are not, direct other wingmen.
3. If they are not, do the job yourself! Once the AAA is clear, direct your wingmen to attack all ground targets and join in on the "fun"
4. Use your guns for fighters on the ground
5. Save your bombs/rockets for bombers and tanks on the ground
6. Any leftovers would be for vehicles.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

FI-Aflak
08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
A few reality questions.

If an airfield was being attacked, and there were bombers on the ground, wouldn't the gunner crews jump into their bombers and assist the AAA from the ground?

Or, would they run for cover, being that a bomber crew is less a replacable asset than the bomber itself?

Fritz

they'd go for cover.

The bomber needs to be powered up to work the turrets (or at least batteries turned on), so they couldn't just hop in and go, and their weaponry isn't nearly as effective as what the triple-A boys have (smaller, so it can be put in a bomber.).

Pirschjaeger
08-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by FI-Aflak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
A few reality questions.

If an airfield was being attacked, and there were bombers on the ground, wouldn't the gunner crews jump into their bombers and assist the AAA from the ground?

Or, would they run for cover, being that a bomber crew is less a replacable asset than the bomber itself?

Fritz

they'd go for cover.

The bomber needs to be powered up to work the turrets (or at least batteries turned on), so they couldn't just hop in and go, and their weaponry isn't nearly as effective as what the triple-A boys have (smaller, so it can be put in a bomber.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your's and Xiolablu3's answers are logical. I would have thought the turrets were electrically operated and therefor work from the batteries in the plane.

Also, the bomber guns were not so powerful. Makes sense.

Thx guyz. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fritz

LStarosta
08-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
My initial attack involves strafing the fighters in the first past. In reality, you don't want them to get in the air. Also, I get to view the position of the possible targets and make a mental map. Depending on the success of the first pass, I may make a second strafing run on the fighters. I also think it's a good idea to extend far to have maximum speed on the next pass.

I never attack the AAA for two reasons, firstly the value of a dead AAA cannon is less than the value of a destroyed bomber or fighter and is much harder to hit. Secondly, we don't get much ammo to play with and the AAA can easily hit you when you are flying towards them.

Fuel trucks are easily replacable where aircraft are not. What would you rather paint on the side of your a/c, a fuel truck or a bomber. Depending on your choice, you might become the butt of everyone's jokes back at the barracks. Take out the a/c and the fuel trucks become useless in reality; who needs a fuel truck with no machine to fuel? If you are lucky enough to disable the a/c on the field and still have ammo left, then go for things like fuel depots and fuel trucks. But still, I'd rather save my ammo in case I met unfriendlies on the way back to base. As I said, fuel trucks are useless without a/c in need of fuel.

This of course is simply my opinion. I like to make it as realistic as possible. If you fly with unlimited ammo, then simply go "postal" and take out every target. But then that's not realistic is it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

Sometimes, in dogfight servers, I take out the AAA sometimes just for the fact that it will be easier to transit to targets further inside enemy territory if anti-air defences have been neutralized.