PDA

View Full Version : what comes first?Hotas,pedals or track ir?

s.bush
12-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Or do you buy them all in one go and get it out of the way and concentrate on other more important issues?
S.Bush

horseback
12-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Since I went for a CH pedals setup initially with a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro2, I went for the pedals first, rapidly followed by the Combatstick and Pro Throttle HOTAS (I was temporarily solvent at the time).

As a practical matter, you can always get a reasonably priced basic joystick/throttle combo for under $100 US, and then find a set of USB Pro Pedals for another $100 or so. Then, if you are so inclined, you can cough up the $$ for the TrackIR.

cheers

horseback

badatit
12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
TrackIR

x__CRASH__x
12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
A new computer.

georgeo76
12-01-2004, 01:05 PM
HOTAS

Pedals

Then you wait fro TIR to come down to a reasonable price (say $50) and get yourself one of those too.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Kinda depends on where you stand right now. If you already have a joystick (especially one that allows for rudder control i.e "twisty"), then I would say get the TarckIR first (and get the 3 pro) and use it in conjunction with your current stick. This will free up a possible hatswitch that you've been currently using for POV and will be the shortest learning curve as you're already familiar with your controller.

If you're starting from scratch, then I would recommend getting a really good joystick first and make do with the rest. I recommend a CH Fighterstick if you're right-handed and a CH Flightstick Pro if you're lefty. Then TrackIR, then pedals, then throttle.

The throttle offers considerable functionality, but most is fine-tuning more obscure controls.

s.bush
12-01-2004, 02:13 PM
My joystick is the SAITECK evo force which i just received last weeck,i did not know that you can buy the HOTAS throttle separately i will call tomorrow Germany to check,the X52 is now selling at 135 EUROS delivered.The TRACK IR PRO is selling at over 150 EUROS which means approx 170 usd !!!!

X52 135 EUROS
CH PEDALS 150 EUROS
TRACK IR 150 EUROS
---------
435 EUROS +- 500 USD
Thats the bill if you want to face the aces online considering you already have a decent pc.
S.BUSH

raaaid
12-01-2004, 03:04 PM
wait till christmas to the new trackir to come it will let you look behind bars or see above your nose

6 axes of movement for the head this beats any hotas or rudder

JG27_Arklight
12-01-2004, 03:10 PM
TrackIR.

"Usually" if you see the other guy first then you have an advantage.

Purchase the product that enhances your ability to see the other players/AI.

Maj_Death
12-01-2004, 03:39 PM
HOTAS, then pedals and if you have more money than you know what to do with then get a track IR.

FoolTrottel
12-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Pedals!Pedals!Pedals!Pedals!

Even before you need to keep the enemy in sight, even before you need to have situational awereness figured out, you need to be able to really control your aircraft!

1. Joystick
2. Pedals!
3. TrackIr
4. HOTAS

jeroen-79
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
If you only do FB/PF then a HOTAS would have a lower priority.
If you fly modern sims as well then I would advise one.

After that it would be either TIR or pedals.
TIR if you have a twisty stick.

If you want a CH set then you could buy the stick first and the throttle later.
OTH, if you have money for a CH stick you could also buy a Saitek HOTAS.

Tocca4
12-01-2004, 07:32 PM
If i were to fly without my pedals i'd be a bit irritated about having to use a "twistrudder".

If i were to fly with a simple joystick instead of my Hotas i'd be even more irritated and i would loose some immersion from having to use the keyboard.

If i would have to give up my Track-IR i don't think i would play flightsims anymore, it would feel so dull and lifeless after having had it!!

My 2cents.

JG27_Arklight
12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I did fine without a HOTAS for a LONG time.

Having a HOTAS doesn't help me in "full real" servers like TrackIR does. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, having a HOTAS is GREAT, but using TrackIR REALLY added to the immersion.

ZG77_Lignite
12-01-2004, 09:02 PM
When I got my throttle, I thought it was great. Then I got peddles, best things since sliced bread. Then the TIR came along, and I honestly don't enjoy playing without it. So, since hindsight is 20/20 (or 20/10 if your a fighter pilot), I'd say don't pass up on the TIR, it really adds something special.

Airmikey2
12-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Trackir makes flights sims flight sims in my book. I am an immersion junkie above all else and Trackir takes me there.

Airmikey

JohnnyBlademan
12-02-2004, 07:41 AM
I have a MS Sidewinder stick and I'm used to the twist rudder and it has a throttle on it, so TrackIR for me. Everyone who has one raves about it and I lose more enemies online because of not seeing their jink after they leave my direct field of vision.

Jason Bourne
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
well, I only have a Logi X3D Pro and im doing fine online, since its got twisty rudder on it. But I am going to be upgrading to a X-52 once i go off to college, since i really dont want to have to take my hands to far away from the throttle to control mix.

HotelBushranger
12-05-2004, 12:28 AM
if money was no option, id say Track IR, then a nice HOTAS setup, then lastly pedals. i dont see anything REALLY beneficial bout pedals.

Tully__
12-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Personal choice. If you're happy with view systems but struggling with controls, get pedals. If you're happy with controls but struggling with view systems, get TIR. TIR will not (in most cases) instantly solve your view issues, but with a properly set up profile and a week or two of practice you'll be a new pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

BluesmanSF
12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
Are you really saying that someone have spent 150$ for pedals?! Are they really so expensive? I'd suggest to buy a decent steering wheel (you can have a VERY GOOD steering wheel AND pedals under 150$) and using the pedals that came with the steering wheel..
I'm very happy with my 2 years old MS Sidewinder Steering wheel's pedals, AND I can play rally games every now and then.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
And I think a decent joystick and pedals first, then perhaps TIR or HOTAS. But, that's just my opinion.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cheers!